Detroit River Fishing

The Great Detroit Flood of 2014 resulted from the second largest downpour in Detroit history. It closed several expressways and poured into thousands of Metro Detroit basements. The 4.72 inches of rain was the highest daily recorded rainfall since July 31, 1925, when 4.74 inches of rain fell. What went wrong? Could it have been prevented?

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default Recently released FBI Documents in regard to The Purple Gang

Hi all

found a great website, wilth some old Purple Gang documents

http://vault.fbi.gov/Purple%20Gang%2...ouse%20Gang%29

I am lame so you will probably have to copy and paste the link

Fascinating! These are really cool old articles

I hear they made a great rhythm section.

Pretty funny, Jimbo.

Thanks for sharing DRG!

Interesting to see some addresses which were either homes of members, or places where shit went down back then. Here's one where an alleged Purple Gang member lived for a while: 20244 Keating St.

http://maps.google.com/maps?oe=utf-8...ed=0CBgQ8gEwAA

Just curious. As these were real gangsters back in the day why do so many in Detroit then hate the playas and gangsta's of today?

I read through the documents, I just wish that the redacted portions were made available. It would be so much more informative, IMHO.

Using that FBI vault website, it was also interesting to read all the other stuff on there. They have files on Carl Sandburg, John Lennon, etc. As well as documents from the McCarthy era.

A search for "Detroit" reveals a ton of investigations into Malcom X, as well as hundreds of other people and events.

I am glad guys liked it It is my new favorite website, at least this week ha ha. They have some "unexplained phenomena" that is also cool to read (UFO's, ESP experiments)

j to the jeremy, I am glad its not just me who looks at the old addresses... I was quite amazed that almost all of the available addresses I found in the documents were still viable residences. I bet some of those houses have hidden surprises.

My great grandparents rented a house on 12th street in the 40's. Shortly after they moved in my great grandfather realized that the basement just didnt look right, so he started snooping and found a false wall.. behind that wall was a room that had old bottles and pallets and stuff, just as he was about to close it back up, the doorbell rang upstairs and that tripped a bell in that room too. From this evidence we figure that basement was a holding area for booze and or other things during the prohibition era