Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I am going to print out your suggestions, Rocko, and present them at one of the public meetings. These bus cuts are drastic. Too drastic. Weekend service is already abysmal. When I lived in Warrendale, I often took the "Tireman" bus to downtown to go to work. I think that raising fares is the best way to go, and a gradual increase is a great idea.

Masterblaster and others:

If you think my ideas are good, please do go and present them, send letters, emails, etc. I live in Connecticut now. I'm going to write a letter or two of my own, and by coincidence, I'll be in the Detroit area when the public input meetings are taking place. But I'm not sure I can go to one of the meetings. Naturally, in my opinion my ideas are good. I've been to enough other large cities to see how good transit can work. There's no reason our fares should be less than other cities, and consequentially, we need to CUT service in this time of serious economic hardship. Gradual increases take some of the "bite" out of the increase and help people be able to budget better. Detroit NEEDS transit, but cutting bus service is not the way to get us there. Or anywhere. Especially on a Sunday.

Please get the word out!

The city should change the charter so that money profitted by DDOT will go back into DDOT just like DPL operates. DDOT ridership is high in Detroit meaning the revenue generated is high. Instead of the money profited by DDOT going into the city's general fund let the money go back into the system which would take care of repairs, wages for the drivers, mechanics, and supervisors. Wait time could decrease and more busses could be put on the routes instead of cutting busses of routes. Encourage riding DDOT for an increase in ridership. Money through ridership could also fund security for the busses. On routes that is not heavily ridden or at night time the mini busses could be used instead of discontinuing busses all together at night. A 24hr bus pass could be introduce also for $7.00 or so. Riders could jump on and off the bus as many times needed withing the 24hr period. This will work doing this gas and financial crisis the city is facing. Many residents had given up driving their cars due to high insurance, gas prices and being employement or cut back in wages on their jobs