Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 17 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 1873

This link concerns COVID-19 breakthrough
    hospitalizations in Colorado BEFORE the
    omicron variant appeared anywhere.

https://www.westword.com/news/colora...pdate-12297114

It was expected and it was seen that the
    percentage of breakthrough cases for those
    hospitalized with COVID-19 would go
    up. Even after it went up, about 90%
    of those who were hospitalized were
    not vaccinated.

Here you go from the experts at the Mayo Clinic

A COVID-19 vaccine might:

• Prevent you from getting COVID-19 or from becoming seriously ill or dying due to COVID-19
    • Prevent you from spreading the virus that causes COVID-19 to others
    • Add to the number of people in the community who are protected from getting COVID-19 — making it harder for the disease to spread and contributing to herd immunity
    • Prevent the virus that causes COVID-19 from spreading and replicating, which allows it to mutate and possibly become more resistant to vaccines

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20484859

Sense they post “get the facts “ in bold it must be true.

I remember when “herd immunity “ was a swear word.

And not to long ago those who received the Phizer shot seemed to be getting the short end of the stick,which is not the case now.

Topping the list of new billionaires are Moderna [[MRNA) CEO Stéphane Bancel and Ugur Sahin, the CEO of BioNTech[[BNTX), which has produced a vaccine with Pfizer [[PFE). Both CEOs are now worth around $4 billion, according to an analysis by the People's Vaccine Alliance, a campaign group that includes Oxfam, UNAIDS, Global Justice Now and Amnesty International.
    Senior executives from China's CanSino Biologics and early investors in Moderna have also become billionaires on paper as shares skyrocketed, partly in expectation of profits earned from Covid vaccines, which also bode well for the companies' future prospects. The analysis was compiled using data from the Forbes Rich List.
    PVA said that despite receiving public funding of more than $8 billion, Pfizer, BioNTech and Moderna have refused calls to transfer vaccine technology countries via the World Health Organization, "a move that could increase global supply, drive down prices and save millions of lives."
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...-analysis.html
    https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...-analysis.html
    Last edited by Richard; February-09-22 at 05:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    This link concerns COVID-19 breakthrough
    hospitalizations in Colorado BEFORE the
    omicron variant appeared anywhere.

https://www.westword.com/news/colora...pdate-12297114

It was expected and it was seen that the
    percentage of breakthrough cases for those
    hospitalized with COVID-19 would go
    up. Even after it went up, about 90%
    of those who were hospitalized were
    not vaccinated.
    Full Fact got in touch with the Economist, which agreed that its figures were an error, and told us that the source was a report presented to SAGE on 9 September.
    The report did say that 83.7% of Covid patients admitted to hospital were unvaccinated—but this covered the period between 8 December 2020, when vaccination started, and 28 July 2021. This includes a time of very high hospital admissions around the new year, when few people had been vaccinated.

https://fullfact.org/health/economis...nation-status/

See how easy it is to manipulate numbers?

Let us suppose that your sincere
    intent is to guide people, inform them
    with the best understandings for
    the benefit of all, not lead them
    astray for fun and profit. Yes,
    there are many scammers out there,
    asking for gift cards for utility charges
    and so on. True, the pharma industry is
    capitalist, and therefore interested
    in making money, and has put its
    own interests above those of patients
    sometimes.

You are not a scammer or a pharma
    CEO, so you do not have any interest
    in manipulating numbers, right? Then
    you should arrive at some fair estimate.
    It can only ever be an estimate, with
    330,000,000 million people being
    considered. This is different from
    being a manipulated number.

Starting with COVID-19 cases
    for this next week for the United
    States, of those who are known
    to be positive in the next week,
    how many do you believe will die
    with or from COVID-19 within
    the next month?

The original best estimate of a
    CFR [case fatality rate] for COVID-19
    was from the Diamond Princess
    population in about March 2020.
    One out of every fifty cases was
    a fatality. For comparison, one in
    every 2,000 cases of influenza
    might be a fatality, though this varies
    from strain to strain.

The Mayo Clinic page you just
    posted:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...e/art-20484859

has data charts that are current.
    One chart shows the current CFR
    to be 1.2%, or a little over one
    death per every 100 cases.
    [Or, 3 deaths per 250 cases; the
    Diamond Princess had 5 deaths
    per 250 cases.]

This could be rationalized as "too high"
    for the estimate for this next week because
    it includes deaths from the delta variant.
    Last edited by Dumpling; February-09-22 at 06:18 PM.

Denmark who has a population that is 80% vaccinated and 98% elderly vaccinated has dropped all COVID related requirements including masks,even though they are still showing high infection rates.

Not sure if that is a good example because of their quality of healthcare there are few that had underlying existing conditions.

The EU questioned as to if that was a good idea,their leader said what works in their situation may not work in another situation,and definitely not in the US.

I am not sure about that though,when you look at Europe,you can drive through 4 countries in a day,so when we look at the expanse of the U.S. it could still be very well of a case of what works in one state may not be best in another.

Sweden and Norway have also dropped a majority of restrictions.

Obesity and diabetes- 78% of those who died from COVID in this country had those two dominating factors,in the big picture of things,I am not sure that we would be considered a healthy country even with a multi billion dollar exercise equipment industry.
    Last edited by Richard; February-11-22 at 11:45 AM.

“Don’t trust substantive experts to make policy that balance competing values or stakeholder interests.”

Just as ignoring science can be deadly, there are trade offs made if science is exclusively followed. Depression, social isolation, reduced school learning and other trade offs are made for exclusively following science. Sometimes people are locked into obsolete science.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Denmark who has a population that is 80% vaccinated and 98% elderly vaccinated has dropped all COVID related requirements including masks,even though they are still showing high infection rates.

Not sure if that is a good example because of their quality of healthcare there are few that had underlying existing conditions.

The EU questioned as to if that was a good idea,their leader said what works in their situation may not work in another situation,and definitely not in the US.

I am not sure about that though,when you look at Europe,you can drive through 4 countries in a day,so when we look at the expanse of the U.S. it could still be very well of a case of what works in one state may not be best in another.

Sweden and Norway have also dropped a majority of restrictions.

Obesity and diabetes- 78% of those who died from COVID in this country had those two dominating factors,in the big picture of things,I am not sure that we would be considered a healthy country even with a multi billion dollar exercise equipment industry.
    From what I gathered... Sweden didn't follow other countries in lockdowns and Covid precautions. Initially they had many more deaths... but in the last 2 years the rest of Scandinavia is catching up to the Swedish death rate.

As for Denmark... [[not covid related)... I just read that 47% of Danish electricity comes from wind turbines... they started wind power early on, and the Danish wind turbine company VESTAS is one of the largest in the world.

OK getting back to Covid... Richard, when you mentioned that 78% of those who died from Covid were obese and diabetic. I do think that obesity does have a strong relationship to Covid deaths. Look at the number of poor nations that have had a low level of Covid deaths. Most of those nations have poor health care systems, and yet they have low death rates. And we Americans are on the hefty side...

[higher risks for younger people, etc]

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama...

JAMA. 2022;327[[4):331-340. doi:10.1001/jama.2021.24110Vaccination against COVID-19 provides clear public health benefits, but vaccination also carries potential risks. The risks and outcomes of myocarditis after COVID-19 vaccination are unclear.To describe reports of myocarditis and the reporting rates after mRNA-based COVID-19 vaccination in the US....

According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the risk of myocarditis after infection with COVID-19 is much higher, at 146 cases per 100,000. The risk is higher for males, older adults [[ages 50+) and children under 16 years old. Soccer player Alphonso Davies, 21, of Canada’s national men’s team, was sidelined by heart inflammation after having COVID-19.Post-vaccination myocarditis

Myocarditis following COVID-19 vaccination is rare and the risk is much smaller than the risks of cardiac injury linked to COVID-19 itself.
    Based on a study out of Israel, the risk of post-vaccine myocarditis is 2.13 cases per 100,000 vaccinated, which is within the range usually seen in the general population. This study is consistent with others in the United States and Israel which put the overall incidence of post-vaccine myocarditis between 0.3 and five cases per 100,000 people.
    https://theconversation.com/myocardi...ination-174580

Wayne County, 9 others announce they will drop school mask mandates by end of the month

[K8 compliance was always difficult and especially hard on children...]

https://news.yahoo.com/oakland-count...161603608.html

Wayne Co. becomes last Michigan county to drop student mask mandate

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ty/6749742001/
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-12-22 at 07:01 PM.

With all the hand wringing about The Great Resignation, employers are now suggesting they're free to hire cheaper remote workers from overseas.

One wonders how many remote workers are now drawing multiple paychecks from multiple employers simultaneously.

<DING!>

California's indoor mask mandate will end next week for vaccinated people, governor says

Cali socially, politically and culturally has been very strict and compliant re. masking - including people walking about outdoors alone or in their car [alone there too as you see them]. So we'll see how this goes....

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/07/us/ca...ing/index.html
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-21-22 at 11:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    With all the hand wringing about The Great Resignation, employers are now suggesting they're free to hire cheaper remote workers from overseas.

One wonders how many remote workers are now drawing multiple paychecks from multiple employers simultaneously.

