Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    MLS has higher attendance and much higher TV ratings than NHL, so it should definitely be included.

And, unlike NHL, MLS is national in scope. Almost no one cares about NHL in 90% of the country.

I think we have a bit of a skewed perspective here in Detroit. We're Hockeytown, and don't have an MLS team, so we may not care, but nationally, the situation is usually reversed.
    This is heresy, BHAM, heresy. The NHL is the most important national league. Go back to SanJoseYes.

MLS has higher attendance and much higher TV ratings than NHL, so it should definitely be included.

And, unlike NHL, MLS is national in scope. Almost no one cares about NHL in 90% of the country.

I think we have a bit of a skewed perspective here in Detroit. We're Hockeytown, and don't have an MLS team, so we may not care, but nationally, the situation is usually reversed.
    Bham, I never thought I'd agree with you about anything! But I do. The league is also growing, they added 2 teams this year who are averaging sellouts, and they're adding Montreal next year, who already draw big crowds in the lower leagues.

But back to the topic. I think it's really too bad that iconic stations had to move out of downtown. Clear Channel is in control here. Otherwise we'd still have something called the "State Theater".

I like the attitude of Gilbert though. He's at least making an effort to drum up local pride, which is something to be grateful for.

What about Nascar? No urban cores have Nascar tracks. Case closed!
    Take that Dan Gilbert!

My buddy who lives in Brighton described race weekend at MIS as "hillbilly woodstock"

Oh please don't get me started on the MLS, it is a complete joke. If you want to watch quality soccer then definitely divert your attention to some of the European leagues.

MLS teams get all the washed up players like Henry and Beckham who are past their prime.

At least the NHL is the pinnacle of quality hockey, you can't say the same about the MLS.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    At least the NHL is the pinnacle of quality hockey, you can't say the same about the MLS.
    I totally agree; but to me this shows just how unpopular the NHL is nationally compared to The Beautiful Game.

Even Mexican League soccer has higher U.S. TV ratings than the NHL. Telemundo, Televisa and Univision actually outdo the Versus ratings.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but don't really follow MLS. I prefer Bundesliga, Serie A, Premiership and La Liga.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    But back to the topic. I think it's really too bad that iconic stations had to move out of downtown. Clear Channel is in control here. Otherwise we'd still have something called the "State Theater".
    Ummm.... let me clear up a misconception here....

The State Theatre opened as the State in 1925, changed names to the Palms State in 1937, changed to the Palms Theatre in 1949, changed back to the State in 1982, and changed again to the Fillmore in 2007.

The 1/2 restored [[under owner Chuck Forbes) theatre didn't have SQUAT done to it while the Clear Channel folks were in control for several years.

Once LiveNations took over [[leasing) the State became the Fillmore Theatre in 2007... the LiveNations folks have started up the INCOMPLETE theatre restoration that languished during the Clear Channel years... LiveNations have added 6 crystal chandeliers to the auditorium, 1 chandelier to the Rotunda Lobby.... they have finished the restoration of the 3 story Grand Foyer [[left unfinished since 2002)... and have RESTARTED the restoration of the Auditorium using new extended arm cherry pickers to restore the plasterwork in lofty spaces [[thus reducing costly theatre downtime with scaffolding).

LiveNations has also added to the empty side walls of the Outer Lobby and Grand Foyer... a large colorful collection of framed posters of their old concerts [[visitors are often distracted by this large and spectacular collection of artwork).

As Preservation Wayne's lead tour guide of the State-Palms-Filmore since 1999, I can say with certainty that the Fillmore Theatre is gradually being very lovingly restored by the LiveNations folks... and the name change is a moot point.... after all the ruined Grand Circus Theatre became the Detroit Opera House in 1996... and in 1945 the Wilson Theatre became Music Hall...

I totally agree; but to me this shows just how unpopular the NHL is nationally compared to The Beautiful Game.

Even Mexican League soccer has higher U.S. TV ratings than the NHL. Telemundo, Televisa and Univision actually outdo the Versus ratings.

I'm a huge soccer fan, but don't really follow MLS. I prefer Bundesliga, Serie A, Premiership and La Liga.
    I love to watch the elite leagues, but MLS is still entertaining to me since i want to see the game grow in this country. There is a good amount of young talent from the Americas in MLS. The thing I've noticed is that the crowds have been much more consistent recently, with almost all of the teams building grassroots local support. If they keep on this path MLS will eventually be a very strong league.

Live Nation and Clear Channel are essentially the same thing. Clear Channel spun off their venue owning/operating business and named it Live Nation. Then they merged with Ticketmaster, forming Live Nation Entertainment.

That is what I was alluding to.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    Live Nation and Clear Channel are essentially the same thing. Clear Channel spun off their venue owning/operating business and named it Live Nation. Then they merged with Ticketmaster, forming Live Nation Entertainment.
    Yes, that is true... but nothing was done to the theatre until after the schism.... apparently the "venue" focus of LiveNation is just what the State-Palms-Fillmore needed.

Quote Originally Posted by bartock View Post
    Gilbert isn't the only one.

I still can't figure out what makes one a "real" Detroiter. There are many Detroit-centric people on this board, but it's like some are 1/3 through their lives, signed the lease on their loft last year and now act as though the "Motor City" is in their blood because they see homeless people more often, live near skyscrapers, and occassionally hear or pretend to hear gun shots. Funny, for 25 years of living 10 miles outside of city limits and support local sports teams and regional identity, it didn't matter. But now, among maybe 15% of the region that actually lives in city limits, suburban boys and girls become Detroit snobs. I'd like to know how long you have to live in Detroit, and during what part of life, in order to "qualify" as a Detroiter? It's all horsey urine.
    Bartock, the line between what is the "real" Detroit and not the "real" Detroit wouldn't be so clear if the suburbs didn't try so hard to alienate and remove themselves from association with Detroit. The distinction is so prevalent in Metro Detroit because of the relationship between the city and suburbs. The distinction between Detroit and the suburbs has become so attenuated that there is a backlash now against suburban entities claiming "Detroit" in their name or slogan. If the suburbs do not want to be identified with the city, then it seems hypocritical for companies and radio stations that moved to the suburbs to continue to claim the city for purposes of recognition. The animosity between the city and suburbs, namely the disinvestment in Detroit, leaves Detroit boosters with a bad taste in their mouths when the suburbs want to have it both ways. On one hand, they don't want to be associated with Detroit's problems, but on the other, they want the benefit of claiming big city recognition. It's pretty easy to see why some people get irritated by that. In other regions it is not as big of an issue because the entire region chooses to identify and align itself with the flagship city. Not true in "Metro Detroit."

Edit: To be clear, I'm not talking about people who live or grew up in the suburbs claiming "Detroit" as where they're from. I don't think that upsets very many. But, I do think that businesses or entities who do the same is upsetting, especially when they were formerly based in the city, but then subsequently left for the suburbs. The Pistons of Auburn Hills is an extreme example whereby a sports franchise fled to the northernmost point of the city's most rivaled suburban county, but still claims to be the "Detroit Pistons." That situation is much different than a kid from Dearborn Heights identifying with Detroit as his location.
    Last edited by BrushStart; May-19-11 at 02:45 PM.

Before this spins off into yet another city/suburbs who is a real "detroiter" kerfuffle, the point of calling out 95.5 for being in an exurban office park is that 95.5 is pitching an image based on some perceived credibility about being in or of "detroit". It's a little like white kids from Romeo claiming to be "street". Save for what? maybe two stations? They all do it and it's ridiculous. 97.1, is the #1 sports station for the #1 sports town...yet where are they? oh yeah...not detroit. Channel 7 is pushing its "20/20 Detroit" initiative from its HQ in Southfield. Hey channel 7 way to be a leader in that "bringing Detroit back" thing.

I don't think they HAVE TO be in Detroit to be taken seriously; however, I think they shouldnt be taken seriously when they pretend to be.
    Last edited by bailey; May-19-11 at 03:03 PM.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Bartock, the line between what is the "real" Detroit and not the "real" Detroit wouldn't be so clear if the suburbs didn't try so hard to alienate and remove themselves from association with Detroit. The distinction is so prevalent in Metro Detroit because of the relationship between the city and suburbs. The distinction between Detroit and the suburbs has become so attenuated that there is a backlash now against suburban entities claiming "Detroit" in their name or slogan. If the suburbs do not want to be identified with the city, then it seems hypocritical for companies and radio stations that moved to the suburbs to continue to claim the city for purposes of recognition. The animosity between the city and suburbs, namely the disinvestment in Detroit, leaves Detroit boosters with a bad taste in their mouths when the suburbs want to have it both ways. On one hand, they don't want to be associated with Detroit's problems, but on the other, they want the benefit of claiming big city recognition. It's pretty easy to see why some people get irritated by that. In other regions it is not as big of an issue because the entire region chooses to identify and align itself with the flagship city. Not true in "Metro Detroit."
    I agree for the most part.

In the same breath I have been told be self-proclaimed Detroiters [[in the case I am referring to, the 'Detroiter' was from Rochester Hills) that they were surprised that there was a house as nice as my own in Detroit. This, of course, is not uncommon. I like to hang around the downtown bars around game time and the talk of many other 'Detroiters' about the city whose sports team they apparently support is absolutely disgusting. We all know that you don't go to Grosse Pointe and talk shit about the Pointes, or anyplace for that matter, but we live in a very rude, fractured region.

I know a lot of snobbiness is defensiveness. I get tired of having to explain to people that I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood when they automatically assume otherwise and say it to my face. I'm just tired of it. Wouldn't you be if people trashed where you live, to your face?

People who live or move to Detroit[[and by that I mean THE CITY OF DETROIT if we are still unclear on the concept) are also proud of it with good reason. Part of the reason, as we all can agree, for Detroit's downfall is the exodus of residents and businesses from the city, and they see themselves as reversing that, in a small way.

I also worry that Detroit is becoming to many people [[and corporations) just a vague idea or a marketing tool. Detroit is an actual place, with actual borders.

Also, places like Harper Woods, Ferndale, downriver, St. Clair Shores, Royal Oak, etc., [[you know what I mean) clearly are part of Metro Detroit. However places like Shelby Township, Novi, Lake Orion, COME ON! Where does it end? Doesn't there have to be at least some connection to the city, besides if you drive on a freeway that runs through one of those places for 40 minutes or so you'll hit The City of Detroit?

We have made progress though. The city and suburban cross commerce and pride and identification has probably never been stronger. And the city absolutely needs people from the suburbs, who may not ever live there, to have any kind of future.

I do think that if I lived in the 'burbs I would still want to have the big institutions in the city proper. Our region is too decentralized to be strong. I think of U of D Jesuit. There was a strong push from suburban parents to move it out of the city, but the Jesuits resisted. It is a glimmer of hope and an incredible, thriving asset to the city, still. However if it had been moved, like so many other institutions, corporations, and people, I'm sure it still would have retained the "D" and people would have claimed it was still "in Detroit" even though losing it would have been so awful for Detroit.

bartock Guest

BrushStart, DetroitPole, Bailey, I hear you. I do think that the Pistons are "The Detroit Pistons" as it is more of a regional identify, but can see some of the hypocrisy in the marketing of companies, etc., as pointed out.

Right on.

In the NFL there are several that aren't in the city limits of the city that they are named for here are the one's that I can name:

*Washington Redskins
    *New York Giants
    *New York Jets
    *Dallas Cowboys
    *Miami Dolphins
    *Buffalo Bills
    *New England Patriots [[I consider them a Boston team regardless of the New England name)
    *Arizona Cardinals

That is 8 of 32 teams.

In MLB

*Texas Rangers [[they play in Arlington about halfway between Dallas and Fort Worth and aren't in an urban enviornment)
    *Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [[I don't care that they have Anaheim in their name if they had stayed with the name Anaheim Angels then I wouldn't have included them here).
    *Florida Marlins [[they'll be renamed the Miami Marlins when they move into their new stadium next year and will be removed from the list but currently they don't play in Miami).
    *Tampa Bay Rays [[I consider them a Tampa team and not a St. Petersburg team, hince the Tampa Bay name and for the record all the other teams in the area play in Tampa).

In the NBA:

*Detroit Pistons

In the NHL:

*New York Islanders
    *Florida Panthers [[Miami team if you ask me)
    *Phoenix Coyotes

You can't compare these things for all sorts of reasons. But the main reason is a 32 game season in MLS[[34 this season). 16 home games. That isn't even HALF the total home games an NHL or NBA team plays. Don't you think that makes a difference? If NFL teams played 41 home games would it still pack stadiums night after night? Or, if baseball played fewer games, would the place still look so empty? Supply obviously plays a role in ticket sales.

I promise you if MLS teams played 41 home games they would not average anywhere near that number. That's all anyone really needs to know in comparing MLS attendance to the NBA/NHL. It's apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    Does Gilbert read or post on DYes?
    If he does/did, he's get a bunch of people that would love to tell him how a wide open asphalt parking lot is fine living while nothing will ever work if it is within the borders of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    What about Nascar? No urban cores have Nascar tracks. Case closed!
    Take that Dan Gilbert!
    Wow, talk about a flashback to ~1998.

what all radio stations operate in the city limits... wgpr 107.5, the radio one stations [[102.7, 105.9, am 1200), wdet 101.9, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    what all radio stations operate in the city limits... wgpr 107.5, the radio one stations [[102.7, 105.9, am 1200), wdet 101.9, what else?
    Several AM stations broadcast from downtown too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B700_TnVaSk

The Gilbert interview.... I soooo wish he could be the owner of the Pistons. When he spoke about teams that were in the urban core he meant NBA only. Hopefully he can convince Gores to move downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Schoolcraft View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B700_TnVaSk

The Gilbert interview.... I soooo wish he could be the owner of the Pistons. When he spoke about teams that were in the urban core he meant NBA only. Hopefully he can convince Gores to move downtown.
    Thanks for posting this. It's obvious that Dan Gilbert "gets it." We need more leaders with his mentality/vision for our urban core.

Quote Originally Posted by ScienceFair View Post
    What about Nascar? No urban cores have Nascar tracks.
    and Thank God for small favors.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast