Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    ...do people still say "blind pig"?
    I've seen the term used in papers. i think the cops still use it

I've watched and recorded the first two episodes. The cast includes some of my favorite character actors, so that's part of the draw for me, as well as the Detroit setting.

I've recommended it to friends. I like it a lot so far.

My neighbor thinks a scene was shot in our neighborhood. A brick house on a circle at the end of a street. She said it was a murder scene. I see others have identified scene locations. That would be a good reason to watch it.

I'm a week behind and was watching the second episode last night. One of the scenes was set in the dead cops 'new' suburban house. The address was 29060 or something like that, which translates to 12 Mile in the Macomb County numbering system. I'm thinking that was perhaps filmed in Heritage Village or whatever the development is on the old GM land across from the Tech Center?

Pretty good show I think. I think the whole cop drama has been a little overdone, but at the same time, I've never gotten into one before. Never watched The Wire or anything, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll keep watching it since it's entertaining and I'll already be watching Breaking Bad right before anyway. And the scenes of Detroit are pretty cool.

Funny line last night from the Police lieutenant, speaking of dealing with a demanding city official: "I'd drop kick this woman if she wasn't married to the congressman."

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati View Post
    Pretty good show I think. I think the whole cop drama has been a little overdone, but at the same time, I've never gotten into one before. Never watched The Wire or anything, so I have nothing to compare it to. I'll keep watching it since it's entertaining and I'll already be watching Breaking Bad right before anyway. And the scenes of Detroit are pretty cool.
    Funny you mention the Wire. The character Damon who is played by James Ransone has basically reprised the role of Ziggy, the character he played in the second season of the Wire. A gangster [[or wanna-be gangster) white boy who comes into a black city and sets up shop. Interesting show. It has my attention but I probably wouldn't watch it if weren't set in the D.

Lafayette or American??? - cheezy Detroit reference, hate when they do this...

Quote Originally Posted by Motor City Sam View Post
    Funny line last night from the Police lieutenant, speaking of dealing with a demanding city official: "I'd drop kick this woman if she wasn't married to the congressman."
    LOL, I didnt catch that till you posted it but it did ring a bell Sunday night. Thanks. I wonder if Monica is Twittering about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Lafayette or American??? - cheezy Detroit reference, hate when they do this...
    I thought the same thing. But if they didn't reference it everyone would be asking why not. Would have been cool if someone jumped in and said Duly's.

The show is moving to slow for me, I'm hanging in because its Detroit. I think I liked 187 better.

I liked 187 better but my wife likes this one better. We watch it because it's based in Detroit, that's it. I'm not a fan of shows that have one plot line that runs through the entire show. I'd rather the show had different things going on every week. Whatevs, it's Detroit on my TV screen, and I like that they aren't technically "bashing" Detroit, and they don't really reference that it is Detroit too much.

I actually liked the Lafayette/American reference, but sadly they went to the WRONG PLACE!

There was a very brief Church scene last week. Anyone recognize the inside? I thought maybe Sweetest Heart of Mary, but it was a very quick shot.

C

Crime boss guy to gang leader: "You guys operate out of Greektown, right?"

LOL Ohhh how VERY Detroit....cuz, ya know, Greektown is just OVERRUN with gang activity these days!!!
    Last edited by artds; August-27-13 at 09:43 AM.

The wake scene was filmed at the Gaelic League in last Sunday's episode.

Yes! OK, reply has to have 10 characters.
    Last edited by txlady; August-27-13 at 03:54 PM.

The black dude who got shot in the face at the dopehouse in the first episode, he's an acquaintance of mine who's been an extra in a bunch of flicks. But this is his biggest TV moment so far and he is so excited about it.

I think the show kinda sucks,most of the characters in this story really don't seem like the kind we have around here in real life. And the dialogue is way over dramatic and has absolutely no humor. We all know that the G's from the Diirty D laugh while pulling the trigger... But alas, I must watch it anyway.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; August-27-13 at 09:06 PM.

We like it, although it is slow moving. Plus the one cop is from Hung, but his character is much better here. The fact that Ziggy and the IA guy from The Wire is in it [[although never can stand the IA guy's characters), although Ziggy is obviously a miscreant, ha. I hope it continues and that people have work from it.

The show is kinda slow...and I don't like single-plot series. If it wasn't in Detroit, I am certain I would not be watching it, as I do not like detective shows. I am having a really tough time connecting to any of the characters. I'm getting to know their histories so slowly that it's tough to feel them. I do like that the main characters are all complex. I guess that it is an okay show, if you like crime dramas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zug View Post
    The show is kinda slow...and I don't like single-plot series. If it wasn't in Detroit, I am certain I would not be watching it, as I do not like detective shows. I am having a really tough time connecting to any of the characters. I'm getting to know their histories so slowly that it's tough to feel them. I do like that the main characters are all complex. I guess that it is an okay show, if you like crime dramas.
    Maybe they should rename it to "Slow Winter Sun"?

Does anyone know where the set used for the Catacombs was located...the old elevator looked like somewhere in the Masonic, as did the lobby area, but can't be sure. The corridors and rooms also look like basement levels at MASONIC.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Does anyone know where the set used for the Catacombs was located...the old elevator looked like somewhere in the Masonic, as did the lobby area, but can't be sure. The corridors and rooms also look like basement levels at MASONIC.
    call me naive, but is there really operations/places like this happening in Detroit??? seems a bit over-dramatic.....

Used to be some places off/around Grand River corridor, couple of after hour joints downtown years ago and every once in a while there is a report of a raid. Recently some bar and adjoining commercial bldg was raided up on W Chicago/Meyers with 15 y olds working as prostitutes. Don't know how actively the Vice squad works these days. I know they were doing stings up on Michigan and Livernois due to resident complaints.

What is the history of "The International," the bar next door to Serman's? I know it was called the Baltimore Bar & Grill some time back. Is it open now or is it being used as a set? I seem to recall it being called something else back in the day. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Yeah, I thought right away it was the Masonic as well - definitely appeared that way. When he first talked to the guy in the creepy little room and the guy said he can have whatever he wants - I'm 99% sure that is the tiny room to the right of the chapel on the fourth or fifth floor of the Masonic.

By the way, I'm not a detective or anything, but if internal affairs thought two cops might be involved in a murder would they really be the two cops in charge of investigating the murder? What got me thinking that was the witness who said he saw a white guy and a black guy and the cops are trying to basically alter his opinion...it seems like somebody else would be involved and obviously see how this could implicate the cops investigating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast