Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Utrecht building? Can somebody explain that Dutch connection??

Are they going to tear this red building down? I've seen worse looking buildings....
    http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?or...t35c76w9szw3kk
    Utrecht is a chain of art supply stores, and there used to be one in that building. According to Wikipedia, it's named after a street in New York, which, of course, was once New Amsterdam. There's your Dutch connection.

Utrechts is a chain store of art supplies found in many large US cities. It is not named after the dutch city, but the street of which the first store operated in New York. I used to buy supplies in the old building back in college. Haven't seen their new location yet.

A pic of the new Utrecht storefront is here:

http://www.utrechtart.com/stores/dsp...fm?storeID=101

Thanks for those photos DetroitZack. Did we ever confirm if all three of those buildings are coming down? The middle one [[which is being demoed) is fine, no real loss there, the one on the corner is good for maintaining a close setback and doesn't look too bad, but it's the southernmost one that I hope is not going to be torn down. Those arched windows are really something and won't be replicated.

If they mess with the Goodrich Building, I'll be one pissed off WSU grad. I can't imagine they'd be stupid enough to 86 that beauty, could they? Maybe if they had an architecture dept., they'd be a little more preservation-savvy?

Anyway, here's what was on that block in 1928-29:

They wanna build a hotel? No wonder my tution went up!

Yeah Detroit needs another hotel like a hole in the head. Plus as it has been mentioned before, that area closes down after 5:00 PM and weekends in terms of restaurants and stuff...
    Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    They wanna build a hotel? No wonder my tution went up!

Are they going to tear this red building down? I've seen worse looking buildings....
    http://www.bing.com/maps/explore/?or...t35c76w9szw3kk
    I haven't driven past the corner of Woodward and Warren in a long time. I remember when Roscoe's was on the northwest corner where the Welcome Center is now located. Only proves nothing last forever.

My history in that area goes back decades, I recall then the art store was called Favor Ruhl! Imagine that... circa 1980! And let's not forget the Tandy leather company that was next to the Radio Shack. Or maybe the Radio Shack replaced Tandy. This was in the mid, late seventies.......
    Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    I haven't driven past the corner of Woodward and Warren in a long time. I remember when Roscoe's was on the northwest corner where the Welcome Center is now located. Only proves nothing last forever.

What a pathetic waste. Nice job, wayne.

EastSider Guest

I've held off commenting on this thread, hoping I could dredge the details about this project from my memory, but the details aren't cooperating.

But I remember reading a thread either here or on the forum across town about this project, and what I remember reading is not something to get all "hand-wringy" about.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko View Post
    Thanks for those photos DetroitZack. Did we ever confirm if all three of those buildings are coming down? The middle one [[which is being demoed) is fine, no real loss there, the one on the corner is good for maintaining a close setback and doesn't look too bad, but it's the southernmost one that I hope is not going to be torn down. Those arched windows are really something and won't be replicated.
    No, that was never confirmed. But I really doubt all 3 are coming down. If they are then the middle building is an odd place to start.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Goodbye Potato Place. Good luck, Marwil. Hope your new space works out Utrecht. The university has spoken.
    Minus Utrecht, I don't think those businesses are going anywhere, It was just the buildings on Woodward, no? This plan has been going on relatively quietly for years. Thank God that WSU did a masterplan and has taken the lead roll in development. The area has so much more potential and has already transformed dramatically. Hopefully, the small businesses can be fostered both existing and new.
    Last edited by lo_to_d; July-04-10 at 12:25 PM.

From my friend who does WSU PR:
    "Current plans are for a green space/ campus park area. I heard that they would like for the whole plot of land along Warren from Woodward all the way to Cass to be a sort of 'front yard' for Old Main."

Green space is always nice, but so is urban fabric. :/

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    "Current plans are for a green space/ campus park area. I heard that they would like for the whole plot of land along Warren from Woodward all the way to Cass to be a sort of 'front yard' for Old Main."
    No no no no no.

As much as I really believe that isn't going to happen, it's still a scary thought. I live a block from the campus, and walking down Anthony Wayne Drive, Second, and Cass can be miserable on a summer day.

It's safe to say that whatever Wayne builds will not be urban. The whole area is as pedestrian friendly as it will ever get. Not much of an accomplishment. Don't get me wrong, I've got everything I need within a short bike's ride, but I could barely walk to the Hub and back today without nearly passing out from the heat.

Trees, buildings that meet the sidewalk, and narrow streets make it inviting to walk. WSU's campus is too suburban.

Yep, that's a terrible idea. There are other areas in Midtown that can be [[and are being) converted into green space. I'd rather see more businesses on that corner. Right now, we've got the Welcome Center [[NW), a parking garage [[NE), the Cathedral [[SE). Further retail would be nice, and the area could support it.

And -- again -- Utrecht just moved a couple of blocks down. It has not gone out of business.

Goodbye Detroit. I think this may be the last straw.

This makes me sooooooo angry

Eh, uh HUM! THE GOODRICH BUILDING??? You know, tires? I know they don't have a School of Architecture at WSU, but I KNOW they have a History Department.

buildingsofdetroit: Since you know someone at the PR dept., can you suggest a contact to write/call to complain? I'm with casscorridor, I'm absolutely furious! If they indeed plan to destroy architecturally and historically significant buildings, this cannot go unchallenged!

That red brick building on the south corner is not coming down, it has WSU publishing inside.

Quote Originally Posted by j to the jeremy View Post
    That red brick building on the south corner is not coming down, it has WSU publishing inside.
    WSU Publishing could move into a steel and glass crackerbox a heartbeat. That's not too comforting. The fact that this is a Albert Kahn structure is more of a relief, as his work has considerably more support for preservation than most architects. This photo was from the 1918 AIA Architectural Record, so that building is at least that old.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; July-05-10 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more info

bump this thread up

It look as thought they plan on saving the facade of the building, at least the first floor facade. That's alright with me, I kinda like the plain arches.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans57 View Post
    It look as thought they plan on saving the facade of the building, at least the first floor facade. That's alright with me, I kinda like the plain arches.
    Uh, no thanks. This block will be a lot stronger without the middle building. I am sure Wayne has a smart plan in mind.

If they were saving anything of the middle building, it should have been what's behind that metal cladding. Looks like it was a pretty nice structure at one time. Not sure about the Utrechts building though. That one seems to hide alot

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast