Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Chests were fine, I'm told, other than perhaps having old leather in parts, the console was rained on for a year or so, it might be a write-off. It was pretty plain, OSI makes a better console now.
    I won't be in RI for convention, unfortunately, no va-ca time at my new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
    I think, or hope anyway, that this is sarcastic but, Philly? Really? Have you ever been to Philly? Here's a picture of their city hall from down the road.
    Yes the City Hall [[and many colonial historic buildings) are either intact or [[in the case of the Old City Tavern) reconstructed. Their City Hall is like no other in America.

However Philiadelphia made the same mistake as Baltimore and Cincinnati... in that every one of their major downtown movie palaces has been destroyed. So you have shows like Lion King shown at the old 1857 built Academy of Music... a fine old classic building... but with poor sight lines for Broadway shows.

Perhaps what Macove was getting at was the 2 tallest office towers in Philly... the near twin [[why is that?) 900 ft. glass and steel "Chrysler Building wannabe's". They're less than inspiring for Post Modern architecture...

Sad that no movie palace survived in Philadelphia...I understand the Mastbaum was luxurious bar none.
    Upcoming in Philadelphia is the centenial of the Wanamaker Organ, starting on the actual anniversary date June 22, 2011 thru that weekend. I may try to get over there for the Wednesday noon program with Peter Conte playing.

http://www.wanamakerorgan.com/

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Sad that no movie palace survived in Philadelphia...I understand the Mastbaum was luxurious bar none.
    Yes the 4,717 seat Mastbaum was one of the top 7 largest theatres in the country. The best way to describe it was "Palace of Versailles meets Papal Palatial".

It was destroyed in the 1960s as were several other of the greatest huge movie palaces... the 4,651 seat San Francisco Fox, the 5,920 seat Roxy [[NYC) and the 5,260 seat Capitol [[NYC).

These are 4 of the 6 largest 4,500+ seat 1920s "absurdly opulent" movie palaces.... the 2 survivors being the Detroit Fox [[5,174 seats) and St, Louis Fox [[4,500 seat) Theatres.

Note: the 7th theatre is 1932 Radio City Music Hall [[6,000 seats), not very opulent... but elegant.

One other thing about Philadelphia... William Fox had his 5 flag ship Fox Theatres in Detroit, St. Louis, San Fransico and Atlanta.... all finished in 1928-29. Had the depression not hit in 1929... William Fox was planning on building a 6,000 seat Fox Theatre in Philadelphia... but I'm not sure if blueprints were ever drawn up... but it would have likely been exotic.

For clarity's sake, the City did put out a bid for the removal of the exterior LIMESTONE at the same time the demo contract was being approved, and there were no takers, not one response. The organ is being removed and the portative is being used by the DSO and the pipes are going to St. Aloysius Church. The future plan for development is undetermined, but a green park will be built there in the interim period to provide more riverfront access.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    Chests were fine, I'm told, other than perhaps having old leather in parts, the console was rained on for a year or so, it might be a write-off.
    Thank you, 56packman!! Sorry to hear you won't be in RI... I might or might not go [[health issues) - if there, I'll be thinking of you...

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Perkins View Post
    ...The organ is being removed and the portative is being used by the DSO and the pipes are going to St. Aloysius Church...
    Thank you for the update, Ms. Perkins.

By "portative", do you mean that DSO is getting the sort-of-mobile stage organ? And which pipes are going to St. Aloysius - do you know what divisions of Aeolian-Skinner? What kind of organ do they have at St. A's now? [[used to attend there...) Inquisitive organ hobbyist [maniac] needs to know.

St. Al's has a Gabriel Kney Organ circa 1978, designed by Elwyn Davies, late former organist at Cathedral Church of St. Paul and intact and as far as I am aware in fine condition. The Kney is a tracker and situated in the center of the main balcony. The old organ was removed was removed when the Kney was installed. I understood the organ from Ford is in warehouse storage and Ihave heard nothing of any project at St. Al's. I will make a couple of calls next week.

I don't know much about organs but I know for a fact that yes the DSO is getting the stage piano part of the organ and St Als is getting the pipes that go up in the ceiling. It is all happening right now so parts may be warehoused now for cleaning and refurbishment.

Tear it down and make a green space for Hart Plaza!

It would be cool if the ampitheatre that is planning to be built there could be used to hold stand alone concerts, not just during festivals. Bands that would go to DTE would stay out there, but based on whatever capacity this ampitheatre has, it would be neat to draw some acts that now go to Meadowbrook. Then again, I'm sure there are other factors involved in where they go [[concessions, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    It would be cool if the ampitheatre that is planning to be built there could be used to hold stand alone concerts, not just during festivals. Bands that would go to DTE would stay out there, but based on whatever capacity this ampitheatre has, it would be neat to draw some acts that now go to Meadowbrook. Then again, I'm sure there are other factors involved in where they go [[concessions, etc.).
    Um I don't think that's going to be that much competition for DTE. The DTE theatre holds 11,000 seats... the current Chene Park holds 5,000... and the costly destruction of the Chene Park and yet another rebuild, this time in Hart Plaza would likely not add that many seats to be competitive with the double capacity DTE theatre.

There is only so much room in Hart Plaza, the city is broke, so an amphitheatre in Hart Plaza is still a dream. As for acts bypassing DTE.... not going to happen with only 1/2 the capacity of DTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Um I don't think that's going to be that much competition for DTE. The DTE theatre holds 11,000 seats... the current Chene Park holds 5,000... and the costly destruction of the Chene Park and yet another rebuild, this time in Hart Plaza would likely not add that many seats to be competitive with the double capacity DTE theatre.

There is only so much room in Hart Plaza, the city is broke, so an amphitheatre in Hart Plaza is still a dream. As for acts bypassing DTE.... not going to happen with only 1/2 the capacity of DTE.
    I know. That's why I stated that bands that go out to DTE would stay out there because of capacity.

Looks like it's coming down soon... next Tuesday demo starts!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110704-wpms

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Looks like it's coming down soon... next Tuesday demo starts!

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20110704-wpms
    Man people sound so stupid in the video, Cobo and the Ford aren't really all that close together, yeah they're in eyesight and all but not really in the same spot or related to the ford as it makes it seem in the video/article

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Adieu Ford Auditorium! Thanks for 50 years of service. This will ruin the skyline of Hart Plaza. The architect who designed Hart Plaza and the auditorium will be very upset!
    LOL, and who cares. I've traveled to public spaces all over and Hart Plaza ranks as the worst. A city embarrassment. The fountain and sculptures are cool, but the rest is a disaster.

You have this gorgeous new riverwalk connecting to this 1960's/1950's brutalist dump. You already got a renovated Cobo coming soon. Time to improve the space in between. The only positive about Hart Plaza is its riot-proof architecture can take an intense beating during major events.

I actually think Ford Auditorium can be improved upon. I honestly like its cool modern architecture. But the city can't seem to make it work. Remove it, and replace it with something that does. And fix the mess around it. Get rid of those awful parking structures on the riverfront next to it. That's absolutely ridiculous the most valuable real-estate in the city is dedicated to parking!!!

In case you missed this story....

Team works to rescue Ford Auditorium's vintage pipe organ before the Detroit building is demolished
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...sey=nav%7Chead

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post

Team works to rescue Ford Auditorium's vintage pipe organ before the Detroit building is demolished
    http://www.freep.com/article/2011062...sey=nav%7Chead
    I think the Ford family will appreciate the effort that is taken in saving this important part of the building.

the ford auditorium looks like a bose radio but sounds like a transistor.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Thanks be!! I plan to visit Detroit in 2-3 summers, so maybe it will be possible to hear this fine organ in St. Aloysius. Many thanks, and best of luck, to the dedicated volunteers helping with this project!

Ford Auditorium demolition delayed "as contractors continue to secure demolition permits." What kind of craziness is this? Shouldn't this have been taken care of months ago? How long has the fence been around the place? What is the length of time needed to get a demolition permit? Asinine, simply, asinine.

mpow - thanks for posting that article!

Quote Originally Posted by staticstate View Post
    the ford auditorium looks like a bose radio but sounds like a transistor.
    LOL! Nice one!

I always knew Adamo was well-known for their intelligence....

July 08. 2011 4:52PM
    Ford Auditorium demolition halted by leaking transformers

Josh Katzenstein and Candice Williams/ The Detroit News

Detroit— Work to demolish the Ford Auditorium was halted today as the fire department investigated what was initially thought to be a hazmat situation, fire officials said. Six leaking transformers were cleaned up, and firefighters called off the scene.

It was not known late this afternoon if demolition work would resume today.
    Demolition crews began attacking the Ford Auditorium this morning to begin removal of the downtown building, which has been abandoned for more than 15 years.

Mayor Dave Bing said the destruction of the former home of the Detroit Symphony Orchestra is the first of many steps to bring the city's downtown back to life.

"Our downtown is really, really coming back, and I think the [[demolition) of this building here will open up a tremendous opportunity for our citizens and visitors to come down and have a great reason to be here," Bing said.

Adamo Demolition of Detroit is carrying out the destruction of the building at the east end of Hart Plaza. The company will use "traditional" methods to tear the building down instead of a one-time implosion effort, President Richard Adamo said.

The City Council signed off on the $754,000 project in March, and Bing thanked the council for its approval before the demolition began.

"We have been working more and more closely together to make sure that our city is going to be reinvigorated with a lot of life in downtown," Bing said. "We are not going to forget about our neighborhoods, but we also knowhow important downtown is."

Adamo estimates the demolition to take 30 days and cleanup to last another month.

The auditorium, which opened in 1955 with $2.5 million in funding from the Ford family and local Ford and Mercury auto dealers, was built within five years of Cobo Center and the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center.

Plans to destroy the building have been discussed since 1989. Bing's proposed replacement is a 5,000-seat amphitheater that could bring more traffic to Hart Plaza. But the mayor acknowledged today plans are "not far along."

The Ford Auditorium once hosted concerts and events such as the Ebony Fashion Fair show and speeches by Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

jkatzenstein@detnews.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast