Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It would be nice to take advantage of Belle Isle's water somehow. Maybe something like an underwater observatory would be popular?
    Meh...the river is too murkie, I would think. Its fast moving and kicks up alot of sand n' whatnot. Or do you mean the "lakes" in the island itself?
    Now.....an aquarium of some sort...........
    Can you dock at the yacht club...or do you have to be a member? Maybe a decent sized marina would bring folks in in the summer?

lilpup Guest

The river isn't too murky. People use the beach all the time.

Isn't murky for swimming? No, of course not. I thought he was suggesting some underwater viewing area. Figured you'd see about 20 feet worth of nothing and then it would cloud out. I don't know, I've never been underwater in the river. Just going by the fact that I can't see down more than probably 10 feet from shore, and most aerials I see there's brown clouds on both shores.

Laughing a touch at Vox remembering Electric Park. My grandpa sold ice cream there during the depression.

I am all for removing the City of Detroit as managers of this asset to SE MI. As a kid I could rent bikes, a canoe, a horse, see a petting zoo, skate. I am a city resident but dang they can't manage anything. A car fee is ok with me which is a 100% reversal of what I was thinking 20 years ago. Turn the park over to the metro park system. They know how to manage and maintain and also provide programs and concerts.

I love the island and wish to see it maintained as the jewel it is.

Belle Isle better be so pretty and green and filled with trees when I come to forum picnic.

Can you dock at the yacht club...or do you have to be a member? Maybe a decent sized marina would bring folks in in the summer?
    I'm not sure about the Yacht club, but we could always renovate the Detroit Boat Club for use as a public marina. It's actually closer to many of the cultural and recreational attractions on the island than DYC is. Oh I wish......

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I'm not sure about the Yacht club, but we could always renovate the Detroit Boat Club for use as a public marina. It's actually closer to many of the cultural and recreational attractions on the island than DYC is. Oh I wish......
    You need to be a member of the DYC or a member of another club that has reciprocity with the DYC to dock at the DYC.

It would be great if the DNR would do a Miliken type dock on Belle Isle. The Boat club would be a cool way to do it. The Miliken docks are really a hidden gem for boaters. Did a couple of downtown trips/tigers games last year via boat with out of town guests. long overdue to have amenities like that on the river.

Default Simple Bridge Toll

Bridge toll per auto. All foot traffic gratis. Pay to drive baby!

Letters: Keep Belle Isle green and quiet

Belle Isle is a jewel, and I love it. I walk around it every single day. While I'm sure City Councilman James Tate means well, he doesn't understand how to handle the city's jewels. Roller coasters and bumper cars? Puhleez!

Detroit is fortunate to have in the midst of the city an easily accessible, beautiful, natural park. It's a place where, within a few minutes, one can leave the bustle of city living and slow down and enjoy the peace and quiet of a real outdoor experience -- birds singing, ducks swimming, squirrels scurrying, trees overhead and grass underfoot.

Take in the river and all of its sights while looking at the trademark Detroit skyline on one side of the island or a foreign country on the other side. Walk, jog, bike ride or simply sit and think in peace. Belle Isle is made for wandering through or simply absorbing the atmosphere like that of a national park.

Unfortunately, too many folks already think like Councilman Tate. The summer silence and solitude are smashed by the competing sounds blasting out of speakers of cars every few feet.

I remember the laughter of kids as they played in the park while grownups enjoyed quiet conversations. Maybe a Tigers game was on softly in the background. But today, it's like a DJ competition from shelter to shelter whose sole purpose it to bust ear drums. And Councilman Tate wants to add roller coasters and bumper cars to this?

I'm not being nostalgic, but I think the decision makers need to remember and reflect on what Belle Isle is and what it means to many people.

I don't have a funding solution to offer. What I do have to offer is a request: a plea to factor in what Belle Isle really is to the metro area. I'm a boomer fortunate enough to have memories that keep me coming back to the island every day to walk. Our kids and grandkids should have opportunities to have such memories.

Ivory D. Williams
    Detroit

http://www.freep.com/article/2011052...2/1068/opinion

A few years ago there was a thread here, and someone looked up how many vehicles the park gets.

Some math was done and it turned out that you could charge under a dollar and still raise a lot of money. You would just install an automated gate, which would not cost 5 million dollars, and suddenly you'd have a bunch of extra money for the park.

I think $3 is genuinely a lot to charge for Belle Isle. Higher rates can work for metro parks because they're more of destination parks [[or at least they are in my experience), you don't really go there very often, but I think Belle Isle should be for more regular use. Some people might just go there for a family reunion once a year or something but others might go there regularly during the summer to go to the beach, or use the playground.

Belle Isle really does need more money though, it's falling apart. Like some other parts of Detroit it's getting a little too "natural".

