Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    When that time comes, the only caveat is that per PA 436, local officials can vote to remove the EM at their discretion.
    Which might be what the other "candidates" are preparing for. Dump the EM, sell the art, pocket the money, life goes on in the D.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Epilogue...

On the plus side for him, Mike Duggan has definitely heightened is profile and elevated his already high name recognition which, along with his accumulated campaign treasury, positions him well to knock off the ailing Ficano for Wayne County exec.

Another plus in that direction is that he was not in the campaign long enough to mix it up with the now Mayor-apparent Benny Napoleon. This lays the groundwork for positive working relationship. Imagine a bitter bomb-throwing campaign where Duggan loses then gets elected to Wayne County exec.

Oh, and BTW, congratulations to Mike Duggan for being this year's winner of the Thaddeus McCotter Award for Political Campaign efficiency.

Do you think this was a setup?

Be sure to send him a calendared meeting notice for the awards ceremony, will you? I wouldn't want to see him show up on the wrong day.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; June-19-13 at 01:23 PM.

Now it's official. Duggan's out of race and Detroit candidates has 3 top black candidates.

1. BENNY NAPOLEON

2. KRISTIN CRITTENDON

3. LIZA HOWZE

I'm looking at LIZA HOWZE for Detroit's first female mayor. Keep Napoleon from conquering Detroit. Please keep him out from Lansing. His run for mayor will start a political war against Michigan Legislature and Snyder.

By the August Primary It would be Benny Napoleon vs. Liza Howze for Mayor. Tom Barrow has wasted his time kicking folks out of the Detroit politics. He will lose in the instant. This is sad day in Detroit. It’s all about playing race cards and BLACKS ONLY politics.

duggans a quitter huh? just like sarah palin and all those other quitters.

the mayor of detroit has no power and will continue to have zero power for the next 10 years.

^^^ Quitter? Umm, he was not even a 'starter' to have made such a critical, obvious and impossible to 'defend' mistake!

A mistake that could have been avoided just from timing. Like I've said before he should have went into this with a 'two-week' cushion beyond the 365 days. Oh well, in comes Napoleon....

I wonder if Duggan will leave Detroit now?
    Last edited by Zacha341; June-19-13 at 01:38 PM.

I'm leaning towards Howze....

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Now it's official. Duggan's out of race and Detroit candidates has 3 top black candidates.

1. BENNY NAPOLEON

2. KRISTIN CRITTENDON

3. LIZA HOWZE

I'm looking at LIZA HOWZE for Detroit's first female mayor. Keep Napoleon from conquering Detroit. Please keep him out from Lansing. His run for mayor will start a political war against Michigan Legislature and Snyder.

....This is sad day in Detroit. It’s all about playing race cards and BLACKS ONLY politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Along with Bing, I'm quite sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Nawwwww..... He's back in the City he LOVES!

lots of interesting things on howze's website

http://votelisahowze.com/site/detroi...ial-condition/

“The state of Michigan claims that Detroit has a $15 billion long-term debt crisis. After my financial team and I reviewed the city’s audited financial statements, long-term obligations in the city’s general fund are less than $2 billion. This is not a crisis.
    http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Lisa_Howze

campaign donors for howze
    http://miboecfr.nicusa.com/cgi-bin/c...amount&sched=*
    'ficano pac'? that name sounds so familiar... i wonder if they have much of a connection.

benny napoleon:
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...utside_detroit
    "Even Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun chipped in $2,500 last year."

Krystal Crittendon
    Former detroit corporate council. her record speaks for itself.

those are the top 3?

Benny will be starting the friends and family plan all over again. Detroit is in trouble already without this turd.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    lots of interesting things on howze's website

http://votelisahowze.com/site/detroi...ial-condition/

http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Lisa_Howze

'ficano pac'? that name sounds so familiar... i wonder if they have much of a connection.

benny napoleon:
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic...utside_detroit
    "Even Ambassador Bridge owner Matty Moroun chipped in $2,500 last year."

Krystal Crittendon
    Former detroit corporate council. her record speaks for itself.

those are the top 3?
    Ugh, I just can't get over Howze believing Detroit's financial status is not a crisis. She's a CPA??

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Nawwwww..... He's back in the City he LOVES!
    Duggan on dropping out of the Detroit Mayoral race and future plans.

'F*&% this! I'm moving back to Livonia. At least folks there care about their city and their community.'

Rules are rules in politics. Having your campaign upended or ended because of things you could control is a terrible thing to go through, though, I am sure. Happened to McCotter because of his aids failed to submit valid signatures, which could have been easily obtained. Ditto Gingrich in Virginia's primary last year. Hillary Clinton's campaign were banking on big state wins to leapfrog ahead of Obama in delegates in 2008 after his early wins. What they failed to realize is that the rules had changed, and those states were no longer winner-take-all. So after early wins, Obama would come out ahead in the end as long as he stayed close in most states. Duggan is following in a long line of distinguished people done in by assuming the details would just fall into place. You actually need to check on those details.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    I see that donation came on 10/27/2011 when she was a state rep. Just seems like ordinary politics to me. What I find more interesting is the donation from Melvin [[Butch) Hollowell, legal advisor to Duggan's mayoral campaign, on the same date.

I always wanted to know more about Howze, but the media tripped over themselves to see who they could cover more, Duggan or Napoleon. Now that Duggan's out, I hope they give us more information on the other candidates. IIRC, Howze was the first one to declare she was running for mayor, and also had a campaign commercial run during the Super Bowl.
    Last edited by downtownguy; June-19-13 at 03:51 PM.

Howze believes and has stated numerous times that there is no financial emergency, that the numbers are all mistakes. But whatever, she has a plan to fix it all.

Sort of a panderer to say that there is no emergency - playing to the grapethrower contingent.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Howze believes and has stated numerous times that there is no financial emergency, that the numbers are all mistakes. But whatever, she has a plan to fix it all.

Sort of a panderer to say that there is no emergency - playing to the grapethrower contingent.
    She is either a panderer or she really believes it. I heard her when she made that statement. Either way that's bad, it lets me know she isn't ready. Ms Howze at some point may be Detroit's first female mayor, but it won't be this election cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Ugh, I just can't get over Howze believing Detroit's financial status is not a crisis. She's a CPA??
    Maybe she's a DAMN GOOD one?

I guess I'll try to get excited about Benny being mayor. He should win by simply having more money than the others plus the quality of the opposition being so, so mediocre. First of all I'm not voting for a convicted felon for an office like mayor. In a previous post I mentioned my issues with Howze. Crittendon, I don't know if I would vote for her in a lessor office like council much less mayor. Here is a statement from her web site " Detroit does not have a financial problem; it has a collection problem. As Mayor, this is how I will correct it. I will go after revenues owed by larger companies and businesses, including income taxes, property taxes, fees and fines" This statement shows such a stunning lack of financial acumen I don't really want to spend the time to break that statement down. Howze I do hold out some hope but I don't think she's ready. So in my mind its Benny or bust and the Detroit voter gets shortchanged again.

Well that punk Barrow must be laughing. He already has the dirty smirk down pat. In Detroit anybody crazy enough to run for mayor should be given a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    How is what I said racist, Cincinnati? Really? I think you misunderstand. It's hard to consider Napoleon competent because he's way over his department's budget and he tried to spend more on 'personal drivers' until the county stopped him. Tom Barrow is a convicted felon. That is a fact. He is also a racist AND has a segregationist stance. He made it a point to call out Duggan for living in Livonia [[us vs. them mentality) and said that he doesn't even have a 'Detroit accent'. What does that mean? Honestly, I don't care what color the mayor is....I just want this crap fixed. I want the suburbs and the city to work together. I've touted nothing but regionalism on this forum.
    Ok, now that you've re-arranged the chairs in the room, and explained yourself, I misunderstood how you were trying to convey your statement. My apologies. I'm also saying this city vs suburb, white vs black, finger pointing has to stop for all of us to prosper in SE Michigan. I don't like the choices that remain either, but the reality is one of those choices is going to be Mayor.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; June-19-13 at 07:34 PM.

Are there any obscure, but more qualified candidates that maybe Duggan could endorse?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Are there any obscure, but more qualified candidates that maybe Duggan could endorse?
    The political pool of candidates in Detroit is quite shallow. There is a younger generation in their 30's and 40's that might bear watching

Here's a list of eligible candidates, aside from You-Know-Who. It's amazing how you would think that half these people didn't exist, according to the media coverage. It's as though every journalist in the city all had a horrible accident with a lawnmower, and can't count past maybe four.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...act%20info.pdf

I would like to hear more about and from John Olumba and Lisa Howze.

hmm... So now that the "primary carpetbagger" [[Duggan) in the race is no longer running, and the "secondary carpetbagger" [[Bing) already announced that he's not running for mayor, where does this leave the current race for mayor, now that there is no longer an obvious "villain" in the running? So much of the discussion so far has been on what folks don't like in Duggan and Bing [[and of course Snyder and Orr, who are not running for mayor). But unless any of the candidates have a plan to somehow inspire mass-revolt in the state legislature, I don’t see the EM law being rescinded [[again), and of course Mr. Orr has another 16 months [[officially) to get going whatever all reforms that he says he plans to do.
    At the very least, there should be no more excuses about a “manufactured candidate” being in the race. I wonder what the tenor and tone will be in the upcoming mayoral debates? Will this be a contest to see who can prove who is the most ‘pro-black’? Sniping about roles played in past employment and/or mayoral regimes? Rumors about fundraising events in the suburbs? Unpaid back taxes?
    I’m hoping that real policy issues and quality of life topics will be directly addressed. Unfortunately, my cynical-senses tell me that we’ll probably be in for mostly a bunch of free-for-all mudslinging until November.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    Here's a list of eligible candidates, aside from You-Know-Who. It's amazing how you would think that half these people didn't exist, according to the media coverage. It's as though every journalist in the city all had a horrible accident with a lawnmower, and can't count past maybe four.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...act%20info.pdf

I would like to hear more about and from John Olumba and Lisa Howze.
    Deadline Detroit calls Olumba, Ferris Bueller...lol. I guess he is not only tardy to the party, he doesnt show up.
    http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/artic..._most_absences

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast