Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    RO Resident + Detroit Planner:

Do the powers that be and State take into consideration traffic congestion caused by construction when considering the scope/cost/duration of a road project?
    Yes extensive public meetings and input went into the closure of I-96 in Livonia. If it is closed down completely, they can get the job done in 5 months. If it is left partially open to traffic it will take 2 years and will be congested anyway.

MDOT began seeking public input on closing down roads for about 15 years now. Roads where this was used on included I-75 downtown, with M-39 it was found that the public was okay with it closed down on the weekends so 90 percent of that project was done then. When I-96 from downtown to telegraph was reconstructed, it was a mixture of closures and openings. The Lodge was closed down completely when it was rebuilt.

It is a pain at first, but eventually traffic finds an equilibrium and once that happens things are good. One issue that needs to be planned for carefully is to make sure that alternative routes are not under construction at the same time the freeway is closed or it gets all buggered up.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yes extensive public meetings and input went into the closure of I-96 in Livonia. If it is closed down completely, they can get the job done in 5 months. If it is left partially open to traffic it will take 2 years and will be congested anyway.
    That can't be the case. Years back when undertaking a major reconstruction project crews used to be out working round the clock. Now it seems as if they just work 9-5, M-F. I want to say I recall hearing the explanation being a desire to reduce overtime, thus cost on the project.

If they were really concerned about minimizing the impact on local business and citizens they would take 2 of the crews that were simulaneously working on Southfield, the Lodge and I-75 [[they usally choose roadways that run in the same direction) and have them work on only 1 project at a time. 3 shift operation. 24/7. That would get the guys back on a 8 hour day and minimizes the OT cost, while cutting the project time from 6 months to 2. When was the last time you've seen some major reconstruction done that didn't have the highway shut down the entire summer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    That can't be the case. Years back when undertaking a major reconstruction project crews used to be out working round the clock. Now it seems as if they just work 9-5, M-F. I want to say I recall hearing the explanation being a desire to reduce overtime, thus cost on the project.
    The cost of time-and-a-half pay and double-time results in around a 33% price increase. Further, fatal accidents were far more common with night crews than daytime