Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Normally I consider it a positive thing when parents show a strong interest in their child's education... [[this is the sarcastic part of my post)

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    Shoot the landlord, beat up the principal. Sadly, as long as people like this make up a significant number of Detroiters, Detroit can never come back.
    "People like this" do NOT "make up a significant number of Detroiters." They are a minority, no matter how profound they seem in society. Things like this are sensational and grab attention. They seem larger due to all the other problems going on, but this can happen anywhere [[and actually does happen elsewhere.) The difference is that there is a significant number of persons who will not let anything negative go in this city, because it must be the city's fault. Is it a problem? Damn right it is. But part of the problem is the perception that in Detroit this is the norm as opposed to a problem. If it happens in Detroit, it is made out to be that everybody is like this. If it happens in the metropolitan area outside of the city, frequently Detroit gets conveniently mentioned. There are way to many assholes in Detroit. There are a lot elsewhere too.

Ah yes, the mantra of those behaving disrespectfully - yet demanding respect!
    Quote Originally Posted by One Shot View Post
    "Don't you know who the f$&@ I am!"

When I was in school, the school had total authority over me [[in my parents' eyes).
    Yeah, well, that whole school authority thing goes out the window when you have administrators getting caught with naughty pictures on their school computers like in Grosse Pointe South. When you want to teach a student to look up to administrators and teachers, you have to make sure they're worth looking up to.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitTeacher View Post
    Welcome to MY world. Cell phone scramblers should certainly be used in schools. The kids cause nothing but havoc with them, calling their people to the school for petty stuff. I really don't understand why families would get involved in drama at school, anyway [[they don't protect their child, they come to cause trouble). If I would have called my mother because someone was picking on me in school, she'd have laughed and told me to shrug it off [[I"m not talking serious bullying). If I called her to the school because a teacher had somehow treated me "poorly", she would have whooped my ass when I got home for being stupid. Had she texted me when I was in school and I texted back during class, she would have whooped my ass for not using class time appropriately. She would have done this, repeatedly, as a test. When I was in school, the school had total authority over me [[in my parents' eyes). What happened at school was never enough...I got it when I got home, too, for making my parents look bad. They never questioned the school, whatever happened was ALWAYS my fault. I never got into any trouble at school...ever. I knew what the rules were in my house.
    I'm with you DT !! Before we can even began to tackle the education part of school, the discipline part needs to be addressed. Kids are allowed to act out, speak to adults disrespectfully, have cell phones in their hands more than a text book. Proper discipline is fundamental to receiving a proper education. After all in a class room of 30-35 kids how many kids do you think it would take to disrupt the class room to the extent that no learning is taking place. I would bet 5 or even less. Detroit's education outcomes are so dismal that we are at the point where we can't even allow a minority of students or parents to shut down the educational process.

These schools are really going need to get a grip on how cell phones are going to be addressed.
    These smart phones are nothing but small computers and these kids can do everything but school work on them. Parents don't help the situation by saying that they need to stay in touch with their little darling. Well how did they do it back in the day ?? They called the office and the office paged the kid.

The crazy thing one day I was in a school and the teacher was giving out a math assignment. There weren't enough calculators to go around [[ why am I not surprised by that) so he said use the calculator on your cell phone. LOL
    Last edited by firstandten; May-22-11 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    ... There weren't enough calculators to go around [[ why I am not surprised by that) so he said use the calculator on your cell phone. LOL
    This would be another innovative solution to that problem: Make your own circular slide rule.

When I was in school my 7th grade math teacher saw me using a calculator on a test. He took it away and quickly found I had no idea how to do simple division. He made a point of teaching it to me. I consider him to have been a damn good teacher.

Parents are really different now days. When I was a student if there was a dispute between me and the teacher the burden was on me to convince my parents that I wasn't the one at fault. If they were going to come up to the school based on a dispute it better be for a good reason.

Now the attitude is I'm coming to the school and get everybody straight without acknowledging the role that there offspring had in the dispute.

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    When I was in school my 7th grade math teacher saw me using a calculator on a test. He took it away and quickly found I had no idea how to do simple division. He made a point of teaching it to me. I consider him to have been a damn good teacher.
    I don't have a problem with students using calculators its a good tool, but they should know how to the math with pen and paper.

