Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Strange lights in the sky

Has anybody noticed strange lights in the sky at night up there?

I saw them tonight coming in off of the coast three separate ones high up and orange in color moving faster then a passenger liner but slower then a military fighter at cruising speed the orange glow looks kinda like the fighter afterburners but you hear no noise and is consistent.

Google shows 53,000 searches for the 12/31 date in connection with. So it seems to be widespread maybe it is safer up there?

it's the quadrantid meteor shower

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    it's the quadrantid meteor shower
    Nice read but that is supposed to start on the third my friend saw 6 on the eve of the first the three I saw were on the eve of the second they came in from the coast above McDill AFB but I am in their flight path so they did not originate from McDill these came in south two split off northeast and one went south east direction.

I guess we will never know anyways.

Meteors would stay in a straight line?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    ... Meteors would stay in a straight line?
    Definitely. Meteors don't change course abruptly or in different directions.

Also, two meteors with intersecting paths could look like a single meteor changing direction. I've seen this several times during meteor showers - unless the sky is completely clear it's difficult to tell what's going on. It's much more difficult with all the light pollution in southeast Michigan.

And, as several others have pointed out, it could be any number of atmospheric effects plus natural or man-made light. Heated exhaust from home furnaces or industry can make stationary lights look like they are moving from a distance.

I'm betting they are border patrol surveillance drones

Venus rising.

I thought this was going to be a Gannon thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I thought this was going to be a Gannon thread.
    Meh, weed smokers always see lights in the sky. It's nothing strange to them.

[[shits and giggles Gannon)

Is anybody else being kept awake @ night by lights in the sky?

Perhaps but certainly not street lights...... I was reading that we had a big meteor shower recently, but not sure if it was visible this part of the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is anybody else being kept awake @ night by lights in the sky?

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Perhaps but certainly not street lights...... I was reading that we had a big meteor shower recently, but not sure if it was visible this part of the country?
    Yes, it was visible, and certain ones will look exactly like what the OP described. It has to do with how they hit the earth's atmosphere. My post was just a sad attempt @ humous based on Gannon's strange noise thread.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; January-02-13 at 11:51 AM.

my favorite is the Norway Spiral:

The meteor shower is visible planet-wide, and is known for some spectacularly bright meteorites

It should peak tomorrow/saturday

I supposed with streetlights out so often in Detroit... the heavens sparkle quite brilliantly in the nighttime sky....

Meteors actually might NOT stay in a straight line due to shape, composition, etc. There are also atmospheric phenomena that can cause apparent shifts to direction

Cell phone pic , not showing much ,clear sky no clouds no stars .Never seem to have a telescope handy when you need one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maybe it was the Hartmann and GoLeft threads exploding from being overstuffed and unread.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Maybe it was the Hartmann and GoLeft threads exploding from being overstuffed and unread.
    closing in on 100,000 views is unread?

This doesn't mean it's read. I just took a look a the Thomas Hardon thread and see that the only postings come from the original poster himself. Maybe he spends the rest of his time "clicking" up "views" to give the impression somebody else is interested; to give himself an excuse to keep posting.
    If not, here's no discussion on the thread so presumably the 100,000 "viewers" have found what Hardon has to say is irrelevant.
    Last edited by coracle; January-05-13 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    This doesn't mean it's read. I just took a look a the Thomas Hardon thread and see that the only postings come from the original poster himself. Maybe he spends the rest of his time "clicking" up "views" to give the impression somebody else is interested; to give himself an excuse to keep posting.
    If not, here's no discussion on the thread so presumably the 100,000 "viewers" have found what Hardon has to say is irrelevant.
    ah, so childish. 100,000 people check in with Thom because of his well thought out takes on issues, and jimaz is providing us a service. If they found Hartman irrelevant they wouldn't keep going back to those links and it wouldn't be anywhere near 100K views

ah, so childish. 100,000 people check in with Thom because of his well thought out takes on issues, and jimaz is providing us a service. If they found Hartman irrelevant they wouldn't keep going back to those links and it wouldn't be anywhere near 100K views
    So gullible. Watch for strange lights in the sky.
    Last edited by coracle; January-05-13 at 10:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    ... Maybe he spends the rest of his time "clicking" up "views" to give the impression somebody else is interested; to give himself an excuse to keep posting....
    Thanks for that suggestion. I never thought of trying that deception until you mentioned it. I guess I'm not as devious as you.

One problem:

Just now I tried your devious suggestion but DetroitYES! blocked it. How are you so certain that that security can be bypassed? Just how did you probe that vulnerability? Can you help me achieve what you've accused me of doing?

The late CCbatson made similar accusations regarding alleged virus threats but those threats never materialized either. He's now gone.

Are you attempting to follow in his footsteps?

Here's a challenge:

Don't whine and whimper about how unfair your life is. If you find yourself outperformed, set up your own video thread[[s) instead. Compete!

Can't? Then STFU! LOL!
    Last edited by Jimaz; January-07-13 at 02:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Just now I tried your devious suggestion but DetroitYES! blocked it. How are you so certain that that security can be bypassed?
    'Security' ? VBB software does not prevent anyone from viewing open threads and it counts each view, even from the OP.

If you find yourself outperformed, set up your own video thread[[s) instead. Compete!
    I'm smart enough not to Spam boards with worthless propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    T
    The late CCbatson made similar accusations regarding alleged virus threats but those threats never materialized either. He's now gone.

Are you attempting to follow in his footsteps?

Here's a challenge:

Don't whine and whimper about how unfair your life is. If you find yourself outperformed, set up your own video thread[[s) instead. Compete!

Can't? Then STFU! LOL!
    these two haven't contributed an iota of intelligence since they joined. nothing but classic trolls - hijacking a thread like this for their moronic little rants is just par for the course.

now to reclaim this thread:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1218832

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=8941296

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast