I remember as a kid riding with my parents west on 14 Mile Rd. to visit Grandma and Grandpa in Clawson and there was a pretty eerie looking farmhouse and adjacent barn on the grounds of Maple Lane Golf Course. The house sat about 1/4 mile west of Maple Lane/Chicago Rd. on the north side [[Sterling Heights) of 14 Mile.

I remember going by it one day and seeing that it had burned, and if it was eerie looking before, it was outright frightening looking after the fire. OK, so I was a little kid but for some reason even now, at 33, I cannot get that image out of my head. it was permanently burned into my brain.

Not long after the fire the house was demolished, and all that remains is the foundation and boarded up basement, and the last time I went by there, the barn is still standing.

Needless to say I've searched in vain to find pictures of that farmhouse, using Google and Bing with all kinds of search terms but to no avail. The amount of luck I've had is zero.

The Sterling Heights Public Library has a page for the Sterling Heights Historical Commission which talks about the history of the golf course: http://www.shpl.net/SHHCArticles.html#Maple_Lane

The write-up was done by SHHC commissioner Laura Szpont, but there is no contact information for her on either the SHPL or Sterling Heights' municipal website. Interestingly, while Ms. Szpont's write-up talks about the history of the farm that existed there, and the golf course, it speaks nothing about the farmhouse or the fire. Two family names were given as early owners of the farm, the first being the Stickney family and the second being the Wieg family.

Does anybody have any pictures of the farmhouse that they'd be willing to share, either before or [[preferably) after the fire [[before demolition, of course)? Also, does anyone recall what year the fire occurred? What about the cause? And if memory serves me right, I think it was an elderly lady who lived there and she may have passed in the fire.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Matt