Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Perhaps the "Grosse Pointe Parke's Crime Deterrent and Walkability Improving Barn®" is a little shake up from what's been tried in the past. You know - burnt out houses, liquor stores, abandoned store fronts and urban prairies that have brought so much vibrance and longevity to the existing "region". But the dismal tone around here suggests it will be short lived. No such forward thinking should be tried, unless it's done with other peoples money.

Tell you what, when the structure is inevitably burned down, upper-eastside Detroiters can claim it as a jewel. Orr and his cronies will have to pry it from your cold, dead hands. Plus it would seamlessly fit right into...... oh, say any corner of the neighborhood.
    It's so cute how everyone is rushing to defend Grosse Pointe Parke's Crime Deterrent and Walkability Improving Barn® even though it's quite obviously a half-assed plan. They could built a structure that would be much better suited for a farmers market, as well as year round activities. The only difference is that ass end of the barn wouldn't be mooning Detroit in an almost taunting "This is a GPP thing nyah nyah" way. They didn't intergrate the entire set up with anything except their side of the fence, and I think that's part of the reason why some of us are saying "oh wow". Not to mention it looks like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    It's so cute how everyone is rushing to defend Grosse Pointe Parke's Crime Deterrent and Walkability Improving Barn® even though it's quite obviously a half-assed plan. They could built a structure that would be much better suited for a farmers market, as well as year round activities. The only difference is that ass end of the barn wouldn't be mooning Detroit in an almost taunting "This is a GPP thing nyah nyah" way. They didn't intergrate the entire set up with anything except their side of the fence, and I think that's part of the reason why some of us are saying "oh wow". Not to mention it looks like shit.
    But see, you injecting assertions without fact or application of common logic. Which makes it...... purely conjecture ~ and close to what MCM did to fan the flames. First, how do you know this is a permanent structure? You don't, but how else can we stir the pot around here without a good old fashioned dose of assumption.

Secondly, common logic would prevail that GPP erected this structure in a time frame fit to be usable during THIS farmers market season. I know, maybe this coffee is a little too fresh for some, but that there is the flavor of a municipality NOT dragging it's feet. Real eye opener. I wouldn't worry, upper/east-Detroit's farmers market is cutting the last of its red tape as we speak.

Did you forget that a water main needed mending? How about the concrete formwork and pouring that needed to be done...... done right as well? Leaving a small window for any semblance of a Detroit stamped-for-approval structure that did not offend everyone this side of the Mason-Dixon. Lastly, every concert venue has obstructed seats. Ooops..... not ALL venues [[can't speak in entireties I forgot), but most venues have a side less desirable. Where should the farmers market end? Where should it begin? The bottom line answer is who funded this market?

And why all the rhetoric about proverbial middle fingers? This market district was rolled out with an open-arms mantra. Nobody is stopping Detroiters from visiting and being included in the festivities.

It's ok, Detroit can exclude GPP from its own market when it comes online if that's really the popular belief. Detroiters are still encouraged to participate in GPP though. A + B =/= B + A.........

the barn is a distracting view from the Detroit side.. I hope the remaining few home owners on the Detroit side were compensated for this obvious infringement of their view... their properties are now worth less due to the blocked view......

Oh for God's sake. You can still get to GP from detroit. Just because you can't floor it to make the Alter light and run everyone over doesn't mean you're not free to travel. This is a traffic calming measure people. There's no conspiracy.

Chill for God's sake. I welcome the relief from speeders and those damn buses.

Maybe a enterprising Chaldean Grocer could set up shop on the backside of the barn or church's setting up a Bar b Que Rib and Slaw fund raiser on a rotating basis every weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Maybe a enterprising Chaldean Grocer could set up shop on the backside of the barn or church's setting up a Bar b Que Rib and Slaw fund raiser on a rotating basis every weekend.
    I did for a moment consider what the "blibbiddy blobbody who-who dilly silo®" could sell out the back door, but then I reminded myself of the fact that anyone who is pro-farmers market should be tip toeing around on lily-white egg shells and carefully choosing their words, lest be labeled a hate monger.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I suspect that you do understand the line of thought but just want to be a disagreeing asshole.
    No, I really don't understand the logic that the barns won't keep out crime but will keep out Detroiters. In fact, I find it completely illogical. I think they do neither. Unless you show can show me the logic of how it will do so, I don't think being called a 'disagreeing asshole' is warranted.

