Quote Originally Posted by Locke09 View Post
Government can borrow some good practices from business, but government is not business. Many a good businessman has found himself overwhelmed by the responsibilities of managing a sector of government.
I agree with the totality of your analysis. My point was more to counter the idea some of have implied that businesses exist to take advantage of their customers and employees in a never-ending quest to take more for themselves. That may be the plan for some businesses, but it is a short-sighted strategy at best.

One thing you say is that Government can borrow some good practices from businesss. When I [[and most people on this board, I would bet) say that government needs to be run like a business, I believe that the words you used are a better way to articulate that meaning.

Detroit doesn't need to be run like a business for profit. But it absolutely needs to take the best practices from business and apply them. It's literally like we are still using out-dated practices from 1955 and wondering why our services suck.

Lastly, yes, many a good businessman will be overwhelmed in government because of the bottom-up nature of government operations. I'd love to see how well any businessman does if all of his or her decisions are subject to a majority vote of its employees and customers.