Detroit Swag-o-mania

Some of nature's more beautiful moments in Detroit are created by the spring and autumn fogs that rise over the city. The autumn fog season arrived in Detroit today, rolling in around 7 AM and with burn-off, shown here, starting around 10 AM. Ship horns are calling out to each other all over the Straits of the Detroit.

READ MORE »

New? Join DetroitYES»

DISCUSSING ALL THINGS DETROIT-WINDSOR SINCE 1999

ENJOY DETROITYES?

AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »

Default Shock Theater on Detroit TV circa 1960...

Anyone know if Shock Theater was syndicated? A woman in Virginia told me recently she watch it when she was a kid on a Virginia TV station?

Did Shock Theater originate in Detroit or was it piped in from another city? What years did it run in Detroit?

When I was around 10 or 12 in the late '50s, I caught the 1956 original movie version of "1984" on Shock Theater and it scared the hell out of me as I thought Oceania was a real place. Edmund O'Brien starred as Winston Smith; John Hurt played that role in the '80s remake.

I'm told the 1956 version of "1984" is not available on DVD.

I think it was a local show, perhaps it was on WJBK-TV.

Shock Theater was a generic name that was used thruout the country. It aired initially in Detroit on WXYZ in 1957.

Close your windows
    Close your doors
    Insulate yourselves
    Prepare yourselves for
    SHOCK!

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    ... When I was around 10 or 12 in the late '50s, I caught the 1956 original movie version of "1984" on Shock Theater and it scared the hell out of me as I thought Oceania was a real place. Edmund O'Brien starred as Winston Smith; John Hurt played that role in the '80s remake.

I'm told the 1956 version of "1984" is not available on DVD.
    Thanks. I want to watch that version again. I found it on youtube: 1984 - 1956 Version DVD (FULL). It's an hour and a half long.