Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

^ how to show people how ignorant you are without telling them.

You could have spent the same amount of time actually researching.

The gang branched out into the union enforcement business in the professional laundry dispute known as the Cleaners and Dyers War. People were beaten and killed, and bombs were exploded to enforce union rules. The coffers of the gang swelled.

https://thecrimewire.com/institution...ts-Purple-Gang

[QUOTE=Richard;641222]The coffers of the gang swelled./QUOTE]

I see how you could mistake the Wholesale Cleaners and Dyers Association for a labor union. But it was a cartel. Cartel business owners paid dues to the Purple Gang, and cleaners who tried to remain independent were beaten, murdered, bombed, put out of business, etc. It wasn't a labor union AFAIK.

If I'm wrong, you can suck my Richard.

PS. Harry Rosman [1891–1958] was president and owner of Famous Cleaners & Dyers in Detroit, Michigan. He gained public notoriety for being the key witness testifying against the Purple Gang in a trial that lasted from 1928 to 1929. The prosecution alleged extortion activities against Detroit area businesses during the sometime violent showdown known as the Cleaners & Dyers Wars. Rosman testified that the Purple Gang asked for $1000 per week from his and other area cleaners & dyers' businesses for their "protection" against violence.
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; March-26-24 at 10:23 AM.

[QUOTE=Henry Whalley;641226]
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The coffers of the gang swelled./QUOTE]

I see how you could mistake the Wholesale Cleaners and Dyers Association for a labor union. But it was a cartel. Cartel business owners paid dues to the Purple Gang, and cleaners who tried to remain independent were beaten, murdered, bombed, put out of business, etc. It wasn't a labor union AFAIK.

If I'm wrong, you can suck my Richard.

PS. Harry Rosman [1891–1958] was president and owner of Famous Cleaners & Dyers in Detroit, Michigan. He gained public notoriety for being the key witness testifying against the Purple Gang in a trial that lasted from 1928 to 1929. The prosecution alleged extortion activities against Detroit area businesses during the sometime violent showdown known as the Cleaners & Dyers Wars. Rosman testified that the Purple Gang asked for $1000 per week from his and other area cleaners & dyers' businesses for their "protection" against violence.
    In the 1920s, the Purple Gang was known for their instigation of the “Cleaners and Dyers War,” a dispute between the cleaning industry and its union. The Wholesale Cleaners and Dyers Association was formed by Abe Burnstein and the Detroit Federation of Labor. Membership was coerced by Purple Gang members, who often used violent means of persuasion. In 1928, 13 members of the Purple Gang were tried for extortion for their role in the war, but all were acquitted.

https://detroithistorical.org/learn/...%20of%20Labor.

what part are you confused on where I posted join the Union or die ?

It clearly reads cleaning industry and it’s Union.

You gunna ask DHS to clarify it for you ?

As for the other part,maybe you can get Fain to help you with that sense you seem to have a man crush on him.
    Last edited by Richard; March-26-24 at 11:07 AM.

[QUOTE=Richard;641230]
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Whalley View Post
    Purple Gang members, who often used violent means of persuasion.
    In the trial 1928-29, the prosecution characterized the WCDA as a “price-fixing consortium” wherein each business paid $1,000 dues per month to the Purple Gang. The fees weren't union dues collected from workers. IIRC under Dave Beck, the Teamsters also ran some dry-cleaning extortion rackets that resulted in one union thug being burned to a crisp in a bombing gone wrong.

P.S. Sadly, you lack basic reading comprehension skills, and the Detroit Historical Society could use some writing lessons.

P.P.S. The U.S. Justice Department did this country a great service by cleaning-up the Teamsters and UAW. I prefer clean unions that represent labor interests.

Dry Times: Looking Back 100 Years After Prohibition - Hour Detroit Magazine
    Last edited by Henry Whalley; March-26-24 at 12:17 PM.