Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Any thing man makes can break, that's for sure. Frequency and management of the problems is the difference, plus or minus. I love using Macs but detest my Apple Iphone... which has precipitated a couple of visits to the Apple store at Somerset.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    "One day" I have to get hold of a Mac something, to see what all the fuss is about. A lot of PC users I talk to don't like them because of the lack of a file structure, [[or so I've heard). Because of how I make my living, I stick to PC's, and I have enough other hobbies to fill my time. I was merely yanking your chain because every time I encounter a Mac user, they get tears in their eyes telling me how great they are. "They NEVER break, and they NEVER get viruses".

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I've been reading this thread with mild interest. I thought you proved you point pages back with your posted links. Based on your "dings", I'd say you know what you're talking about. People who aren't in the trenches tend to live more in an non-empirical world, and require "stats" with pie-charts and graphs to back up claims and have points made proven.
    Or, you know, actual proof and not anecdotal musings.

After reading through this entire post, no wonder people are running away from Metro-Detroit as fast as possible.

We're are a bunch of uptight jealous whiners, racist, complainers, low self-esteem having people with complexity issues who cannot seem to find a positive aspect in anything. I understand why people see Metro Detroit as a depressing region. I never really paid attention until I started reading this website, but then began observing. All we do is whine & complain about EVERYTHING.

Meantime, while our population is shrinking faster than we can imagine and other cities are making the best of what they have, moving forward. Even small desert cities are passing us by. Detroit is built on nothing but a reputation of the past. The good has left.
    Last edited by illwill; March-16-13 at 08:37 PM.

Illwill... whining and complaining is not a "metro-Detroit" exclusive... if you look at the comments of the Washington Post... the New York Times, the Chicago Tribune or the LA Times... you will see like minded whining and complaining

m b v Guest

Default Somerset Collection's reign in jeopardy? Pt 2.

Since the first thread, http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...gn-in-jeopardy, got mighty off topic, I thought I'd make a part 2, where we can focus on the issues that continued to surface in the 11 pages of part 1.

My parents and friends who still live in the B'ham area now avoid it like the plague, commenting that the clientele has taken a drastic shift the past 5 or so years. Crime seems very high. Hyde Park in Birmingham is full, Capital Grille is not. Shopping options deeper into Oakland County include: Nordstrom into Novi, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Saks or Neiman move into Novi’s JCP, since JCP seems to be on the road to bankruptcy. Rochester area residents handle a lot of shopping at the Village, and Partridge Creek for Clinton Twp folks. All shopping centers have a life cycle, and a demographic shift and options closer to home can certainly exacerbate that normal decline. On the flip side, perhaps something can be done to reverse the decline?
    You have three of the most dangerous cities in the country [[Detroit, Pontiac, Flint), all with very high unemployment rates, within 30 minutes of Troy. There has been an uptick in both reported and unreported crime at Somerset.

Talk to anyone who grew up going to Somerset, works at Somerset or patrols at Somerset and they will tell you the crowd has drastically changed, and not for the better. I used to love Somerset, and considered it a beautiful high-end shopping destination for the region. As I said in part 1, I saw two “grab & goes” occur on two separate occasions at Macy’s and Neiman Marcus. The sales associates didn’t bat an eyelash, claiming, “That happens all of the time.” For the past 5 or so years it's a haven for groups of obnoxious, potentially criminal, loiters with their underwear showing -- which doesn’t bode well for the future of Metro Detroit’s high-end shopping center. Contrary to what you hyper-PC types think, surburban women [[especially) are increasingly wary to shop there. I'd really hate for it to end up like Pentagon City in Washington, DC -- which is a busy but disgusting mega mall near the capital. But perhaps since it's surrounded by such decay, it's impossible to thwart the decline.
    Last edited by m b v; March-17-13 at 12:48 PM.

Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

Just say no.

Why not make a new thread called Black People bad for business?

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Why not make a new thread called Black People bad for business?
    Summit Place, Northland, Eastland, Genesee Valley Mall, Oakland Mall, et al.
    Last edited by m b v; March-17-13 at 12:49 PM.

Creating two threads for the same topic doesn't make the topic any less pointless.

One of my old clients was the late, great Maury Cohen of Forbes/Cohen Properties...who was still in the game a bit when they joined in with the northern addition to Somerset and became part owners of the whole. I spent quite a bit of time with him during my project in his old boathouse/guesthouse. I can only imagine his reaction to this...

...of course, it would depend on the time of day, as his always had a powerful personality hinge at noon...

...but in the morning I'd bet he'd hire or otherwise attempt to help every one of the perps he personally would've met touring the mall, while in the afternoon he might try to throw each of them back to where they came. Little dude had incredible strength...but I knew him as the gentle and considerate mentee, bearer of wisdom I cherish his sharing even today.

Until I got kicked off his Turtle Lake property for daring to sell him a CD changer that didn't like him stacking discs in the drawer-pan...and he didn't like my suggesting he look closer for ones with black labels which he obsiously didn't see late at night.

But I digress...Maury wouldn't have stood to see his benchmark mall devolve. You gotta wonder if the current management is blind to these new dynamics, or stymied finding a responsible and reasonable response without serioiusly increasing their liabilities.

Fairlane's no-teens-without-adults policy was a double-edged sword. But their mall had gone well into serving the demographic they were trying to control, if not outrightly ban...I don't see this with Somerset, at least not yet.

Cheers, anyways. It was fun remembering one of my favorite clients.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    I saw two “grab & goes” occur on two separate occasions at Macy’s and Neiman Marcus.
    I've never heard the term "grab & goes" before. Is that just like shoplifting, or is it a different kind of theft?

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by psubliminal View Post
    I've never heard the term "grab & goes" before. Is that just like shoplifting, or is it a different kind of theft?
    Very brazen form of shoplifting. Grab [[high-end) item[[s) and run for the door, to a waiting escape vehicle. Vehicle can be on the I-75 on-ramp before mall security or Troy Police even hear of the incident.
    Last edited by m b v; March-17-13 at 02:37 PM.

What exactly do you hope to accomplish with your little crusade? Somerset isn't going to ban all African-Americans or anyone you decide looks like a thug or a shoplifter.

Very brazen form of shoplifting. Grab [[high-end) item[[s) and run for the door, to a waiting escape vehicle. Vehicle can be on the I-75 on-ramp before mall security or Troy Police even hear of the incident.
    did you try to, say, trip the grabber, or did you sit on your ass and do nothing?

Since the first thread, http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...gn-in-jeopardy, got mighty off topic, I thought I'd make a part 2, where we can focus on the issues that continued to surface in the 11 pages of part 1.

You have three of the most dangerous cities in the country [[Detroit, Pontiac, Flint), all with very high unemployment rates, within 30 minutes of Troy. There has been an uptick in both reported and unreported crime at Somerset.

Talk to anyone who grew up going to Somerset, works at Somerset or patrols at Somerset and they will tell you the crowd has drastically changed, and not for the better. I used to love Somerset, and considered it a beautiful high-end shopping destination for the region. As I said in part 1, I saw two “grab & goes” occur on two separate occasions at Macy’s and Neiman Marcus. The sales associates didn’t bat an eyelash, claiming, “That happens all of the time.” For the past 5 or so years it's a haven for groups of obnoxious, potentially criminal, loiters with their underwear showing -- which doesn’t bode well for the future of Metro Detroit’s high-end shopping center. Contrary to what you hyper-PC types think, surburban women [[especially) are increasingly wary to shop there. I'd really hate for it to end up like Pentagon City in Washington, DC -- which is a busy but disgusting mega mall near the capital. But perhaps since it's surrounded by such decay, it's impossible to thwart the decline.
    As I have stated earlier, last month spending quite a bit of time there I saw far fewer of the "potential criminals" that you like to harp on than the year before. Every patron I observed was properly paying for their goods or services. My sister has worked at Somerset on and off for over 4 years and NEVER once complained about crime or the black youths around the mall. Yes there is crime there and most of it is shoplifting. I have shopped there since the mall opened over 40 years ago and have never felt uneasy there. As for the suburban women EVERY Grosse Pointe female I know shops there and I have never heard them complain about the kids or any crime! You keep bringing this subject up but only spout out generalities. Maybe its time to go somewhere else to shop as you are clearly unhappy with Somerset.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-17-13 at 07:43 PM.

Lock the doors, kids with their underwear showing are outside!!!

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Lock the doors, kids with their underwear showing are outside!!!
    That may be the dumbest urban fashion trend of all time. Lets run around with our pants hanging down and keep on pulling them up all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliffy View Post
    That may be the dumbest urban fashion trend of all time. Lets run around with our pants hanging down and keep on pulling them up all day.
    I agree and if they knew the true meaning of the "trend" I do not think they would wear their pants that way.

[...] I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset, which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a difference of opinion and shopping preferences.
    Tch, tch ... when reporting diminuer en hauteur, one must use correct grammar.

Your utterance: "Me ... no longer do and will avoid ..." raises potentially disturbing questions about the "group" to which you really belong.

Miss Manners would never approve, honte sur ton cul.

Quote Originally Posted by runnerXT View Post

I also notice all the people from Chicago coming to Somerset to shop and dine in the region. I don't blame them at all. I was in downtown Chicago today. Michigan Ave was dead except for a few scared tourists. At Somerset you don't have to worry about being shot nor do you have to worry about flash mobs unlike downtown Chicago.

The shopping I saw today along Michigan Ave and around downtown is nothing special. Any old mall in any city offers the same thing. Chicago was empty, dirty, rundown and boring.

Detroit compared to Chicago offers much better architecture and walking and more unique shopping and dining. For the high end dining Birmingham offers much more and better and for high end shopping Somerset is leagues ahead of Chicago.

I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. Detroit blows Chicago out of the water. Be glad Detroit has not sunk to Chicago's level. No wonder everyone sees so many Chicagoans here.
    This post seriously made me laugh. I live in Chicago and can tell you for a fact what you have said here is the farthest thing from the truth that I have ever seen.

First of all, you posted this on a Wednesday, I know for a fact that downtown Chicago isn't dead on a Wednesday. Secondly, where in downtown Chicago has there been any shootings? Downtown is the safest area of Chicago. And calling Chicago dirty, run down and boring? Really? It's anything but that.

So you went into every store in Chicago to gather this information? Is that what you are saying? And what level would that be? Detroit is in much worse shape than Chicago is. Sorry but I and I guarantee many others fail to see where Chicago is dirty, run down, boring and where Detroit blows it out of the water. Thanks for the laugh.

I wasn't being sarcastic. i wondered downtown Chicago today. It's dead and depressing. They do have a nice 5 blocks but outside that its worse than anything Detroit offers.

The stores in Chicago are chains only. Any mall has that. Would you rather walk in warm safe Somerset or cold dreary dangerous downtown Chicago?

I also think there are many shoppers from Chicago come here because not only are the taxes and prices lower but Somerset offers better safety, selection, and vibe.
    Wow Chicago wasn't alive on a cold March day so now it's considered dead and depressing, seen Detroit lately? How is it worse than anything Detroit offers? And no Chicago stores aren't only chain stores that is also false. Also downtown Chicago isn't dangerous I don't know where you are getting that information from. There is also more than just downtown Chicago here, in Detroit Somerset is about all there is for upscale shopping. I don't think you were in downtown Chicago though because I have never heard anyone give an opinion of Chicago like yours, ever.

He claimed he wasn't being sarcastic and I get tired of the false statements people make about Chicago.

I also notice all the people from Chicago coming to Somerset to shop and dine in the region. I don't blame them at all. I was in downtown Chicago today. Michigan Ave was dead except for a few scared tourists. At Somerset you don't have to worry about being shot nor do you have to worry about flash mobs unlike downtown Chicago.

The shopping I saw today along Michigan Ave and around downtown is nothing special. Any old mall in any city offers the same thing. Chicago was empty, dirty, rundown and boring.

Detroit compared to Chicago offers much better architecture and walking and more unique shopping and dining. For the high end dining Birmingham offers much more and better and for high end shopping Somerset is leagues ahead of Chicago.

I'm glad I don't live in Chicago. Detroit blows Chicago out of the water. Be glad Detroit has not sunk to Chicago's level. No wonder everyone sees so many Chicagoans here.
    Cool story, but this simply isn't true.

1) Ok you were downtown on what a Wednesday? It's March, it's cold and windy outside so people are suppose to be out shopping on the Mag Mile in these kinds of conditions?

2) Are you sure you aren't confused with Detroit? Because everything you just stated is true about Detroit but not Chicago. Empty, dirty, run down and boring? You must have been in Englewood or something.

3) Chicago is at least three times the size of Detroit, please don't say that Detroit offers more than Chicago when that simply isn't true. Walking? Are you serious dude? Nobody walks in Detroit, you go downtown and park your car and go to where you need to go, get back in your car and go home. In Chicago however we have what's called mass transit and we don't need a car to travel downtown. I know for a fact that Detroit could take a cue from Chicago on how to run public transportation.

4) I'm glad I don't live in Detroit because Chicago simply blows Detroit out of the water and that is another fact. Detroit has sunk beyond Chicago's level, you are in denial if you say any different.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagoforlife View Post
    2) Are you sure you aren't confused with Detroit?

you are in denial
    Detroit also has a "Michigan Avenue" that runs all the way to Downtown, so one COULD become easily confusioned. "D" Nile isn't only in Africa.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast