Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by casscorridor View Post
    It just needs the right sort of restaurant, although I agree with you that the owner is a problem. You see, the restaurants that tried opening there were mediocre delis, nothing special [[and there have been a string of failures in this category downtown including the ice cream shop/deli on Monroe, the two failures this Broadway/Gratiot spot, and a failed place on E Grand River next to Al's Paradise Cafe). We need something unique. There are no Indian restaurants anywhere in Detroit [[not including Hamtramck), the one Ethiopian place that exists [[in Eastern Market) is mediocre and they don't even cook the food on-site, but rather drive it in from Southfield [[yuck!). Not to say we don't need more deli places, we need more of everything [[specifically more deli places like Russell Street or Mudgies). But we need more unique places, food Detroit doesn't offer [[yet).
    I feel that a coffee shop would be right for that spot for ther area doesn't have enough of them saving 1515 Broadway wich is nice but limited space.. There were people coming or going to an event at the Opera House and came into 1515. They had came back out immediately when there were no seating space. I love 1515 but another coffee shop would fit. I feel that the spot inside the Carey building was good for a coffee shop for it's wood floors and open space. It could accent the other restaurants on the strip. I see work is also being done inside the storefront which housed CityWarehouse clothing. I wonder what that is going to be. That strip of Broadway has the potential to be a destination such as Greektown is on Monroe.

agrahlma Guest

IMO – there is no way this is going to be a legitimate physical therapy operation. I hope I’m wrong, but given this guy’s recent criminal past, and the rash of Medicare frauds – I’d be shocked if it lasts. Seriously, why would anyone pick that spot to open a physical therapy clinic, unless they knew they could bring get the right kind of people in for Medicare kickbacks? This scam is out-of-control in Miami – I know someone that participated in it down there – and it’s an absolute shame. I hope I’m wrong, but if it walks like a duck, quacks like duck…well you know the rest.

On another note...if this guy is on the hook for over a million dollars owed to the city of Flint, where is he getting the money for this new endeavor? Who would give this guy credit?

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by agrahlma View Post
    ...if this guy is on the hook for over a million dollars owed to the city of Flint, where is he getting the money for this new endeavor? Who would give this guy credit?

This whole thing stinks to high heaven.
    From the link above:
    FLINT, Michigan — In one of the largest theft cases of public money local officials have ever seen, the city of Flint could be in line to land $1.3 million in restitution.
    Businessmen Joseph P. Giacalone and Daniel Robin were ordered last week to pay the huge sum after pleading no contest to pocketing $1.2 million in loans for a factory they never built.
    It would be a huge windfall for the cash-strapped city of Flint — if the responsible parties ever pay up. Both men have filed for bankruptcy, and it’s unclear how much the city will ever bank.

Wonder who the idiot that "financed" a guy that is: [[1) a convicted felon, [[2) owes the COF #1.3 million and [[3) just filed for personal bankruptcy. Someone should do some digging.

Default cary building

came across this thread randomly.

i live on the 4th floor. im not feeling the whole wellness center/massage therapy place on the ground level. ever since i moved in i always thought a big coffee house would be a really good fit especially with the younger crowd like myself. i would love a chill place i can hang out at, with friends, late in the night, free wifi, good coffee and maybe even a ping-pong table

just my thoughts...........!

Quote Originally Posted by inspire989 View Post
    came across this thread randomly.

i live on the 4th floor. im not feeling the whole wellness center/massage therapy place on the ground level. ever since i moved in i always thought a big coffee house would be a really good fit especially with the younger crowd like myself. i would love a chill place i can hang out at, with friends, late in the night, free wifi, good coffee and maybe even a ping-pong table

just my thoughts...........!
    I agree with you totally. For a couple of years on this site I had been saying that the location would be great for a coffee shop. The owner of your building had allowed two fly-by-night restaurants to open there. Neither of the two were sucessful. I don't know if a entrepreneur is leary about opening one in that spot or the owner of the building that you reside in is too shortsighted to rent out space for one. I love going to 1515 Broadway but it is too small. I see people coming out of the Oprea House, walk over to 1515 only to discover that there is no sitting room then leave. Another coffee shop without the theatre would be great for Bradway. Once Detroit get new leadership and planners with a different mindset maybe more shops would open on Broadway and the surrounding area. No more liquor stores and clubs please

Yeah when Mandee's was across the street it was horrible. There was a really bad shooting at the end of the summer where I watched a guy from my window die on the sidewalk. They just opened a new club/bar called the Paper House which is a little bit more low key and the crowd isn't as obnoxious as the Mandee's crowd which is cool.

As for the ground level- once this wellness place fails [[which it most likely will) i hope the space will become something a little more creative.

Go to Ferndale. 9mile between Woodward to Livernois. What do you have? Cafes and coffee houses, art galleries, boutiques, did I mentioned cafes? The owner of your building such as other Broadway building's owners have to realize that creative thinking will make Broadway thrive and more tenants who would want to move into their buildings. Let's face it; coffee houses or cafes make an avenue or street a "destination" compared to liquor stores and bars. Theatre goers would go to a cafe after an event more than they would a bar or club. That is why Birmingham, Ferndale, Royal Oak, and Ann Arbor have many coffee houses. Cafes instead of bars would had lined Broadway, Library, and Woodward if there had been a different type of thinking in city government as well as planners and charter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2