If I had my choice, they could have put in the round-about with the sailboat sculpture and called it a day-- if they were going to do anything to quell the traffic flow. The barns look incredibly tacky and aren't worth a darn. The GPP farmers' market is a complete bust anyway. Its not like the barns are going to add anything to their already worthless market. They have about ten vendors with varying quality and at a cost that exceeds what you can get just a few miles away at EM [[with much better selection and variety). With that said, however, I don't see their stupid idea as racist, merely stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    If white folks just keep their communities along East Side Detroit [[say from Conner Rd to E. 8 Mile Rd.) to five richviles and Harper Woods Border, then the Kercheval Wall and other walls along Alter Rd. would not happen.
    Danny, I'm trying to make sure I understood/deciphered your post...So are you saying if white flight and the migration east of 8 mile of said Honkeys did not happen over the last 50 years i.e. [[whitey stayed put from Conner to 8 mile), then the current five white occupied richville residents would never have built the barriers along Alter rd from Korte to Kercheval ?? If thats what you were saying then its an interesting hypothesis.
    Last edited by EASTSIDE CAT 67-83; July-25-14 at 06:49 AM.

This thread is like the war in the middle east. It's totally ridiculous and it just keeps going on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Gpwrangler View Post
    Oh for God's sake. You can still get to GP from detroit. Just because you can't floor it to make the Alter light and run everyone over doesn't mean you're not free to travel. This is a traffic calming measure people. There's no conspiracy.
    Am I really to believe that GPP has never heard of a speed bump?

ihearted, you're really suggesting putting a speed bump in the middle of the street? Have you ever heard of snowplows?

Quote Originally Posted by cjd View Post
    No, I really don't understand the logic that the barns won't keep out crime but will keep out Detroiters. In fact, I find it completely illogical. I think they do neither. Unless you show can show me the logic of how it will do so, I don't think being called a 'disagreeing asshole' is warranted.

If I had my choice, they could have put in the round-about with the sailboat sculpture and called it a day-- if they were going to do anything to quell the traffic flow. The barns look incredibly tacky and aren't worth a darn. The GPP farmers' market is a complete bust anyway. Its not like the barns are going to add anything to their already worthless market. They have about ten vendors with varying quality and at a cost that exceeds what you can get just a few miles away at EM [[with much better selection and variety). With that said, however, I don't see their stupid idea as racist, merely stupid.
    If criminals want to go there badly enough, they'll just continue to go there. [[Or maybe they already live there...) But GPP just built a barn in the middle of what was a through street... And the back of the barn faces Detroit. I don't see how you could build something to more explicitly say that it's not for those on the Detroit side. And that's cool, it's their money so they can do whatever they want to do with it. Please accept the criticism free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    ihearted, you're really suggesting putting a speed bump in the middle of the street? Have you ever heard of snowplows?
    Am I really to believe that every other snow-prone city on Earth has figured how to erect a sign to point to a speed bump except for GPP?

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I find that a curious comment. I have a deep belief or concept that we all share responsibility for furthering world peace, global responsibility and fellowship with all races and religions. Please elaborate your comment.
    'Citizen of the World' is a tribal identity term. There of course is no such citizenship. When I hear the term, it usually indicates that the writer's mind is closed to a lot of traditional ideas of how we interact with the world as commiunities, state, nations, ethnicities.

At the heart of it, the term suggests contempt for the traditional ways we've been able to build civil society, and that we need to toss aside the old ways.

To me, borders and nations are historical ideas that we should toss off as soon as possible. One only need to look to Eastern Ukraine to see the dark side of nationalism. But it the real world, borders and sensible controls on immigration are what has enabled us to create a productive and wealthy society. 'Citizen of the World' says that you value open borders and the rights of displaced persons around the world more than you respect how borders and sensible immigration has helped build the society in which we live.

To the left, it sounds uncaring. But to the right, borders and immigration control prevent messes like the current mess where the US has effectively been inducing Central Americans to toss their kids at our border. I do want to help people in less prosperous places, but I'd rather build see them own civil society with out help [[such as Gates is doing) rather than accept all of the world's problems and deteriorate our ability to create wealth -- the purpose for which is to help everyone.

So back to the thread... GP can have its own mini border control opinions. I hope their motive is civil society for all. And I allow that sometimes that involves some inconvenience to others. I think the radical leftists race-baiters here should accept that there is also a right for black Detroiters to have a safe shopping area near them. GP provides that. And until Detroit creates its own shopping areas, we should let GP keep theirs safe for everyone including Detroiters and should not micro-manage their actions because we may think they are racists.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; July-25-14 at 11:26 AM.

Am I really to believe that every other snow-prone city on Earth has figured how to erect a sign to point to a speed bump except for GPP?
    You're to believe that the only option GPP had at all period was to erect the Grosse Pointe Parke Crime Deterrent and Walkability Improving Barn® to help slow speeders. Or prevent crime. Or whatever you want to say. Just remember that if you disagree with GPP's decision, regardless of why, you're absolutely wrong because reasons. Also TKShreve and Bham1982 said so.

8 pages later... are we all at least agreed that GPP built the offending barns on their own property? SHOCKINGLY appears to be little to no follow up by the CoD or Muckracker on that accusation of land theft.
    Last edited by bailey; July-25-14 at 11:36 AM.

And the back of the barn faces Detroit. I don't see how you could build something to more explicitly say that it's not for those on the Detroit side.
    they should immediately turn the barns to face the demographics of less population, less income, and higher crime..... make sense

Atwater Brewery should also be condemned for building in that church in GPP, which is obviously an insult to Detroit with its many welcoming and available vacant churches they could have used instead....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    they should immediately turn the barns to face the demographics of less population, less income, and higher crime..... make sense
    Because that was obviously the only other option.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    8 pages later... are we all at least agreed that GPP built the offending barns on their own property? SHOCKINGLY appears to be little to no follow up by the CoD or Muckracker on that accusation of land theft.
    I still think that all of the wonderful amateur planners and surveyors need to wait for official word. GPP has only had one of their council like people say "Yeah I'm pretty sure we did due diligence, noted Detroit Planning Commission worker "That Guy" said it was all good". That's not final word on the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post

Atwater Brewery should also be condemned for building in that church in GPP, which is obviously an insult to Detroit with its many welcoming and available vacant churches they could have used instead....
    So the Grosse Pointe Parke Crime Deterrent and Walkability Improving Barn® can only have the front face east or west, not possibly south or north? My issue comes from the fact that it could've been placed against the southern border of the farmers market, facing north. It would've looked more inviting to the residents on the The Wrong Side of the Street, and would have opened up more space for suburban people activities. But nope, we have to have the back facing Detroit because reasons.

Look up traffic calming, and how it is done. GP doesn't need speed bumps; they actually enforce the speed limits there. Traffic calming is intended to reduce straight through traffic and keep it on thoroughfares like Mack. It is working very well if you ask me.

Look up traffic calming, and how it is done. GP doesn't need speed bumps; they actually enforce the speed limits there. Traffic calming is intended to reduce straight through traffic and keep it on thoroughfares like Mack. It is working very well if you ask me.
    That is a traffic blockade, not a traffic calming device.

Won't argue that point. It's fine with residents who live in the neighborhood. Take Mack Ave.

Wouldn't a blockade be a dead end? Are we missing the fact that it's basically a traffic circle? You still can enter GP from the detroit side. What is marginally more difficult is leaving GP. Hardly a effective deterrent to detroiter's entering if their path to do so is practically unfettered.
    Last edited by bailey; July-25-14 at 01:01 PM.

The parking area under construction behind Atwater is being constructed on lots that are subject to "residential only" deed restrictions.

Won't argue that point. It's fine with residents who live in the neighborhood. Take Mack Ave.
    I am positive it is fine with the people of the neighboring areas of Detroit too It's not like they may have used the road out of convenience or anything. Remember the mantra of the suburbs: Don't worry about anyone except yourself!

Edit - I forgot, do those Detroiters even have CARS?? LOL!

/sarcasm
    Last edited by motz; July-25-14 at 05:42 PM. Reason: sigh

Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast