Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I am a boomer and a DPS graduate, it's true back in the day we almost never had a snow day. However there were far more local schools. Teachers had a residency requirement also. We all lived close to our destination.

Given the school closures, distances traveled, kids taking buses etc. I certainly believe the schools should have closed.

Detroit teacher almost broke my heart with the lack of gloves for the few students that arrived.

Was a little surprised too at the comment that us boomers should just pass away so what we worked for, wouldn't be a burden for this younger generation. Remember thinking our taxes were too high but shrugged, because we were paying into a system that supported our aging parents. In defensive of my generation, we respected our elders.
    Thank you, Sumas. I agree with your explanation about the ways things were. Even when I went to Bates in the 1980s, the expectation was that you could walk to your neighborhood school and be bused in. It was only later that busing was eliminated.

But about the Boomers respecting elders -- I agree that they did when they were young in the 1950s, but the 1960s and early 1970s consisted of a decade of defying one's elders. Rarely has a generation come of age so thoroughly repudiating the values of dear old Mom and Dad.

Hmmm have to think about that English. No doubt I was a part of the "hippie" generation. Rules and regs meant little to me, still don't for that matter. Defy government that seems stupid, etc. but as a sixties/seventies kid I can't hold my seniors in more regard. Am a caretaker for my Mom who will be 91 shortly, Altzheimers is a terrible disease. Still treat her with all consideration. My parents were not perfect but they were fabulous parents. I know of so many people my age doing the same.

Kind of cute story, my Mom was a Depression child, her folks were pretty poor but her Dad would pick her up from school in bad weather but his old car was pretty shabby. She was always embarassed because the car was a relic even then. My Dad and Mom attended the same school but didn't know each other. My Dad remembered that car but not her.

FoxyScholar10 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Hmmm have to think about that English. No doubt I was a part of the "hippie" generation. Rules and regs meant little to me, still don't for that matter. Defy government that seems stupid, etc. but as a sixties/seventies kid I can't hold my seniors in more regard. Am a caretaker for my Mom who will be 91 shortly, Altzheimers is a terrible disease. Still treat her with all consideration. My parents were not perfect but they were fabulous parents. I know of so many people my age doing the same.

Kind of cute story, my Mom was a Depression child, her folks were pretty poor but her Dad would pick her up from school in bad weather but his old car was pretty shabby. She was always embarassed because the car was a relic even then. My Dad and Mom attended the same school but didn't know each other. My Dad remembered that car but not her.
    No disrespect, but could your grandparents have been THAT poor if they had a car during the Depression?

I always say the definition of poor/poverty is subjective.

I'm a Gen-Xer. I have high respect for my Baby Booming parents. They made plenty of sacrifices so I could have choices. Right now I'm sacrificing for my doctoral education. My parents have been very helpful. My parents, esp. my mom, was very proud to make it to the age to receive Social Security, esp. since so many folks didn't live long enough to pull what they paid into the system. I do "tease" her occasionally when I tell her that I, this Gen-Xer, is paying her Social Security. She doesn't like it when I say that! LOL!

Indeed, there's more distance to travel. And in the case of the DPS Career & Technical schools where some of the high schools kids go half of the day [[Breithaupt, Randolph, Golightly, and Crockett) from their home schools, this is accomplished by them being bussed to those Career Tech. schools. I hear it was a real bust [[lack of attendance) yesterday with the weather... Long story short, less kids are 'walking' anywhere in today's climate [[pardon the pun).
    Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Thank you, Sumas. I agree with your explanation about the ways things were. Even when I went to Bates in the 1980s, the expectation was that you could walk to your neighborhood school and be bused in. It was only later that busing was eliminated.

But about the Boomers respecting elders -- I agree that they did when they were young in the 1950s, but the 1960s and early 1970s consisted of a decade of defying one's elders. Rarely has a generation come of age so thoroughly repudiating the values of dear old Mom and Dad.
    Last edited by Zacha341; December-14-10 at 04:34 AM.