Again its about learning the fundamentals first, then using the tools to make things easlier

I am sure there were pervs in charge when I was in school, too. It just wasn't as easy to figure out who they were because we didn't have technology back then. I'm talking the days of a touch tone phone [[it was the latest rage), a curly chord that was attached to the wall so everyone in the house heard your conversation, NO answering machines [[if ya weren't home, ya weren't home) and if you wanted to know who was calling, you actually had to pick up the phone to find out. It was also pre-cable. I was the antennae and remote control, in my house.

Attila the Hun could have been in charge. It mattered little, in my parents' eyes. The school was right and I was wrong [[I doubt I could have formed a persuasive enough speech to convince my parents otherwise). I was afraid of the consequences if I acted up in school. I was afraid less of what the school would do with me compared to what my parents would do to me [[and the two were acting in tandem).

I also knew that if anyone did anything that was sexually motivated, I could tell my parents and they would believe me and would have done something about it. I don't think anyone I ever knew, growing up, would have fibbed about that one. I think we all thought our fathers would be guilty of murder had it happened and we weren't about to tell that big whopper of a lie. Because we were let loose in the neighborhood, we were well aware of what was appropriate behavior for adults and what wasn't [[when it came to a relationship with kids).

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Yeah, well, that whole school authority thing goes out the window when you have administrators getting caught with naughty pictures on their school computers like in Grosse Pointe South. When you want to teach a student to look up to administrators and teachers, you have to make sure they're worth looking up to.
    Last edited by DetroitTeacher; May-22-11 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    It's not just the Administrators with naughty pictures on their computers that has lowered the authority of school personnel; Over the last 20/30 years we've seen lines of teachers parading on TV many times demanding more money and enhanced conditions and we've seen what a motley crew of people they are. They have forfeited their authority by showing us who they are. We used to think they were special but now we know they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by eno View Post
    What's lacking in this story is any reporting on what allegedly upset the parents. I'm not trying to justify their behavior if it is as it is reported. But the reader doesn't know that. You're reading the DPS version of events with no effort to report on the parent's version. Just saying.
    As a child I was taught to never hit. Only animals or those without the ability to reason hit. I doubt the DPS version-parents physically lashing out, is too far from what occurred, whatever the stimulus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So the part of the thread title... "PARENTS OF THE YEAR NOMINEES" .... was just your spin on "sleazy journalism"... blog style....

Nice!

It's fun throwing fuel onto the fire....
    hi - welcome to the internet

Excuse me, but I don't see anything in the official charges about battery. Assault is a very broad term, legally meaning to threaten harm but not actually commit battery. And disorderly conduct is not battery either. Did they actually do any harm to anybody? I know that sometimes just pointing a finger at an official in anger can result in an agg. ass. charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Excuse me, but I don't see anything in the official charges about battery. Assault is a very broad term, legally meaning to threaten harm but not actually commit battery. And disorderly conduct is not battery either. Did they actually do any harm to anybody? I know that sometimes just pointing a finger at an official in anger can result in an agg. ass. charge.
    we were going by this statement in the article

Two parents were arrested today for allegedly beating up several students, teachers and the principal at a Detroit school, a school district official confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    we were going by this statement in the article

Two parents were arrested today for allegedly beating up several students, teachers and the principal at a Detroit school, a school district official confirmed.
    Yeah, but that's after the word "allegedly," which means that somebody said that. But nowhere does it appear in the charges, and there are no witnesses in the article. Something strange about that, yes?

Or, you can get your exercise by rushing to judgment and jumping to conclusions ...

bizarre.. I wonder how Roy Roberts will address community relations..

They must have been "disrespected". Code for, "I will do what the fuck I want if I don't get my way."

They are attacking children??????

I wonder if the mom that was so upset that the school hadn't contacted her, I wonder if she is that passionate about her child getting his homework done and studying every night. I like the idea of cell phone scramblers and think they would be valuable in many businesses. How in the world do you conduct business and you on the phone?
    Last edited by Nee; May-27-11 at 05:16 PM.

Some parents instead of focusing on the basics like is my child getting the homework done, or doing well on the test or behaving in school too often get caught up in slights or perceived slights of there children by the school, usually involving a dispute with another child. Instead of using that dispute as a teachable moment with a lession of how to get along with people or conflict resolution, some parents want to use that moment as a way of "getting with" the schools administration to show them that they can't do that to my kid.

So you have parents coming up to the school acting badly, wrong as two left shoes, raising hell.
    Its no wonder you have a generation of kids who know no other way of solving disputes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2