Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
This had not been sealed and nothing in the article seems to address parking which, as most likely know, if very scarce there. Maybe they big WSU lot will suffice but it seems a stretch.

Emagine Entertainment Inc. wants to build its new Detroit movie theater with rapper Sean "Big Sean" Anderson on an oblong Wayne State University-owned property off I-94 sandwiched between a pair of parking structures near the law school.

The vision for what the university calls Lot 22, however, has been slow to proceed and Paul Glantz, cofounder and chairman of Emagine, said that while he hopes to reach an agreement with WSU, his alma mater, he is beginning to explore other unspecified areas in the city as a backup plan.

Wayne State publicly acknowledged in late June that Emagine was a finalist for university property but that announcement flew under the radar. Wayne State declined to comment for this piece.

"We aspire to reach an agreement with Wayne State and we would be delighted to locate on their property," Glantz told me.

This marks the first time a specific site has been publicly confirmed for the planned $25 million theater, which was announced in February 2018 as the Big Sean Theatre Powered by Emagine.

But things have been largely quiet, disrupted in no small part by a global pandemic that crippled the movie theater industry.

Sources told me several months after that announcement that there were negotiations to put the theater at Michigan Central Station, which Ford Motor Co. had just paid $90 million for, but nothing materialized.

Plans call for a 10- to 12-screen multiplex that would seat between 1,000 and 1,300 people. It would include a music venue that could also host events such as lectures, seminars and comedy shows.

A plan to build a nine-screen Alamo Drafthouse Cinemas LLC location on a roughly 1-acre property on Stimson Street off Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard west of Woodward Avenue was torpedoed in December 2019 after an arrangement for 300 parking spaces to accommodate moviegoers could not be reached.
This is exactly what I was looking for thanks.