Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: "Frank Rizzo"

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I was thinking something more like xanax was more in order! Its rather simplistic that its all just a bunch of white racists who took their money and ran, there are factors far beyond that and would take more than this forum to discuss on the decline of the city. Everyone seems to be flogging a dead horse and when its all said and done we all have prejudices! Its how you deal with them that makes you a Rizzo or not!!! And that goes for EVERYONE on here not just certain ethnic backgraunds.
    Dude. To say "its all a bunch of white racists who took their money and ran" is simplistic. To say that the city lost most of its residents of means, investment, industry, commercial businesses, jobs and wealth is a fact. And that it was surrounded by former residents who'd taken their wealth away from the city and then blamed the city for its condition -- all while ensuring not a red cent of their tax money went to the city.

That's a fact, man. That's where Rizzo comes in. Rizzo keeps peddling myths. Rizzo has a mythological view of history. "They did that. Those animals down there ruined that city. Let them live in that hellhole."

It doesn't get any more "simplistic" than that.

JVB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Dude. To say "its all a bunch of white racists who took their money and ran" is simplistic. To say that the city lost most of its residents of means, investment, industry, commercial businesses, jobs and wealth is a fact. And that it was surrounded by former residents who'd taken their wealth away from the city and then blamed the city for its condition -- all while ensuring not a red cent of their tax money went to the city.

That's a fact, man. That's where Rizzo comes in. Rizzo keeps peddling myths. Rizzo has a mythological view of history. "They did that. Those animals down there ruined that city. Let them live in that hellhole."

Just out of curiosity, what is the black version of Rizzo called?

Quote Originally Posted by JVB View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what is the black version of Rizzo called?
    I already asked that one, [[see post # 107, this thread), and caught a world of crap for it. Apparently all the racism is only one sided. No rich black people ever left the City for the 'burbs.

You are the one saying they picked up their toys and left not me, and I find that way to simplistic! And who is this bunch of white racists you keep going on about?

JVB Guest

And who is this bunch of white racists you keep going on about?
    They're in the barbershops.

You are the one saying they picked up their toys and left not me, and I find that way to simplistic!
    Is that too simplistic? Well, I guess you should pick up a phone and call Dr. Thomas J. Sugrue, author of The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit. You should probably tell Dr. Sugrue that his whole thesis, which was heavily researched, and has received awards and become widely read, is mistaken. You tell him that his thesis is simplistic, and how, in several posts online, people have looked into their personal crystal balls and seen how disaster would have been averted if only the right leadership had been in place.

Next, you should probably call third-generation journalist and former Detroit reporter Scott Martelle, and tell him that the painstaking history he published this year, Detroit: A Biography, is too simplistic, and doesn't dovetail with your personal views on what happened in Detroit.

After that, you should probably next go on to disputing the hard data of the census bureau, which, apparently without consulting you, showed a history of people with means [[which then meant white people almost exclusively) leaving the city starting in the 1950s.

Now you have a big job ahead of you so get some sleep tonight.

And who is this bunch of white racists you keep going on about?
    Racism has a long and stories history in Detroit. Overt racism. Nasty racism. Nowadays, a lot of the racism has been institutionalized up where it isn't seen. But in the old days it was at street level and ugly. Here's an old photo of the sentiments of a typical white Detroit community.
    Name:  White_only_-_Detroit_1943.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  71.2 KB

Is that too simplistic? Well, I guess you should pick up a phone and call Dr. Thomas J. Sugrue, author of The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit. You should probably tell Dr. Sugrue that his whole thesis, which was heavily researched, and has received awards and become widely read, is mistaken. You tell him that his thesis is simplistic, and how, in several posts online, people have looked into their personal crystal balls and seen how disaster would have been averted if only the right leadership had been in place.

Next, you should probably call third-generation journalist and former Detroit reporter Scott Martelle, and tell him that the painstaking history he published this year, Detroit: A Biography, is too simplistic, and doesn't dovetail with your personal views on what happened in Detroit.

After that, you should probably next go on to disputing the hard data of the census bureau, which, apparently without consulting you, showed a history of people with means [[which then meant white people almost exclusively) leaving the city starting in the 1950s.

Now you have a big job ahead of you so get some sleep tonight.

Racism has a long and stories history in Detroit. Overt racism. Nasty racism. Nowadays, a lot of the racism has been institutionalized up where it isn't seen. But in the old days it was at street level and ugly. Here's an old photo of the sentiments of a typical white Detroit community.
    Name:  White_only_-_Detroit_1943.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  71.2 KB
    I read both authors interesting but rehashing the same old shit I have known for years and not quite really getting to the real heart of the matter. Also you do have your facts quite right. People started leaving the city the moment Henry Ford opened the Highland Park Plant in 1908 if I remember correctly. You still have not answered my question who in PARTICULAR are you calling a racist?
    Last edited by p69rrh51; November-28-12 at 06:58 PM.

I read both authors interesting but rehashing the same old shit I have known for years and not quite really getting to the real heart of the matter
    Hahahaha. You read those two books and thought it rehashed a bunch of stuff you already knew [[including Sugrue's groundbreaking, never before published research) and didn't get to the heart of the matter? Hahahahaha. That's rich, boy.

Also you do have your facts quite right. People started leaving the city the moment Henry Ford opened the Highland Park Plant in 1908 if I remember correctly.
    Maybe a poor choice of words there. You can trace the beginning of Detroit's population decline to the 1950s. I think you know exactly what I mean and are being a little pedantic there, frankly.

You still have not answered my question who in PARTICULAR are you calling a racist?
    I'm not calling anybody a racist except Frank Rizzo. He's your archetypal modern-day suburban white racist.

Hahahaha. You read those two books and thought it rehashed a bunch of stuff you already knew [[including Sugrue's groundbreaking, never before published research) and didn't get to the heart of the matter? Hahahahaha. That's rich, boy.

Maybe a poor choice of words there. You can trace the beginning of Detroit's population decline to the 1950s. I think you know exactly what I mean and are being a little pedantic there, frankly.

I'm not calling anybody a racist except Frank Rizzo. He's your archetypal modern-day suburban white racist.
    My goof on the book-you got me, but I have a feeling the author if they existed would be spouting the same drivel you are! But then you are rehashing the same old BS I heard in the urban planning classes I was taking when I was at WSU 30+ years ago, and by the way living in the burbs does not make one a racist! If it did you would have to consider yourself one too.

My goof on the book-you got me, but I have a feeling the author if they existed would be spouting the same drivel you are!
    It's not drivel. Really, you should consider cracking your mind open and thinking a little bit about our city and its history.

But then you are rehashing the same old BS I heard in the urban planning classes I was taking when I was at WSU 30+ years ago
    Oh, now I understand. It's not that you really have anything to offer as far as scholarship. You've had the facts about Detroit laid out for you before and you rejected them then. It must have conflicted with your ideology and so you said it was bullshit, closed your eyes and decided to never again examine the history of the city. Nice.

So, if you're not interested in examining the history of your city or studying the ins and outs of what happened, why are you so determined to talk about it? You're telling me you've rejected learning about the sociopolitical makeup of the city for more than 30 years [["bullshit") and now you want to educate somebody who has read widely on the subject while you haven't?

Admit it, man. You don't like the new scholarship on Detroit because it challenges your prejudices.

and by the way living in the burbs does not make one a racist! If it did you would have to consider yourself one too.
    Yeah, um, I challenge you to find where I said that you are racist if you are living in the suburbs.

JVB Guest

At least give us some percentages or something. You keep beating this "Frank Rizzo" concept to death, what does he represent? 10% of the suburbanites? 25%? 50%?