Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Denver and Nashville are pretty great places to live, and Detroit could learn a lot from them, but to each their own.
    I've lived in all three. What could Detroit possibly learn from Denver and Nashville?

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    I've lived in all three. What could Detroit possibly learn from Denver and Nashville?
    To name a few things:

*Regionalism

*How to land a MLS team

*How to not let NIMBYs who restrict housing supply overrun your city

*Road maintenance

*How to incorporate parking podiums into new construction high rises, maximizing land usage and building height.
    Last edited by 313WX; September-02-19 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    To name a few things:

That is certainly a hot button issue in cities like Los Angeles, where single family zoning gets blamed for a range of perceived social ills. But, how is that an issue in Detroit? Depending on the source of information, roughly 20-25% of developable land in the city is vacant. It doesn't seem that NIMBY's could be a significant problem.

Quote Originally Posted by LongGone06 View Post
    But, how is that an issue in Detroit?.
    I never said it was an issue now.

But if Detroit has any aspirations to grow again, it certainly would become one and it should be taking notes from these other cities to avoid their mistakes
    Last edited by 313WX; September-02-19 at 04:51 PM.

I never said it was an issue now.

But if Detroit has any aspirations to grow again, it certainly would become one and it should be taken notes from these other cities to avoid their mistakes
    Not for nothing but if you follow pretty much everything that is happening in Detroit is following the today and future line of thought.

Outside of the few that are bucking the system.

Back to caissons,being close to the river,what is the water table like?

To name a few things:

*Regionalism

*How to land a MLS team

*Road maintenance

*How to incorporate parking podiums into new construction high rises, maximizing land usage and building height.
    I get all that. Sincerely.

- Regionalism is easy when you have a tsunami of new residents every year and an existing population base that is originally from somewhere else.

- MLS selection.. I would've loved to have seen Detroit land a team. But when it all shakes out who really cares? And is it really a measure of a city's legitimacy? Of course not.

- NIMBY's are virtually non-existent in Detroit-proper. Especially considering the abundance of open land.

- Road maintenance has almost nothing to do with the city if Detroit. What doesn't fall under the control of MDOT mostly resides with Wayne County. And however you measure it the ills on the Detroit area's roads stem from underinvestment by Lansing bureaucrats. And to be totally honest Denver's roads aren't exactly a panacea of smooth road surfaces.

- Parking facilitation: Given Detroit's existing inventory of high-rise building I don't see what can be done around them. On high-rise developments currently in development I have no idea what sort of parking accommodations or coordination is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LeightonGeo View Post
    Road maintenance has almost nothing to do with the city if Detroit. What doesn't fall under the control of MDOT mostly resides with Wayne County. And however you measure it the ills on the Detroit area's roads stem from underinvestment by Lansing bureaucrats. And to be totally honest Denver's roads aren't exactly a panacea of smooth road surfaces.
    The city of Detroit is solely responsible for the maintenance of non-state highways in the city of Detroit. While you have a point about roads outside the city proper, what I said still stands.

And while roads in snowy climates will never be perfect, at least Denver hasn't gained a notorious reputation for crappy roads. Detroit has, and for good reason[[s).
    Last edited by 313WX; September-02-19 at 04:58 PM.

To name a few things:

*How to land a MLS team

*Road maintenance
    1) MLS is the equivalent of AA baseball, at best, on the world stage. It's where washed up stars go to play among guys not good enough for the majors. Not having a team is not loss.

2) Denver and Nashville do not have the road destroying climate we have here. Yes the state is terrible about fixing roads but it's also a much bigger problem here than southern places. And, to be fair, the roads in Detroit proper have been improved more in the past 3-4 years than they were in the 20 before that in my observation.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    2) Denver and Nashville do not have the road destroying climate we have here. Yes the state is terrible about fixing roads but it's also a much bigger problem here than southern places.
    Denver isn't "southern places." It averages nearly as much snow as Detroit and arguably has a worse freeze/thaw cycle.

Denver isn't "southern places." It averages nearly as much snow as Detroit and arguably has a worse freeze/thaw cycle.
    Denver does not have the same extreme winter temperatures we get here. The coldest month there [[December) has average highs of 47. Detroit has 5 months colder than that. It snows there and then melts immediately. It is not remotely the same climate.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    It snows there and then melts immediately.
    That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Either way, you just further proved my point about the "vicious freeze-thaw cycles" in Denver, as the recent article details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...Id=73-67608930

Yet, they still manage to have better road quality than Detroit.

That's a bit of an exaggeration.

Either way, you just further proved my point about the "vicious freeze-thaw cycles" in Denver, as the recent article details.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...Id=73-67608930

Yet, they still manage to have better road quality than Detroit.
    The ground doesn't freeze unless there are extended time periods below freezing. That rarely happens in Denver. Snow on the ground does not equal frozen ground.