Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hybrid View

Thanks for posting those articles MikeM. Cof D is investigating the source of our problems in Detroit south of Jefferson and west of Alter Rd. and East of Conner/Clairpointe Rd. Hopefully, they will be as forthcoming with us as GPF has been with its residents.

I live in a place that doesn't have a basement, partially because I grew up in a Detroit home and recently moved from an Ann Arbor home that were both Flood City whenever it rained hard. [[My former A2 housemate says that things were flooding pretty badly there yesterday -- I can only imagine.)

And you guys keep jumping all over me when I want to drop that pipeline in the lakes. Sheesh.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    And you guys keep jumping all over me when I want to drop that pipeline in the lakes. Sheesh.
    Ray you are welcome to all the water from my basement you want. I'll even provide the shop vac and buckets.

Anybody go canoeing on Hines Park Dr. today??

No, but I went water skiing on Grand River - nyuk, nyuk.

Basement sewer drain backed up in GP - about 1 inch or so, but just enough to ruin everything that was on the floor. Forced us to clean out the basement, but it will take a few days to get all the junk out of there.

The Clinton River is expected to crest at 19.2 feet, 3.2 feet over its flood height.

The new floating canoe dock on the Clinton in Utica's Heritage Park appears to be floating at the top of its piers. You'd have to take a canoe to it to launch a canoe. Its ramp is sloping upward:

There's a photo of it in normal conditions at Reasons To Hope - What Realized Developments Encourage You.

In southwest Utica, Davis Dr. is flooded north of River Vista St. but houses there are built on top of garages for just this reason. Cars are temporarily parked elsewhere.

A meager sandbag attempt on Nichols St. The Clinton can be seen just above them in the photo. The river is higher than the road in the foreground. This area has flooded in the past.

This is news? This was a common, almost annual occurrance while I was there.

You want flooding news? Read up on what's been happening along the Mississippi River over the last month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    This is news? This was a common, almost annual occurrance while I was there.
    It may not be "news" but it's probably the worst flooding since 1973.

Great pix, Jimaz. Thx.

Thanks for the offer, Lowell, but the outlook for Lake Mead this year is excellent. For a change.

I remember the great flood of 1976. That was a monster in michigan

[[Not So) Pure Michigan: Monsoon Season- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLaVU...ature=youtu.be

Utica's floating canoe launch floated right off a pier. They needed taller piers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Utica's floating canoe launch floated right off a pier. They needed taller piers.
    Each pier is surrounded by a box containing four rollers. One of the rollers became caught on the edge of that pier as the flood receded. It's bent now. Maybe welding steel cones on top of the piers would suffice to guide the rollers over the edge more gracefully.

From the Detroit NWS office:

Detroit Metro Airport has received 14.60 inches of preciptiation during the 2011 spring season, making it the 2nd wettest on record. The wettest spring on record for Detroit occurred in 1947 when 16.31 inches fell. Detroit's records date back to 1874.

To put the wet weather into another perspective, Detroit has had 52 days of measurable precipitation this spring including May 29. The average for spring is 37 days of measurable precipitation for Detroit. This places 2011 in first place for the most days of precipitation during the spring.

The area was soaked to begin with. The morning of the 25th, Wayne County needed only an inch of rain in an hour or less than two inches in six hours to trigger flash-flood conditions:

By the folowing day the entire region was extremely wet:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2