The points that I made are true, and if they unsettle you I'm sorry to hear that. But it isn't my mental health you should be noting or worrying about - yes its offensive for you to question it.

Know what I said: restaurants will close and Detroit is one of the worst cities to handle a downturn. This is crystal clear, if you're paying attention. If my points make you think that Detroit will be back to the old Cass Corridor then its in your head not mine. That isn't what I said. Midtown will be fine.

Frankly I've known where Detroit is against its peers. I love Detroit and have been here a long time. I don't need Detroit to be Birmingham, Royal Oak or Ann Arbor for me to like it. I'm not heavily invested in the real estate and have to prop up the hype machine.

Living positively and with hope is key. So if that's your worry, then I'll shut up. Or if honestly about economic standing hurts the economy moving forward, I get that and will shut up. But if we're to be honest, then that's what my post was. Frankly before or after covid-19. Detroit, auto, oversupply of restaurants, inflated real estate, all of it was there.

Quote Originally Posted by wazootyman View Post
I worry about the mental health of some when I see posts like this. I mean no offense, what I mean is that we're all suffering with the headlines, being off-work, and the fear of the unknown.

Yeah, there's going to be some fallout. But the fundamental desire to live in urban areas and the neighborhood improvements don't just suddenly go away.

This is necessary to provide a bridge to the mass number of people that have been laid off [[most temporarily, we hope). The 200k estimate is just that - an estimate. These estimates have been all over the map since this started. Don't focus too closely on any one number.

Oh, and "the stock market is not the economy".

The automotive companies have been anticipating and preparing for a downturn for some time now. This obviously accelerates that greatly, but it's also possible that many purchases are deferred until this crisis ends. Tesla is not ripping anyone apart, and they're going to suffer from the same downturn. There were still 17 million new cars sold in 2019 [[a target that's been hit for 5 years in a row), though the trend was mostly flat [[and down in the non-SUV market). We won't see driverless cars for a long time, based on my understanding. What some manufacturers have now is impressive for what it is, but it's far from being truly driverless. It's that whole 10 % of the [[remaining) work requiring 90 % of the effort problem.

Some restaurants will close. Some restaurants will open in their place. This will be a dip, but in the end, we'll recover just fine I predict. Maybe not the boom times we've seen over the past 10 years, but I really don't think we're headed for another 2008. I guess we'll have to wait and see, but there's no sense getting buried in the doom & gloom.