Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

The system must change, there is no doubt about it. But in the interim, the fares should increase to avoid the drastic level of cuts proposed here. I would recommend a graduated increase in the base fare to increase from $1.50 to $1.75, and after 6 months, then $2.00. In my mind, two dollar bills are much easier to carry around than quarters for an exact fare. Fares should also increase slightly for students, seniors, the disabled, and other groups which receive discounts. Interline transfers should be standardized. Presently, either between DDOT and SMART or SMART and DDOT, a transfer is 50 cents instead of 25. I think all transfers should be standardized at one rate or the other, whether to the same line or interline.

Likewise, I would advocate for a moderate increase in the DDOT monthly pass and the DDOT/SMART Regional pass. Currently, the DDOT monthly pass is $47, and the Regional pass $49.50. The month-long pass for the Boston T for unlimited rides for all subway and streetcar lines is currently $59. I would advocate that the DDOT monthly pass increase to $55, and the Regional pass increase to $59. This is not near the $70 proposed rate and could increase in graduated increments, as well. Yes, it's a $10 increase for the Regional Pass. But if that means DDOT won't scale back to the effect they are proposing, then I'd pay the extra amount. A 5-day pass is $14 and a week-long pass is $14.40. I would leave the 5-day pass where it is, and increase the week-long pass to $16. I would also create a 24-hour unlimited rides pass for something like $5-8 or so.

Does DDOT currently short-turn any buses on bus lines like Woodward? Would it make sense to short turn some buses say, at McNichols [[as the DSR streetcars did) so as to provide more round-trips [[and therefore shorter headways) to the prime Woodward part of the corridor through Highland Park, New Center, Midtown, and downtown. I know this wouldn't work for all routes, but it would help increase service while not increasing the number of drivers or coaches in service. Just another thought.

I spent this past weekend in Boston riding the T and its a fantastic system. Can't say enough good things about my experiences on it. I can only hope that one day, Detroit transit will be something remotely similar to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    I spent this past weekend in Boston riding the T and its a fantastic system. Can't say enough good things about my experiences on it. I can only hope that one day, Detroit transit will be something remotely similar to it.
    I enjoy Boston myself. The people of metropolitan Boston spend three times as much per person in local support of their transit system than do we in metropolitan Detroit. That is why their transit system works, and ours fundamentally never will.

Until and unless we are willing to pay for public transit, we will never have a working system that people can actually use; and until we provide that basic urban service which every other big city provides, we will never be successful as a region.