Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Unfortunately or fortunately for some, this will be my last entry on this website. My original start for this thread asked for sensible dialog on the title of a job fair in the city.

I grew up in Detroit and attended a predominantly Black/Hispanic high school so I had a first hand experience with the prejudices and attitudes between the races. One thing I did experience was the camaraderie between my fellow back students and I. I grew up on the lower East Side and commuted to the neighborhood around the 12th. street Grand River area for high school. I saw a lot of racial prejudice which was well founded at the time. The one thing I noticed that as I spent time with my classmates [[some white, mostly Black and Latino) the attitude changed. I can't say I was accepted but I was treated as an equal mostly because we were from similar backgrounds.
    What I'm getting at is, after starting this thread that the same old misconceptions and stone throwing are still there. I see a lot of animosity still exists. I asked for dialog without the racial mudslinging and look what happened here. I don't know if this city can ever be rebuilt without rebuilding attitudes toward one another. It takes more than brick and mortar and Q-Lines and arenas. It takes a total change in the underlying hatred that still exists.

There were a lot of well meaning posts here but as is often the case on this website, it turned into a temper tantrum between angry people. So in ending, I am so sorry we still can't establish constructive conversation without the mudslinging.

Good Luck and Goodbye.

But when you run from your problems you don't make them go away.

I'm not angry - my blood pressure never raised 1 point through this whole thread. I have no hatred or malice towards anyone - I do feel sad when people settle for being a victim instead of bettering themselves, but I can't control their destiny - only they can.

Quote Originally Posted by dguy4evr View Post
    Good Luck and Goodbye.
    Sir or madam, I found the debate to be insightful. It was good to see other peoples perspectives.

One thing you'll want on the internet is thicker skin. Especially when you're bringing up a topic like this.

At one point during the discussion you accuse black people of being hypersensitive to labels. Just keep in mind that you're leaving the site with the same hypersensitive ruffled feathers that you perceive black people to have.

Unfortunately or fortunately for some, this will be my last entry on this website. My original start for this thread asked for sensible dialog on the title of a job fair in the city.

I grew up in Detroit and attended a predominantly Black/Hispanic high school so I had a first hand experience with the prejudices and attitudes between the races. One thing I did experience was the camaraderie between my fellow back students and I. I grew up on the lower East Side and commuted to the neighborhood around the 12th. street Grand River area for high school. I saw a lot of racial prejudice which was well founded at the time. The one thing I noticed that as I spent time with my classmates [[some white, mostly Black and Latino) the attitude changed. I can't say I was accepted but I was treated as an equal mostly because we were from similar backgrounds.
    What I'm getting at is, after starting this thread that the same old misconceptions and stone throwing are still there. I see a lot of animosity still exists. I asked for dialog without the racial mudslinging and look what happened here. I don't know if this city can ever be rebuilt without rebuilding attitudes toward one another. It takes more than brick and mortar and Q-Lines and arenas. It takes a total change in the underlying hatred that still exists.

There were a lot of well meaning posts here but as is often the case on this website, it turned into a temper tantrum between angry people. So in ending, I am so sorry we still can't establish constructive conversation without the mudslinging.

Good Luck and Goodbye.
    You know, it's 2016. "Sensible dialogue" on this topic has already been settled. The very questions you asked weren't sensible at this point.

It's like having a dialogue on whether or not the Earth is flat.

To the OP. When you decided to open this discussion you asked for thoughts on both sides, which IMO you got. You did not say if you disagree or don't like them you would run away from your own thread. Someone brought up white privilege. Although this was written in 1988 it is relevant to this discussion.
    http://www.collegeart.org/pdf/divers...-privilege.pdf

Good Luck and Goodbye.
    Oh please, having read this whole thing, I didn't see any mudslinging or hate here. Misunderstandings; yes. Disagreements; yes. Debate; yes. Hate; I don't see it and certainly didn't feel any. Why is it these days that when anyone disagrees, they're labeled as "haters"? Did you really think you'd start a discussion on the topic of race without also generating some emotion? Dr. King gave his life for the benefit of racial equality, and you run away when a few people disagree with each other...

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Van View Post
    Oh please, having read this whole thing, I didn't see any mudslinging or hate here. Misunderstandings; yes. Disagreements; yes. Debate; yes. Hate; I don't see it and certainly didn't feel any. Why is it these days that when anyone disagrees, they're labeled as "haters"? Did you really think you'd start a discussion on the topic of race without also generating some emotion? Dr. King gave his life for the benefit of racial equality, and you run away when a few people disagree with each other...
    It's not necessarily hate. It's also not really misunderstanding, disagreement, or debate. It's more likely stupidity and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It's not necessarily hate. It's also not really misunderstanding, disagreement, or debate. It's more likely stupidity and fear.
    Calling someone stupid and fearful is hate speech.

If you're white and you're butthurt and whiny over this, then go to the job fair and apply. Do you think you're going to be kicked out by some Black Panthers guarding the door? Denied entry? Refused a job application if you ask for one?

P.S. Here's some statistics for you, if you even care about racial disparities:

White unemployment rate in Michigan at the start of 2016: 3.7%
    Black unemployment rate in Michigan at the start of 2016: 11%