Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

TennisAndMath Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EL Jimbo View Post
    Um...NOBODY enjoys getting in and out of the Palace unless they are masochists. I live in the Lansing area and I think the Palace sucks. The arena in and of itself is great. However, when you start and end the experience sitting in traffic because the area was never designed to handle it and there is NOTHING to do around it.

Also, let's face it. The people who are scared of Detroit are literally a dying breed. The 30 something and younger crowd has no fear of heading downtown for an event. Those are the people who are driving the investment in downtown entertainment. Not the scarred old-timers whose numbers dwindle daily.
    The Palace is an incredibly convenient venue for us. We gave up my Pistons season tickets [[we had since it opened) because they're terrible, the crowd became annoying and it was a waste of time. We still attend all of the major concerts.

Your "nobody is scared" is more of the same BS coded language, which suggests anyone "afraid" of Detroit is an old racist. [[And in 2003, anyone against the war in Iraq was anti-American, right?) People should always be on high alert in Detroit. If they're not, it just highlights the suburban arrogance that everything is always OK because they're wealthy, savvy and super-smart. Nobody would dare touch them! I saw this arrogance both summers I spent abroad in college and on various trips oversees. Affluent and naive young Americans think some sort of bubble or shield protects them wherever they go. Sketchy district in Paris, ghettos of Thailand... most violent major US city? No problem, we're likable Americans!

If you don't think anyone is scared of Detroit, I'm wondering why no Detroit gas stations report an uptick in revenue when games are going on. Wonder why those brave "30-somethings and younger" aren't stopping for snacks or fuel.
    Last edited by TennisAndMath; July-22-14 at 08:58 AM.