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    This fee is brought up over and over again and is a nonstarter.

Want to spruce up Belle Isle, Detroit? Do it!
    I love your response. Why talk about it!

Go down there with a trash bag and rake and just do it!

Detroit cannot charge a fee to get on the island.

As part of the purchase agreement with the sale of Belle Isle, the City of Detroit cannot charge people to come on the island. It is to remain a public jewel. You can charge for the park's rides, zoos and other activities on island, but you cannot charge a fee to get on the island.

If the City of Detroit ever charges a fee to get on the island, then the purchase agreement can be deemed invalid and the property can return to the descendants of the Campau family.

Vox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by HistoryNotHisStory View Post
    Detroit cannot charge a fee to get on the island.

As part of the purchase agreement with the sale of Belle Isle, the City of Detroit cannot charge people to come on the island. It is to remain a public jewel. You can charge for the park's rides, zoos and other activities on island, but you cannot charge a fee to get on the island.

If the City of Detroit ever charges a fee to get on the island, then the purchase agreement can be deemed invalid and the property can return to the descendants of the Campau family.
    Yes they can. The bridge is not part of the purchase. It will be a fee to get across, or to exit the bridge, depending on where the fare box is. If you want to swim over, fine.

I'd love to see the purchase agreement that you are referring to, as well.

Vox Guest

FROM THE CITY COUNSELOR.

To the Honorable the Common Council:

Gentlemen—As directed by tbe committee of the whole, latt evening. I herewith submit certain amendments to the bill to amend the city charter now pending before the Council.

F. A. BAKER. Report accepted, ordered printed in proceedings, and referred to the committee of the whole. The following are the

AMENDMENTS:

Amend section 9, page 5, of the bill by striking out the proviso and inserting the following:

The Common Council shall also have power to borrow, by issuing bonds on the faith and credit of the city as aforesaid, such sums of money as may be necessary, not exceeding in the aggregate the sum of $700,000, with which to purchase the island in the Detroit River known as Belle Isle, and to erect a public bridge to said island over the American channel of said river, provided, however, that the gross debt of the city, not including the deH of the Water Board, and deducting the means in the sinking fund of the city, shall never exceed 3 per cent, of the assessed value of all the real and personal property in the city, and all bonds and other indebtedness issued or created in excess thereof shall be void. .

Insert in the ninth line after the word • Detroit. " the following: , And "Public improvement bonds of the city

of Detroit."

Strike out all of section 14 of the bill, page 13, being sections 33 to 40 inclusive, relative to special assessments. They are a mere compilation of existing provisions of the charter which were grouped in the proposed general revision, and which have no place in this bill. Insert in lieu thereof the following: Sec. 14 That chapter 5 of said act he amended by adding the following new sections thereto, to stand as sections 59. 60 and 61:

Sec. 59 The Common Council shail have power to purchase the island in the Detroit River known as Belle Isle, and to improve and use the same as a public park, and to erect thereon any buildings which the city is authorized to build and maintain, and in all respects to devote said island to such public and corporate purposes as the Council shall deem advisable. In case said island is purchased by the city the Common Council shall have full police powers and jurisdiction over the island, the waters surrounding the same, and the bridge, if any leading thereto, the same as though the island was within the corporate limits of the city.

Sec. 60. The Common Council shall also have power to erect and maintain a bridge over the American channel between said island and the main land, and to purchase and acquire sufficient real estate on said main land for suitable approaches to said bridge from the mainland, and the police powers and jurisdiction conferred by the preceding section shall extend to the land thus acquired.

Sec 61. The Common Council shall fix the rate and provide for the collection of tolls for the use of said bridge, and may grant to railroad and street car companies the right to run their cars over said bridge upon such terms and conditions as the Common Council shall provide.

STREETS.

To the Honorable the Common Council:

Gentlemen—Your committee on streets to whom was referred the petition of John B. Shefferly for erecting an ornamental hitching post in front of No 168 Woodward avenue, would recommend that the prayer of the petitioner be granted under the ordinance.

Yours respectfully,
    JOHN CHR. JACOB.
    THOMAS JACKSON.
    THOMAS MANNING.

What do you think about the city purchasing the "Spirit of Traverse City" and laying it out around the island? The Spirit of Traverse City is a 15" gauge live steam engine, a replica of 4-4-2 Atlantic steam locomotive operating in Clinch Park in TC. From what I hear, this is its last operating season as other planned attractions will apparently displace the train. I've read that it averages 20,000 people per season.

Here's some video of it:

http://youtu.be/ve-tBnxddgw

http://youtu.be/fD3s1dpmrHE

http://youtu.be/1YOt5MOnlRQ

I dunno...just a thought. You'd have to purchase more tack though to make it worth while on Belle Isle, I would think.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3