Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Gannon, he did mention lots for sale and/or 3 yr rents for vacant lots. My area still has plenty of density but my block is kindly refered to by LEAP as spacious residential. Our block club desparately wants to buy the many lots that are vacant. Always a glitch here and there. We need one house removed that has been on the demolitian list for years. The adjacent neighbor could buy each lot in turn as adjacent. She wants to put in solar panels to feed the energy needs for our block in part of it. Its do able but need that one house gone.

I caught that, it was happening as I was typing my post, hence the edit-on-the-fly about mentioning the term twice. Wasn't enough of a highlight on the good these groups have already done around the city. Plus, it was merely under the guise of being 'agreed upon' by the neighborhood...as if anyone should have to ask permission to grow food on empty lots.

If they have been abandoned and allowed to grow over...there should be no need for permission. From anyone.

As for getting that 'one house gone'...shame you cannot put in an order to that serial arsonist who is conveniently doing the clearing for the Hantz group...

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    We just got a week of great press on the Robertson story including him being named ABC network Person of the Week. What more do you want!
    Apparently Duggan's people tried to get our local hero to the speech, but he didn't want to take a day off work for such trivia. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I caught that, it was happening as I was typing my post, hence the edit-on-the-fly about mentioning the term twice. Wasn't enough of a highlight on the good these groups have already done around the city. Plus, it was merely under the guise of being 'agreed upon' by the neighborhood...as if anyone should have to ask permission to grow food on empty lots.

If they have been abandoned and allowed to grow over...there should be no need for permission. From anyone.

As for getting that 'one house gone'...shame you cannot put in an order to that serial arsonist who is conveniently doing the clearing for the Hantz group...
    Only someone who knows the city well would find the "Hantz group" comment funny. Maybe he could plant us some trees too. We count the fire truck runs daily, guess where they are going. Sort of an inside joke.

I was at the reception last night at Motor City Java House. The energy was positive. There were a few protesters out there; some for the water shutoffs and some for the foreclosures. One small group was out there protesting Mayor Duggan's election. One woman tried to convince me that there were two different ballots out there and that the whole thing was rigged. I would have liked to have seen the mayor or city council show up to the after party next door, but only James Tate showed up and that's because its his district.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I was at the reception last night at Motor City Java House. The energy was positive. There were a few protesters out there; some for the water shutoffs and some for the foreclosures. One small group was out there protesting Mayor Duggan's election. One woman tried to convince me that there were two different ballots out there and that the whole thing was rigged. I would have liked to have seen the mayor or city council show up to the after party next door, but only James Tate showed up and that's because its his district.
    "Rigged election" = "we lost and don't like it".

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Apparently Duggan's people tried to get our local hero to the speech, but he didn't want to take a day off work for such trivia. Go figure.
    Really....to tell everyone about the great public transportation system that allowed him to walk to work.....

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    "Rigged election" = "we lost and don't like it".
    No doubt, although I thought it was rigged far before he won, LOL! Every news article should be prefaced by the disclaimer "historic write-in landslide phenom" before they first use the term Mayor.

But the guy has made motion on his promises, seen and taken advantage of opportunities which seem to have unlimited positive potential to turn around [[at least some of) the neighborhoods...and gained some team members who believe in him.

One year down, and there are only a handful of protestors left. More than a few people talking about momentum, and most of them agree it is positive.

I wish he'd have spent as much time talking about those displaced by current real estate developments as much as he boasted about future percentages of affordable housing. There is a huge gap which will not be cured for a long while...too many people falling into it, and those mostly our senior citizens who don't adapt to new digs easily.

I also think he could take a more progressive view on urban gardens and helping local businesses continue against the force of change...rising rents and new landlords and demographics unlike that which the past couple generations have known.

There is a ton of energy expended on encouraging the new things and the big corporate plans...when those who've survived through the toughest times need some, too.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; February-11-15 at 10:08 AM.

He is getting things done, the street lights being the most visible.

Blight removal is moving at 200 a week, or 10,000 a year meaning we're 4-5 years away from getting it done.

Yet on my drive-arounds it seems barely visible with the abandoned houses greatly outnumbering the recently cleared lots.

And that's his challenge.

While things are getting done, there is still the perception that little has changed for a lot of people.

In a followup to his speech a TV reporters interviewed some 20-somethings where they had watch-with. All of them had the opinion that nothing had changed from them.

