Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 30 of 198 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 80 130 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Great. Ours were likely bundled and taken over to the blacktop.
    Hopefully, you used enough twine and tied the papers tight enough so as not to scatter all over the place. Those poor volunteers, as I recall, had enough mess to take care of.

I have many find memories of Lum's as well. They sponsored my brother's softball team in the 70's, and it was the preferred post game watering hole.

I believe there was a Kroger and Sears on the southeast corner of Moross and Mack. Both were taken down when they did the "city beautification" there in the late 80's I believe. Blazo's was great - I remember inside the restaurant they had this tall kind of tree/decoration I thought was amazing back then.

Scripts filled here
    Last edited by zitro; March-24-10 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Scripts filled here
    Carried many cartons of milk home from Merits over the years. Felt like I was lugging the whole cow by the time I got home.

Quote Originally Posted by 12468_laing View Post
    I believe there was a Kroger and Sears on the southeast corner of Moross and Mack. Both were taken down when they did the "city beautification" there in the late 80's I believe. Blazo's was great - I remember inside the restaurant they had this tall kind of tree/decoration I thought was amazing back then.
    There was indeed a Sears [[houseware/hardware only) with Hughes, Hatcher, Suffrin next door. There was a covered walk from the Sear's garden center to Hughes, Hatcher. Kroger was on the other side of Hughes/Hatcher. That Sears was the place to check out tools and hunting/fishing equipment. The seemingly endless array of shotguns and rifles was always intriguing to a young lad.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    There was indeed a Sears [[houseware/hardware only) with Hughes, Hatcher, Suffrin next door. There was a covered walk from the Sear's garden center to Hughes, Hatcher. Kroger was on the other side of Hughes/Hatcher. That Sears was the place to check out tools and hunting/fishing equipment. The seemingly endless array of shotguns and rifles was always intriguing to a young lad.
    When Sears says their Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life, they mean it. I once found a Craftsman screwdriver which was either run over or used as a pry bar, but I took it in anyway, and they gave me a brand new one ... no questions asked.

Hope they don't go down the crapper like Monkey Wards. I would have thought their parts business could have survived as a separate entity.

When Sears says their Craftsman tools are guaranteed for life, they mean it. I once found a Craftsman screwdriver which was either run over or used as a pry bar, but I took it in anyway, and they gave me a brand new one ... no questions asked.
    Hope they don't go down the crapper like Monkey Wards. I would have thought their parts business could have survived as a separate entity.
    I'm on my 3rd Craftsman snow shovel [[1st one a loose rivet, 2nd one a hair line crack in the handle)......both replaced with no questions asked. They do stand behind their guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    I'm on my 3rd Craftsman snow shovel [[1st one a loose rivet, 2nd one a hair line crack in the handle)......both replaced with no questions asked. They do stand behind their guarantee.
    I wonder what would happen if I tried to return a snow shovel to the local Sears?

we used to go to Ross Drugs on Morang and Whitehill, back when Angelo Franco owned it. Used to go to Merit Drugs to check out our TV tubes - remember those? Also got my first National Lampoon there.

Blazo's was a favorite of my family too. They had great pies. What took over the Blazo's locations? Did Big Boy buy them out?
    My sister worked at a Cunningham's at 7 and Mack and my brother met his ex-wife when they both worked at the A&P on 7 at Mack. I think it's under the east wing of St. John's now.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Blazo's was a favorite of my family too. They had great pies. What took over the Blazo's locations? Did Big Boy buy them out?
    My sister worked at a Cunningham's at 7 and Mack and my brother met his ex-wife when they both worked at the A&P on 7 at Mack. I think it's under the east wing of St. John's now.
    I remember the Cunningham's on 7 and Mack. No National Lampoon for me but I remember browsing their book display and once finding one called "Lecherous Limericks" - what it lacked in illustrations it made up for in verbiage....hee hee...[[ever hear the one about the young couple named Kelly who honeymooned belly to belly....?) Wow what I was able to memorize in the time it took Grandma to finish shopping.....

I forgot those pies - used to eat either breakfast or lunch there. Wasn't there a record store over there? Was it Peaches?

I just did a web search for Blazo's and a Blazo's Pie Shop comes up in Livonia. I wonder if it's the same owners?

I just did a web search for Blazo's and a Blazo's Pie Shop comes up in Livonia. I wonder if it's the same owners?

Between Blazo's pies and reading about all the Polish food on the No Reservations thread I'm dying here. It's a Communist plot.

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    Between Blazo's pies and reading about all the Polish food on the No Reservations thread I'm dying here. It's a Communist plot.
    No plot here ... other than, as EMG suggests, the one you'd be in if you were here and eating some of the afformented food every day.

Speaking of which, we ate at Polonia's Polish Restaurant in Hamtranck yesterday. It was either there, or Polish Village Cafe across the parking lot ... next time!

Also, I was surprised to see what looks like an original Clock Restaurant on Jos Campeau open for business. Thought those were long gone.

Speaking of which, we ate at Polonia's Polish Restaurant in Hamtranck yesterday. It was either there, or Polish Village Cafe across the parking lot ... next time!.
    I've eaten at Polonia's - and other Polish restaurants - but honestly I have NEVER had a meal at a Polish restaurant that I've been happy with.

[[But let me explain. No bias against Polish cooking - I just grew up eating the home cooking of my Polish grandmother, and compared to her dishes there was absolutely nothing in any Polish restaurant anywhere that could ever even come close to measuring up).

Here's my last Lums glass from a set of four. Barely can read the Lums
    Last edited by zitro; March-24-10 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    I've eaten at Polonia's - and other Polish restaurants - but honestly I have NEVER had a meal at a Polish restaurant that I've been happy with.

[[But let me explain. No bias against Polish cooking - I just grew up eating the home cooking of my Polish grandmother, and compared to her dishes there was absolutely nothing in any Polish restaurant anywhere that could ever even come close to measuring up).
    No one can beat grandma's Polish cooking. Polonia's comes close. IMHO, It's the best in the area and the wait staff is tops too....I'm sure you and 7K can vouch for that.

Not a communist plot. Just a plot to make you want to visit your old hometown

As long as it wasn't your jockey's, I guess it doesn't matter.

As long as it wasn't your jockey's, I guess it doesn't matter.
    Um, er, well...now you know why I got rid of my WebCam...

Please check out the new video JC put together on the St. Jude FB page. It is a collection of songs by the choir from the early 60's. Great job JC!!

You're all very welcome. I think the royalty waivers got lost in the mail. Yeah, that's it; lost in the mail.

KR, I have no idea. I'm just the film editor.
    My dad was still in the choir then, but he didn't go to Colorado that I recall.
    Last edited by jcole; July-31-09 at 07:37 AM.

Page 30 of 198 FirstFirst ... 20 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 40 80 130 ... LastLast