Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Thread: White Castle

Hybrid View

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Stosh - sounds like you and our youngest son paired together could give the owners of an all you can eat restaurant simultaneous heart attacks!
    It's not like I ate them all in under an hour. Slow but sure. and for 20 dollars in 1977 money, you bet I can do it. Young guys can EAT. My grandson can polish off the contents of the fridge or pantry quite handily. I'm always going "what happened to.." items I know were there an hour ago.

White Castle, they had the best kangaroo meat in town.

I was at White Castles yesterday. They are 70 cents each now. I remember when they were 15 cents each. Guess I'm dating myself.

I grew up near 8 Mile Rd and Gratiot, where a White Castle was located, across the street from a Top Hat restaurant. I liked White Castle better, but Top Hat would get the 'burger in your hands quicker. Top Hat grilled the onions a little more.
    One could purchase a hamburger and a soft drink for a quarter!

I've done the walk-in thing as well as deal with the drive-thru. Both are notoriously slow. Again, no explanation other than just move to one side and let the next person order. Again, I can't imagine the burgers themselves being that complicated to make. Surely the construction of a White Castle can't be any more difficult to make than say a Whopper or a Big Mac, is there? And yet getting a Burger King or McDonald's burger is light years faster. I'm even thinking less complicated places like Bray's, Greene's, TelWay, Hunter House and other slider places can crank their burgers out faster.

And yes as much as I kvetch about the speed, there really isn't anything else that will satisfy [[or hurt a few hours later) like a White Castle burger.

Chicken should not come as a "ring".

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    Chicken should not come as a "ring".
    I'm not a big fan of the chicken rings either.
    But the onions can and should come as a chip.
    With the dipping sauce, who's name escapes me now.
    By the sack, preferably.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    I grew up near 8 Mile Rd and Gratiot, where a White Castle was located, across the street from a Top Hat restaurant. I liked White Castle better, but Top Hat would get the 'burger in your hands quicker. Top Hat grilled the onions a little more.
    One could purchase a hamburger and a soft drink for a quarter!
    That was *our* White Castle, too. Service was always slow, but so worth the wait.

LodgeDodger Guest

I guess I can admit it here: I've never had the onion chips. I'm a fry-lover myself...

I've always had the onion chips, but never had the fries. Also, where I used to work, the guys would all chip in for a couple of crave cases for breakfast at 6:30 in the morning, once a week. My only complaint - they were cheeseburgers.

LodgeDodger Guest

I didn't eat onion rings until I met betterhalf. He's an onion ring junkie.

Onion rings are okay, but I like fries better. I guess it's what we're used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dog View Post
    I was at White Castles yesterday. They are 70 cents each now. I remember when they were 15 cents each. Guess I'm dating myself.
    You're kidding.......70 cents now?? I haven't bought any in 6 years, since moving to MO. My kids have brought some when visiting, but I had no idea how much they'd gone up. Gonna load up when we go home in May. And I remember when they were 10 cents, and when the price went up to 15 cents. I know I'm dating myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    My grandson can polish off the contents of the fridge or pantry quite handily. I'm always going "what happened to.." items I know were there an hour ago.
    Our grandson too! Since he's been old enough to walk - he's now 8 years old. He walks in the house and takes inventory of the fridge and the goodie drawer! And helps himself. It's all good!

And the onion chips are the best! Sometimes I think I just get the burgers to accompany the chips! Duh!!! Why do I do that? Nawwww - they just go together, that's a given I guess.

Bearinabox Guest

If White Castle sucks so much, why not try a locally-owned slider joint? There's one at Oakman and W. Chicago that's pretty good.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by eriedearie View Post
    Our grandson too! Since he's been old enough to walk - he's now 8 years old. He walks in the house and takes inventory of the fridge and the goodie drawer! And helps himself. It's all good!

And the onion chips are the best! Sometimes I think I just get the burgers to accompany the chips! Duh!!! Why do I do that? Nawwww - they just go together, that's a given I guess.
    Erie, you'll just have to wait another 8 years for the full effect of teenage boydom to manifest itself, grandson style. It's a whole different animal than having your own child into your stuff. Difference is time. Grandson knows that he'll have to go home soon, therefore it's all up for grabs, as soon as possible. Whirlwind.

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Erie, you'll just have to wait another 8 years for the full effect of teenage boydom to manifest itself, grandson style. It's a whole different animal than having your own child into your stuff. Difference is time. Grandson knows that he'll have to go home soon, therefore it's all up for grabs, as soon as possible. Whirlwind.
    LOL! I know Stosh!!! Grand kids are so darn special. Ours know they've got us wrapped! They look at you with those "eyes" - how can you say no, and really, really mean it, like you did with their parent? To save time, we just agree and get on with our day! They're spoiled rotten