Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by blksoul_x View Post
    Now that WCHB 1200 AM has switched back to Black talk radio all day, [[instead of the sudden switch to an all gospel music format__go figure!)__ I'd say, I'm back on the bandwagon with WCHB, as the BEST in the City, providing our voiceless village a voice! All we need now is to bring back Michael Eric Dyson!

Second, I'd say 107.5 WGPR with Mason in the Morning, and Karen Dumas speaking the truth on Sunday evenings.

Let the Truth be heard!

SAVE BLACK RADIO!

blksoul_atcha!
    The BJL, the color you love to hate!
    Michael Eric Dyson is doing a public radio show these days...it premiered in April, I believe. Here are stations currently carrying it.

Baltimore MD - WEAA - 1:00PM
    Montgomery AL - WVAS - 12:00PM
    Huntsville AL - WJAB - 3:30PM
    Atlanta GA - WCLK - 6:00PM
    Waterloo IA - KBBG - 12:00PM
    Jackson MS - WJSU - 4:00PM
    Alcorn MS - WPRL - 9:00AM
    Holly Springs MS - WURC - 4:00PM
    Las Vegas NV - KCEP - 10:00AM
    Durham NC - WNCU - 5:00PM
    Raleigh NC - WSHA - 1:00PM
    Elizabeth City NC - WRVS - 6:00PM
    Fayetteville NC - WFSS - 3:00PM
    Winston Salem NC - WSNC - 4:30PM
    Wilberforce OH - WCSU - Afternoons [[time to come)
    Houston TX - KTSU - 6:00PM
    Prairie View TX - KPVU - 5:00PM
    Norfolk VA - WNSB - Mornings [[time to come)

Not sure of any plans to carry this in Detroit. If I hear anything, I'll post it.

I'll listen to the River if I haven't any CD's or my iPod in my car.

95.5 baby!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    Wow, we finally found the person who listens to 93.9! I knew it had to be somebody!
    I count 3 on here, jackie, oldredford, and myself!

This is such a totally subjective topic to discuss here.

If one likes news, you'll probably lean towards a WWJ. If one likes sports, you'll probably lean towards 97.1 or what's left of the WDFN. If someone likes country, rock, gospel or any other genre-- they're obviously going to lean towards their own genre. What's considered best is so arbitrary- what I consider best might be un-listenable to someone else.

But personally I like my radio stations to be informative- whether they play music, talk about sports or just plain talk radio on a myriad of topics. Educate me. Give me an opposing view- get me thinking or at the very least, play some sort of music I've never heard before and tell me something about that artist or that song beyond just the title.

Whatever happened to the days when radio itself was a medium and not just a place to hear canned repetitive noise?

"Ah yes the Coachman. would that be the Electrifying Mojo or the other Mojo guy?"

There is only one Mojo.

91.5 c-jam plays some great off the wall music. They also have some bizarre shows, like the two female animal rights activists. They discuss the lastest news in animal rights and give you tips on how to get involved. It almost sounds like an SNL skit...

Then for some of the most incendiary and offensive radio tune into 103.5

I mostly go back and forth between 101.9 and 91.7 though and when I want music i use my ipod

My opinion, but most radio in Detroit sucks ass! There is not really a true mix of music, if I listened to WCXS, they'd play mostly the same playlist.

For the longest time, my favorite genre of music wasn't even broadcast. I was one of those that listened faithfully to WQRS and was VERY upset when the format was tanked for that "edge" format. I called it the "Edge of Abyss", and really missed hearing Dr. Dave Wagner, Chas Greenwell and the other fine musicians that presented classical music in town. Thank goodness that there was a movement to return classical music to Detroit!. It was a pleasure the other evening when Hornwrecker and I were finished with the Grosse Pointe Symphony dress rehearsal and we were able to listen to a live performance of Carmen by the Michigan Opera Theatre on our way home! Pure pleasure!. Thank goodness WRCJ has returned, and there is good music that I can listen to classical during the day, and classic progressive jazz at night.

Mike minus Drew is a tough listen for me. He's a second banana and he just can't cut it as a lead.

WWJ isn't bad, but the overly giddy Roberta Jesienna grates on me at times.

I listen to WJR but the morning show seems to drag. Too many commercials/promotions. I think Paul W is a pretty good interviewer and he has some good guests but he needs move the show along at a quicker pace.

It was Sinatra on Sirius radio this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by rjk View Post
    WWJ isn't bad, but the overly giddy Roberta Jesienna grates on me at times.
    No kidding, she never used to be that way. It seems to me she's only been that way maybe the past 3 yrs or so. It does get annoying, especially when she's trying to give you that feeling of being left in suspense for her next news story [[that usually turns out to be irrelevant) while the commercial plays.

I don't listen to regular radio much anymore. Satelite has become my favorite thing since sliced bread. The radio market here isn't what it used to be. I remember back in the 90's there were so many niche stations that it was great. There was a channel for whatever you were in the mood for. Too many commercials and too few players these days as far as I'm concerned.

Sludgedaddy Guest

CJAM is Cool! I miss the Electrifyin' Mojo and Willy Wilson. Also Miss old WDTR's Old and Gold program and the "Kill Whitey Hour" that followed it back in the day.

I only wish it's signal was stronger to be picked up in Detroit and environs, WCXI...real country, Western, bluegrass, hillybilly gospel,and not the Urban Sprawl that is touted as "Country" today. Give me a sip o' shine, some Mountain Billy-Bud and the old Carter Family with an occaisional dose of Uncle Dave Macon with a liberal dash of Red River Dave tossed in. 1160 AM.

WRIF 101.1 Mike in the Morning, in the morning.

Used to listen to WDFN 1130AM the rest of the day until it went off the air [[as far as I'm concerned) back in January.

I have gone to the enemy, 1270 / 97.1 to a certain extent but there is only so much of the hosts arguing with the callers or dismissing their opinions outright that I can stand. Makes me miss Stoney & Wojo all the more.

I actually have found myself listening to WKNR 850AM out of Cleveland more and more for my sports talk. At certain times of the day I can pick it up on my car radio as clear as anything local. I started listening to Jim Rome on KNR instead of DFN cause, like I said, DFN is dead to me. I have stuck around after Rome signs off. I would rather listen to the "Lebron James is God" and the "Indians suck" talk on KNR than the all New York and Los Angeles all the time talk on DFN.

Blarf Guest

97.1 has actual shows? I thought they just played commercials?

While I cannot say its the best, The only station the family can agree upon in the car is 89X.

Count me in as another River listener. I actually like when they put the new stuff in rotation. I used to love their morning program but I grew tired of hearing the same traffic and weather reports take up the 90 minutes in the morning I listen to the radio. The morning music blocks are great but way too short. It's back to CDs in the am for me.

Default Commercials, commercials

I would like to listen to more radio here in Detroit, but everytime I tune it to a station I like I have to sit through 6-10 minutes of inane commercials. So in goes my MP3 player.
    I truly miss WDFN, especially Stoney and Wojo, it was good to have two sports stations. 97.1 isn't bad but Jay and Bill in the morning got old real fast. Can you say clueless? I swear these guys don't have an original thought in their heads plus they seem to never know what they are talking about. I usually switch to DFN in the morning from 7-9 since that is the only time they talk local sports. The rest of the time it's "all NBA all the time", or the Kobe/Lebron lovefest. Hockey is rarely discussed.
    For music, it's 93.9 for variety although they are now playing a little too much classic rock via CSX for me. My teenage boys force me to listen to 89X and for most of the time it's OK. I can remember when that station first started and it was awesome. WRIF forgot what decade they are in and their morning show sucks except for Jamie Samuelsson.
    For an alternative to WJR and their conservative windbags one should listen to AM1310, except during mid afternoon, after that Ed Schultz is informative and will really get your blood boiling.

WRCJ 90.9 - Classical all day by some of the old WQRS guys, Jazz all night - Tony Mowod from 7 - 11 PM from a Pittsburgh feed... No Commercials.

AM 1310 is cool for politics, especially Thom Hartman. He really knows what he is talking about, and gives intellectual opinions. He also frequently has right wing guests on, and lets them lay out their point of view. I could never see Rush, Levin, Hannity, or any of the other right wing nuts doing that on their programs, they only scream at folks with the opposing view.

Music radio here has been so bad for so long that no one knows what good radio is. I long for the days of WABX, CJOM, early WWWW and WJZZ. Djs that played what they wanted and informed and entertained. This is such a great music town its a shame we don't have great stations here.

Well, as Ccbatson would say, in a free market society, let a free market decide what you listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Well, as Ccbatson would say, in a free market society, let a free market decide what you listen.
    Or let Clear Channel and other conglomerates buy up entire markets and dictate to us what we should be listening to. Beyond the advent of iPods, satellite radio, and personalized music choices- I think the homogenization of our airwaves really has driven many music listeners to abandon hope for truly informed radio at times.

Haven't listend to over the air radio since about 2004, but if you want to talk about Sirius...

It's such a shame, too. Detroit used to have some of the most unique radio stations in the country. Now we only have syndication...

Default Favorite Radio Station

90.9 FM.....Classical by day....Real Jazz by night.

93.9FM. A great mix of old and new songs. After that 1270 Terry & Mike. I want to punch Mike in the face sometimes but he is right a lot of the time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast