Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    We need a mayor that will just let the city hit rock bottom. Once the city hits rock bottom it can rebuild. Problem is we have mayor after mayor that try to slow up the falling, but only cause the city to fall faster. To mitigate that they lower the bottom so the city never hits that. As long as there is another level lower that Detroit can fall to, it will.

We just need to accept at this point Detroit is one big gigantic FAILURE. It's failed, it's done, there's no fixing it. This is a situation that needs to be started over from scratch. I have no hope that this city outside of a few neighborhoods will ever stablize or rebound in my lifetime.
    What's the bottom?

I'm thinking 300,000. Mostly in Downtown/Midtown.

All of the east side's too far gone, you can forget it.

SW Detroit and the non-historic neighborhoods of the west side probably aren't too far away from not being salvageable either.

At this point, what the city and state needs to do is amend the Hole Rule Cities Act and include a clause that would allow the citizens in certain parts of Detroit to vote on whether or not they would like to secede from Detroit.

After all, the city leaders have more or less admitted they can't service most of the remaining neighborhoods and won't. Why should I have to pay taxes to that city then?
    Last edited by 313WX; October-06-12 at 11:00 AM.