Here's an example of this kind of statement.

Quote Originally Posted by brainwizzard View Post
I just feel that trying to make blanket statements that everybody from any given area *insert negative statement here*, is irresponsible, and has nothing positive to offer. From my experience, the UP for the most part is very welcoming to outsiders. I know that there are always examples to the opposite, but the far majority of people are absolutly nothing like what is being implied. As far as bigotry goes, it feels as if there is far more going on in the detroit area than in the UP. So in other words, maybe we should work on our own problems, before bashing others for them.
I love how the barely couched racism displayed in the original post of this thread is A-OK, but my choice not to expose myself to people like the original poster is not only not OK, but I have to stay home and work on all of Detroit's problems so that I can then visit the UP with a clear conscience. Because we are the world, and everything's A-OK. Wow.

And how often do places like the UP hear about their issues and problems, vs. how often Detroiters have to hear about how f---ed up we are?

The two situations are not equivalent.