Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
...Geek Squad....
Yes, I've been getting those too — more often just recently. I think they're using the Geek Squad name to filter out the technically adept leaving the more technically flustered folks to be scammed. I heard somewhere they're getting better at playing on people's emotions.

I once had a phone call from someone affiliated with Comcast {a subcontractor, I suspect}. They said my contract was ending soon and my rates would go up but as compensation they'd give me some additional service for free. I had no need for the new service but hey, it's free, right?

No. I later learned that my rates would not have gone up. They simply tacked the cost of the "free" service onto my old rate, effectively selling me something I didn't want or need and couldn't even use. I was soon able to back out of the deal. {Maybe this had to do with Michigan's 3-day buyer's remorse law on contracts? IDK}

The next time Comcast called I told them I'll only deal with them through the U.S. Mail. That way if they want to scam me, they'll have to risk committing mail fraud too.

They haven't contacted me since. «ding!»