Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    How do you know he wasn't there the days that the crime was reported by the newspapers?
    The two incidents I witnessed were minor and unrelated to what I posted. The employees that work there everyday said it's "normal."

I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset, which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a difference of opinion and shopping preferences.
    Last edited by m b v; March-14-13 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. That's all.
    Do you plan on leaving your house? In what local shopping mall or public venue would you feel safer than Somerset?

Shollin Guest

The two incidents I witnessed were minor and unrelated to what I posted. The employees that work there everyday said it's "normal."

I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset. Which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a different of opinion and shopping preferences, guys.
    Theft is normal. Welcome to the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Theft is normal. Welcome to the real world.
    What about killing?

What about killing?
    Let me guess; now you're going to have anecdotes of mass killings at Somerset?

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Let me guess; now you're going to have anecdotes of mass killings at Somerset?
    Nah......I was trying to find out if you thought people being killed in the real as being normal?

I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset. Which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a difference of opinion and shopping preferences, guys.
    Minor? and that along with unsubstantiated rumors have scared you off from Somerset? get real

You have Rochester area residents handling a lot of shopping at the Village

Maybe--but I'd have to see the numbers backing this up. Rochester's track record of retail success [[particularly 'downtown' but also the attempts at surrounding "upscale" shopping centers) have been abysmal. The proof is in the high turnover. If an establishment is making money, they're probably not going to close their doors--and Rochester has been a revolving door of upscale businesses for decades.

For whatever reason, status-minded residents in the area have always preferred to travel to [[first) Oakland, then [[later) Somerset or Birmingham to shop.

It's very telling that the only long term enduring retailers are Knapp's diner and the Kmart-anchored shopping center at the south end of town---the most bourgeois of businesses. The food markets at "the Villages" appear to do OK, but you can fire a cannon down the faux Main St without a casualty. I believe the "luxury" hotel in town has been operating in bankruptcy for ages.

I have always suspected that many families in the area [[fleeing inner-ring suburbs) are knee-deep in mortgages and have little disposable income for designer duds & drinks. Rochester is a classic example of out-of-the-area MBA bean counters determining that the income demographics indicate success of upscale business without taking the time to do some cursory historical homework.

Perception is a funny thing... not always based in the real world... I know people in Alpena who think Rochester is Ghetto! They're relatives of a friend who lives in Rochester.

If Mitzelfeld's can't make it in Rochester... what can?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Minor? and that along with unsubstantiated rumors have scared you off from Somerset? get real
    So you don't think it's possible that he witnessed people stealing from Somerset or you don't think it's possible that people steal from Somerset?

So you don't think it's possible that he witnessed people stealing from Somerset or you don't think it's possible that people steal from Somerset?
    Rb336 has posted here long enough to see stories like this... no one doubts that there is crime in EVERY shopping mall... but it is not killing off business at Somerset...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...d-at-gunpoint/

Nah......I was trying to find out if you thought people being killed in the real as being normal?
    No, I don't think it's normal, and no, I don't think people are being killed at Somerset, or at any other local shopping venue.

What killing are you referring to? Has there ever been a murder associated with Somerset? Most years there are 0 murders in all of Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    No, I don't think it's normal, and no, I don't think people are being killed at Somerset, or at any other local shopping venue.

What killing are you referring to? Has there ever been a murder associated with Somerset? Most years there are 0 murders in all of Troy.
    That's not the point I was trying to make, which is, if theft is so much apart of the real world why make such a big deal about it [[in Detroit) when it is too apart of the real world[[killing)?

That's not the point I was trying to make, which is, if theft is so much apart of the real world why make such a big deal about it [[in Detroit) when it is too apart of the real world[[killing)?
    I have no idea what you're talking about.

Are you saying that crime is crime, and shoplifting is equivalent to homicide?

Or that, since crime exists everywhere in society, therefore all jurisdictions have the same issues with crime?

And affluent people don't go to Pentagon City [[anymore). It would be a tragedy if Somerset becomes a Pentagon City--but contrary to some delusion commenters that like to pretend nothing has changed at Somerset--it appears to be headed down that path. Pentagon City is always busy, but I won't step foot in there.
    Seriously?

And affluent people don't go to Pentagon City [[anymore). It would be a tragedy if Somerset becomes a Pentagon City--but contrary to some delusion commenters that like to pretend nothing has changed at Somerset--it appears to be headed down that path. Pentagon City is always busy, but I won't step foot in there.
    Affluent people don't go to pentagon city anymore >___> Oh Ok...I could have swore that they announced upscale store moving in and the mall is getting a huge makeover, wait they did.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Rb336 has posted here long enough to see stories like this... no one doubts that there is crime in EVERY shopping mall... but it is not killing off business at Somerset...

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2012/05/...d-at-gunpoint/
    Lovely comments in that link.

i'm sure people steal everywhere. i was simply curious what kind of minor crime scared m b v away from Somerset. Sorry, but crime there happens, but probably not as often as at other malls. you are far more likely to get robbed at a gas station or convenience store

"I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset, which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a difference of opinion and shopping preferences."

If you find Somerset "scary" and a place to be avoided, how do you even manage to leave your house? It's amazing to me to read from the bed-wetters of the world who are afraid of their own shadow and the scary shadows of "those people". Go join the Army or the Navy and see the world so you can gain some perspective about what real bad places look like and then you'll be able to manage Somerset without quaking in your boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm confused, trying to read between the lines. Is the OP saying that there are too many black people at Somerset?
    Ding.

Somerset is alive and strong, regardless of the color of people that shop there.

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I'm confused, trying to read between the lines. Is the OP saying that there are too many black people at Somerset?
    Your comment reminds me of the Chris Rock joke, "Every town has two malls; the white mall and the mall white people used to go to."

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Novine View Post
    "I understand some of the commenters may feel safe and welcome at Somerset, which is fine. Me, and a rather large group of friends and family, no longer do and will avoid the Collection. It's ok to have a difference of opinion and shopping preferences."

If you find Somerset "scary" and a place to be avoided, how do you even manage to leave your house? It's amazing to me to read from the bed-wetters of the world who are afraid of their own shadow and the scary shadows of "those people". Go join the Army or the Navy and see the world so you can gain some perspective about what real bad places look like and then you'll be able to manage Somerset without quaking in your boots.
    Newsflash: people don't pay a million bucks for a house in a safe enclave because they want to shop amongst criminals and loiterers from Detroit and Pontiac.

Newsflash: people don't pay a million bucks for a house in a safe enclave because they want to shop amongst criminals and loiterers from Detroit and Pontiac.
    Were you checking IDs at the door to determine residency? Short of mind-reading, what makes you say that the folks at Somerset are from Detroit and Pontiac? Oh, because they're black people?

Here's a newsflash for you: There are many black people that live in cities other than Detroit and Pontiac and [[gasp!) many are even gainfully-employed and not criminals.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Were you checking IDs at the door to determine residency? Short of mind-reading, what makes you say that the folks at Somerset are from Detroit and Pontiac? Oh, because they're black people?

Here's a newsflash for you: There are many black people that live in cities other than Detroit and Pontiac and [[gasp!) many are even gainfully-employed and not criminals.
    And -Shocker alert - many African Americans are RICH or at least UMC!

Oh my, oh heavens; where will white people go to next? Life is unfair for white folks having to deal with third world issues edging in on their first world problems. I symp-o-thize.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast