Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
No. DPD sued for the DDOT Transit Police contract back in [[I think) 2009, and won. In theory, DPD officers should be randomly patrolling the buses now, but it's pretty rare for them to actually do so. I don't actually remember the WCS officers patrolling the buses for extended periods of time [[when I used to see them they usually got on, rode a couple stops, recorded the bus number, and got off again), but they did respond very promptly when drivers called them for help.
Thanks for the answer antongast. The Detroit News had a little more on this in today's paper:

Friday's walkout is the second in recent years. In May 2007, DDOT drivers shut down the system for a day because of concerns about safety. Later that year, City Council approved a hotly contested plan to have undercover Wayne County Sheriffs' deputies ride the city's buses, using a three-year, $11.7 million federal grant. However, the Detroit Police Officers Association fought the plan, claiming its officers should patrol the city's buses. An arbitrator ruled for the DPOA in 2009, and Detroit officers took over the patrol duties, although the grant has since expired.