Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
Steve, I don't know what others' definition of take home pay is, but I define it as my net wages after all deductions, taxes, health insurance, retirement contribution. That view is shared by my co-workers, including Martin. No, the person referenced by Martin makes more than minimum wage. That person makes approximately $15-!6 per hour. Now before anyone starts getting off on a "Those county employees make too much" rant, because that's not where I want to take the discussion, be advised of the information. This $5.65 an hour take home stated by Martin is an illustration of how deep the cuts Evans is proposing are. According to Martin's calculation, these changes would wipe out about 2/3 of the employee's pay in wage cuts and increased deductions. I think that what he was trying to drive home.
Jackie, I think you and I are in the 'same ballpark'.

Take home pay is net take home pay after required deductions.

I assume that $15 or $16 / hour is a typical pay. I hope no one here expects those County employees to work for less than McDonalds pays. $15 / hour is not a middle class wage [[I came up with 31.2K/year, which I believe is 'below average' nationally; a 'working class' wage, not 'middle class' wage).

The real issue, as Jackie indicates, is the CUMULATVE effects of a pay cut, increase in other deductions, e.g., health insurance, pension, etc.

A 5% cut in hourly wages can easily become say 10 -15% if there are significant increases in other required deductions. Health insurance costs are obviously concern for all workers.