<DING!>
    That whole great resignation thing is kinda confusing,they list the numbers of people quitting,mostly service related,but they do not show the emerging labor market that is drawing people that make more money,like Uber,Door Dash,contract parcel delivery,social media influencers etc.

None of those jobs require a high level of education or skills.

In most cities the COL including rents has skyrocketed,free money or not it is hard for me anyways to see how millions can quit their jobs and stay home,did they really quit their jobs because of the pandemic or because new opportunities have opened up,they can make more driving for Uber then waiting tables,the IRS would be able to offer more insight into that by displaying the increase in 1099s.

I have a couple of friends that started WFH,they started when the market crashed,they have been double dipping but most are doing so in direct competition with their main employer.

When their main employers dropped their office space at that time,it was not to save money in a down market,because the owners and upper management received a large pay increase.

I can see how employers would embrace WFH for foreign workers in order to bypass immigration headaches,but to what extent?

Most companies,even in tech,brings in workers in order to pay a lower wage verses a citizen,so they really need that warm body.

I received my four Covid tests from Uncle Sam a bit over a week ago.

Because of all the tests suddenly being distributed by mail, I was expecting the "new reported cases" curve to spike again but it hasn't! There's a tiny upward bump but that's it.

Is it over?!

Are we having fun yet?

I received my four Covid tests from Uncle Sam a bit over a week ago.

Because of all the tests suddenly being distributed by mail, I was expecting the "new reported cases" curve to spike again but it hasn't! There's a tiny upward bump but that's it.

Is it over?!

Are we having fun yet?
    Doesn't help that about half of the 500 million test kits haven't been requested.

FWIW

A report just released from the British HSA states that 91% of those dying from Covid in Britain are vaccinated, 80% being triple vaccinated.

[ They have a 98% vax rate of adults ]
    Last edited by Rocket; March-04-22 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
    FWIW

A report just released from the British HSA states that 91% of those dying from Covid in Britain are vaccinated, 80% being triple vaccinated.

Let me put it into simple math for you... if 98% of the population is vaccinated... then the probability is that the total deaths among that 98% is going to be statistically higher than the total deaths of a very small 2% [unvaxxed].

This has absolutely nothing to do with a person being more likely to die if they are vaxxed vs. unvaxxed.

Capiche?
    Last edited by Gistok; March-04-22 at 04:16 PM.

Or if 100% of a population were vaccinated then 100% of those dying of Covid19 would have been vaccinated.

Of course 100% of those not dying of Covid19 would have also been vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post

Capiche?
    Yes, yes I do.

Could you PLEASE link to articles that you refer to on here? I can't find a thing that says the British have more than an 80% vaccine rate any way I try to slice it.
    FWIW

For those who might still be seeing some people
    out and about wearing their double masks,
    like me, and wondering why would we do this now
    that the pandemic is almost over, the Johns
    Hopkins Covid Home page has current information
    that, for the last week, there have been 389,717
    cases and 10,876 deaths in the United States.
    While there is uncertainty about the exact meanings
    of week, case, United States, and death in these
    listed statistics, these are still quite high, and the
    numbers taken at their face value give the case
    fatality rate as one death per 35. 8 cases.

Which, again, is quite high.

^ I agree Dumpling... for me it is a matter of choice as well.

If I go into a large store, wearing a mask is mandatory for me. If I go to a small store, and there are few parked cars outside, then I may go in without. Just a matter of the risk level I perceive.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Could you PLEASE link to articles that you refer to on here? I can't find a thing that says the British have more than an 80% vaccine rate any way I try to slice it.
    As a whole they do not. I was just referring to adults, who are 97. something in Whales and 98% overall.

Including all Britons eligible for the shot, [12 and over]
    85.3% have had a second dose, [and acct for 91% of deaths]
    and 66.6% have also had a booster [accounting for 80% of deaths]
    Name:  Brittan graph.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  51.8 KB

From this link
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Name:  _123509889_optimised-vaccine_doses_nation_with_booster_4mar-nc.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  91.7 KB

A page down in this link.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55274833

It's not safe to draw any conclusions from this, the first temptation might be to say that vaccinations increase your chance of death, but we need to remember that those most at risk are the ones most vaccinated, and the ones least at risk [ages 2-15] are the least vaccinated in the country, so that's gotta be skewing the data a lot. But for sure it seems to indicate that getting a shot doesn't cause any miracles to happen.
    Last edited by Rocket; March-05-22 at 08:41 AM.

As a whole they do not. I was just referring to adults, who are 97. something in Whales and 98% overall....
    Sorry. I had to stop reading at "Whales" in a fit of laughter.

Sorry. I had to stop reading at "Whales" in a fit of laughter.

Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 17 57 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast