Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I'll have more comments on this later, but here at the top of the thread, this is the information about the public comment meetings and other ways to make your voice heard about these cuts. Unlike in past DDOT service changes, where cuts were made, but some services were improved, there are no improvements in service on any routes this time around. Make your voice heard if you use or support the only public transit option in the city!!

DDOT encourages the public to attend any one of seven [[7) public hearings that have been scheduled for customer awareness and input. Morning and/or evening hearings will be held at each of the locations listed below.

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 [[two hearings)

Considine Little Rock Family Life Center
    8904 Woodward Ave, Detroit
    Morning Hearing: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
    Evening Hearing: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011 [[two hearings)

Wayne County Community College District - Conner at I-94
    5901 Conner St., Detroit
    Evening Hearing: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Thursday, May 12, 2011 [[one hearing)

Roberta Clemente Recreation Center
    2631 Bagley, Detroit
    Evening Hearing: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

Friday, May 13, 2011 [[two hearings)

Northwest Activity Center
    18100 Meyers Rd., Detroit
    Evening Hearing: 6 p.m. – 8 p.m.

Public comments will also be accepted in writing, by mail and electronically beginning Wednesday, April 27, 2011 through Wednesday, May 18, 2011.

All public comments [[verbal and written) are properly analyzed and taken into

consideration, as final decisions are made on the changes.

A follow-up meeting has been scheduled to present the June 25, 2011 service changes identified for implementation.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 [[one meeting)

Considine Little Rock Family Life Center
    8904 Woodward Ave, Detroit
    Evening Meeting: 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.

DDOT looks forward to hearing from our customers. Comments may be mailed to:

Detroit Department of Transportation

Attention: Strategic Planning/Scheduling Division
    1301 E. Warren
    Detroit, MI 48207

Comments may be emailed to:
    ddotcomments@detroitmi.gov

While this certainly sucks, I don't understand why D-DOT doesn't consider raising fares before slashing even further.

Most transit agencies nowadays charge somewhere in the $2-$3 range for one-way fares. D-DOT is charging half that.

Yes, it would impact those who have no other choice, but slashing service to the bone isn't exactly doing them any favors.

Goodness these changes are drastic indeed! A fare increase would be better. I feel for those who rely on the busses to get to work. I've been in that position... which is why I am holding on to my car for dear life. I don't want to be back on any form of bus at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    While this certainly sucks, I don't understand why D-DOT doesn't consider raising fares before slashing even further.

Most transit agencies nowadays charge somewhere in the $2-$3 range for one-way fares. D-DOT is charging half that.

Yes, it would impact those who have no other choice, but slashing service to the bone isn't exactly doing them any favors.

Very drastic cuts indeed. My fellow transit advocates were able to convince City Council not to allow any sort of fare increase a couple of months ago, and now that is coming home to roost.

The fact of the matter is the City is broke. It is a shame that cuts of this magnitude are necessary, but the City is broke, and if it can't get more money into the bus system by raising fares, you get what you see here.

You can't have it both ways. Either fares have to go up, or service has to be cut, or, quite frankly, both. Detroit should raise its fare, privatize collections [[to reduce theft among other things), and make more modest service adjustments. But it won't.