I'm a relatively recent Seaholm grad [[2005) and find this whole situation sad. Whatever the details are, it's just disappointing to have your school in the news for this.

I always did find one thing about BPS to be odd and, frankly, stupid. Groves, the other BPS high school, had many more black students than Seaholm did [[Seaholm was like 98% white as recent as a few years back). The autistic program in BPS for high schools was located at Seaholm and open to many communities outside Birmingham. When I was at Seaholm, out of the 20-25 autistic students, 15-20 of them were black from Pontiac, Southfield, etc.

For the casual Seaholm white student, outside the couple black kids that were in your grade, your only interaction with black students was seeing the autistic kids in the hallways. It instilled horrible impressions amongst the student population. Why wouldn't BPS put the autistic program in Groves where there is a much greater diversity of students? The casual student at Groves would have more friends of many different races and wouldn't form conclusions of certain races based on the autistic program.

I'm not sure if it is different now, but it always troubled me...