So cheerleading is exactly what he needs to do and he is doing it well. To have any success in politics one must built consensus with the electorate, get the into and behind the policy you are pushing.

Hang in there we're getting to you is his cheer.

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

Blight removal is moving at 200 a week, or 10,000 a year meaning we're 4-5 years away from getting it done.

Yet on my drive-arounds it seems barely visible with the abandoned houses greatly outnumbering the recently cleared lots.

While things are getting done, there is still the perception that little has changed for a lot of people.

In a followup to his speech a TV reporters interviewed some 20-somethings where they had watch-with. All of them had the opinion that nothing had changed from them.

So cheerleading is exactly what he needs to do and he is doing it well. To have any success in politics one must built consensus with the electorate, get the into and behind the policy you are pushing.

Lowell,
    Remember during the speech he said they tried to do more than 200 houses a week but there aren't companies with enough trucks in the region to haul debris away and fill in the holes from the basements. He mentioned this earlier in the year as well. I like that he said another mayor from an east coast city asked him how Detroit was doing so many houses when they struggled to do 200 in one year.

There has been a lot done in the last year even though Mayor Mike didn't really have control of the city for that year. I think it is really important to remind everyone the city has been in decline since the 1970s. That is about 55 years worth of problems to correct and he started from the bottom.

If it takes the city 5 to 10 years to recover, it would be a great turnaround story. I am most encouraged though that he is instilling a sense of HOPE in the people in the city. Fighting apathy is a lot more difficult than blight, crime or other problems. If people are encouraged by the progress so far and believe they can make the city better, the recovery will really take off.
    Last edited by DetroitBoy; February-11-15 at 03:04 PM.

It's going to take a lot longer than 5 to 10 years. It is always quicker and easier to destroy than to build.

Here's the video for those that missed it:

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    It's going to take a lot longer than 5 to 10 years. It is always quicker and easier to destroy than to build.
    Yeah, because really this is a hazmat cleanup job more so than anything else, especially with the blight removal.

It was very gratifying to have the Mayor choose the Redford Theatre as the site of his address, much credit goes to John George and his Blight Busters team for making that happen. They theatre looked beautiful on television, and all seats were full, over 1500 people in attendance. For many of us active in that project it is very satisfying to see that 40+ years of steady work led to last night. The Old Redford business district is unique in Detroit, and a small center of innovation and small business success. Were the theatre gone, or derelict I dare say this would not be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post

I'm hoping the blight removal gets to my neighborhood soon. In particular there are at least a couple of long-abandoned [[10+ years) decrepit apartment buildings, and a cavernous former school [[most recently called Dieter Elementary)..

MAcc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitBoy View Post
    He was wonderful! We are on the road to once again becoming one of the great cities in the country!
    History shows that's not how it works. People do not revive old cities [[unless they're on a coast*), as it's much more efficient to walk away and build new ones [[see: south boom). Duggan and his boys are merely picking the carcass and he'll move onto higher office at the first opportunity. Wow he razed abandoned properties...while his pals divvy up the BILLION bucks.

*Chicago is an outlier
    Last edited by MAcc; February-11-15 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Hyperbole describing a great speech. Just like hearing a great advetisement and saying, "makes me want to run down to the store and buy one now". He was giving Duggan a compliment.
    Maybe you're right. Just don't know what to expect when LBP opens the ole piehole.

Gannon wrote [[and Sumas supported) this: "....shame you cannot put in an order to that serial arsonist who is conveniently doing the clearing for the Hantz Group...

Hantz Group conspirancy fears anyone?

Just so you know, Steve Neavling reports that the fires in January, for instance, were concentrated in the following zip codes:

He writes:

"
    The highest concentration of fires was in west-side neighborhoods bounded by Michigan, West Grand River, Ford and Puritan. On the east side, the area near the old State Fairgrounds also was hit hard."

So, nary a mention of a fire in the 48214 neighborhood.

I am unsure of the exact zip code of the Hantz property concentration. Is it any of the zips that Neavling tallied above?

To insinuate that Hantz is paying off an arsonist is libelous - and both of your identities are very well-known around town. You should both be more careful.

The sure defense against libel is the truth and John Hantz could bring that defense to bear against people who libel him on a public forum.

Quote Originally Posted by MAcc View Post
    History shows that's not how it works. People do not revive old cities [[unless they're on a coast*), as it's much more efficient to walk away and build new ones [[see: south boom). Duggan and his boys are merely picking the carcass and he'll move onto higher office at the first opportunity. Wow he razed abandoned properties...while his pals divvy up the BILLION bucks.

*Chicago is an outlier
    Coming from the person who asked if Illitch was considering moving the Red Wings out of Detroit with no facts just a hate filled agenda. There is always one in the bunch.

What about Pittsburgh hot shot?
    Last edited by warsaw7; February-11-15 at 02:41 PM.

Street lights repaired.

Detroit Police response time increased.

Regional jobs are growing.

fewer abandon homes are gone.

New D-DOT busses are here.

So why are you all whining about Duggan's progress. It least he's not Kwame Kilpatrick when he give out the farewell State of the City Address.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLQ4VCqpQzY

If I have gone the Redford Theater to listen to Duggan's Address I will stand up and clap my hands that he is getting the job done in the City of Detroit.

YAY Duggan!

are they really demolishing 200/week? Will be interesting to see how empty the city looks in satellite images a few years from now.

Any mention of collecting the money Kilpatrick & Beatty owe to the city as part of their criminal plea bargain.....?

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    Gannon wrote [[and Sumas supported) this: "....shame you cannot put in an order to that serial arsonist who is conveniently doing the clearing for the Hantz Group...

Hantz Group conspirancy fears anyone?

Just so you know, Steve Neavling reports that the fires in January, for instance, were concentrated in the following zip codes:

He writes:

"
    The highest concentration of fires was in west-side neighborhoods bounded by Michigan, West Grand River, Ford and Puritan. On the east side, the area near the old State Fairgrounds also was hit hard."

So, nary a mention of a fire in the 48214 neighborhood.

I am unsure of the exact zip code of the Hantz property concentration. Is it any of the zips that Neavling tallied above?

To insinuate that Hantz is paying off an arsonist is libelous - and both of your identities are very well-known around town. You should both be more careful.

The sure defense against libel is the truth and John Hantz could bring that defense to bear against people who libel him on a public forum.

Just who is Neavling??? This is an open board and subject to opinion. Didn't know Gannon and ourselves were so notorious around town. Slander, please give me a break.

He is a nice guy, met him. Saw his so called experimental farm. Best land grab I've seen. Smart dude!

No arson in my area, dream on.

He lives in Indian Village. I was going to comitte a sum of money to help redo their antique lights. Sounds like you work for him so tell him to pay in. Pledge retracted.

Listening to a fire truck now. Ammend that , several trucks.

Why not just list my address, you know so much about me.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Just who is Neavling??? This is an open board and subject to opinion. Didn't know Gannon and ourselves were so notorious around town. Slander, please give me a break.

He is a nice guy, met him. Saw his so called experimental farm. Best land grab I've seen. Smart dude!

No arson in my area, dream on.

He lives in Indian Village. I was going to comitte a sum of money to help redo their antique lights. Sounds like you work for him so tell him to pay in. Pledge retracted.

Listening to a fire truck now. Ammend that , several trucks.

Why not just list my address, you know so much about me.

Sumas I got the joke and I laughed quite a bit! Is this the result of destruction equals creation?!

DetroitBoy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I'm hoping the blight removal gets to my neighborhood soon. In particular there are at least a couple of long-abandoned [[10+ years) decrepit apartment buildings, and a cavernous former school [[most recently called Dieter Elementary)..
    Have you called your district office and talked to the district or assistant manager? Their job is to work on blight. The numbers for each district office is on the city of Detroit website under departments then look for neighborhoods. Call them and ask about those buildings. Maybe they can tell you when or see if they can help get them done sooner. It doesn't cost anything to call and check it out.

I was listening to WCHB this evening after work; Ms. Gaddis had Sam Riddle on as an in-studio guest, and also State Sen. Bert Johnson, to react to the mayor's speech. Mr. Johnson's comments were critical but nuanced; otherwise, things seemed to be fairly reactionary.

I've come to really hate the political discourse among some urban Detroiters. It seems to rarely rise above the level of "we hate everybody"/ everybody is a sellout/ The conspiracy of 'THEY'/'THEM' are always in the mix/ Coleman Young's ghost needs to come back and run the city/ every candidate has to have some super-perfectly Afrocentric bonafides.. It just gets to be a b____fest and frequently degenerates into scorched-earth religious rhetoric, but nobody's told that they need to vote to try and effect real change; settling on conspiracies with anonymous culprits doesn't cut it. I'm sick of hearing the g**damned Illuminati diatribes..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast