Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Wait, you asked for references about the crimes as if it weren't possible and when he did you now admit that it is possible? Who said it was a magical bubble, you asked for proof and got it, whats your beef?
    No, I asked for evidence for the claimed epidemic of crime. No evidence was given [[nothing about crime spikes, business losses, closed stores, etc.)

I never claimed that Somerset existed in a magical dimension. In what world would a retail center not have any crime?

I am absolutely shocked to learn that shoplifting occurs at a shopping mall. I thought that type of thing only happened in bombed out desolate ghettos in the inner city.

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    You should call up Mr. Forbes, then [[family owners of Somerset). Tell him his mall [[one of the highest grossing in the nation) just isn't cutting it anymore, and that all the wealth has fled to Macomb Township and Brighton.

They're already planning Somerset Phase 3, with even more retail [[on the old KMart HQ site), so better get to him soon.
    That's great. It doesn't mean it will be the same safe and tony mall it has been in years past. Have you been to Pentagon City? I'm sure it has similar occupency rates, but it's dreadful. Last year on these forums after a robbery in Somerset:

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I was with a friend at the Apple store recently at Somerset for her to purchase a computer - an expensive proposition - and Apple provides a rear entry 'pick up' option to pick up your purchase.
    Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    TO HALL ROAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I guess it's time to abandon Troy and Somerset Collections now. It's too unsafe there now with Detroiters moving in.
    Last edited by m b v; March-14-13 at 11:41 AM.

No, I asked for evidence for the claimed epidemic of crime. No evidence was given [[nothing about crime spikes, business losses, closed stores, etc.)

I never claimed that Somerset existed in a magical dimension. In what world would a retail center not have any crime?
    Wow.....thats not what you typed, its possible that's what you meant but since I'm no mind reader I have to go by what you typed which was " Can you reference some of these alleged criminal incidents at Somerset? "
    Cheers

Wow.....thats not what you typed, its possible that's what you meant but since I'm no mind reader I have to go by what you typed which was " Can you reference some of these alleged criminal incidents at Somerset? "
    Cheers
    Obviously that was in the context of the discussion, where the thread starter claimed that crime was harming Somerset. Skepticism re. the claim doesn't imply that crime has ceased to exist.

Obviously that was in the context of the discussion, where the thread starter claimed that crime was harming Somerset. Skepticism re. the claim doesn't imply that crime has ceased to exist.
    Yeah......obviously.

m b v Guest

I'm telling you first hand people in Birmingham and Bloomfield actively avoid Somerset. I cited reported very serious crimes. I have witnessed two brazen crimes in progress. I have witnessed the deluge of loiterers--who hasn't? Full parking lots do not mean there hasn’t been a crowd shift, for the worse. You’re in denial and/or trolling.

This is the key point. The key indicators of a mall's health are the rents and the occupancy rates. As far as I can see, Somerset's are both good. Whatever crime there is has not been sufficient to change that.

Now maybe the crime is a leading indicator of future decline, but if you wanted to make that case you would probably want to have some evidence that there is more crime at Somerset than at other successful malls, or that the rate of crime at Somerset is rising faster than elsewhere and I haven't see any evidence of that.

My opinion is that the main danger to places like Somerset is changes is shopping patterns because of technology, demographics, and the general economy. Crime is probably not a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    I'm telling you first hand people in Birmingham and Bloomfield actively avoid Somerset.
    And I'm telling you that you're full of crap, and Somerset has never been more successful, which is why it's growing even bigger, and is attracting even more upscale stores.

The people living in Bloomfield Hills and environs are the very reason for Somerset's location and success. The only way Somerset declines is if the wealth moves somewhere else [[highly unlikely), or if some giant new retail center is built in the immediate Bloomfield vicinity [[even less likely).

m b v Guest

And I'm telling you that you're full of crap, and Somerset has never been more successful, which is why it's growing even bigger, and is attracting even more upscale stores.

The people living in Bloomfield Hills and environs are the very reason for Somerset's location and success. The only way Somerset declines is if the wealth moves somewhere else [[highly unlikely), or if some giant new retail center is built in the immediate Bloomfield vicinity [[even less likely).
    Over the last 5 years, Somerset has become sketch to people like me. But I am glad you still enjoy it.

I'm telling you first hand people in Birmingham and Bloomfield actively avoid Somerset. I cited reported very serious crimes. I have witnessed two brazen crimes in progress. I have witnessed the deluge of loiterers--who hasn't? Full parking lots do not mean there hasn’t been a crowd shift, for the worse. You’re in denial and/or trolling.
    I can tell you first hand accounts of plenty of people from Birmingham, Bloomfield, and Troy who DO shop there.

If those people want to avoid Somerset, fine but they sure live in a small, isolated world. Do they go downtown Detroit for entertainment or sporting events? If so, they are a bunch of hypocrits. Matter of fact if they drive out of Bloomfield Hills and go anywhere other than their country club do they feel unsafe? Woodward Ave & Telegraph draw more crime to the area by nature of them being regional throughfares.

Can you prove there has been a crowd shift? I have been going to Somerset since back it it was just the one-story mall on the south side of the road. When they opened Somerset North it became a regional destination and draws people in from all areas. Plenty of people from Detroit, Warren, etc shop there and they always have. In fact, Canadians love Somerset, just look at all of the Ontario plates in the parking lots when you go there.

In the world of shopping malls, Somerset still stands far and above anything else in the area. It is well-known nationally as being a well-run and high volume, and upscale center.

You're trolling.

I have witnessed the deluge of loiterers--who hasn't?
    Dude, there have been loiterers at every mall as far back as I can remember, when I started going to malls in the 70s.

Shollin Guest

As someone who worked loss prevention and was trained to detect shoplifting, I'm truly amazed at your skills to detect so many shoplifters.

And affluent people don't go to Pentagon City [[anymore). It would be a tragedy if Somerset becomes a Pentagon City--but contrary to some delusion commenters that like to pretend nothing has changed at Somerset--it appears to be headed down that path. Pentagon City is always busy, but I won't step foot in there.
    It is all true. I stopped at Somerset last night with the family. It really has become a wretched hive of scum and villainy.

a) We held both of sets of airlock doors open for a family. May I remind you we held open both doors. The bastages had the nerve to say 'thank you.' And they smiled! You know what 'those people' are like.

b) My son had some money burning a hole in his pocket. He wanted to go to the Lego store to see their wares. Some of the workers/jokers had put together a set of minifigures that looked like the Village People. They were arguing over whether the Village People had a cop and a military person at the same time. Now I'm going to have to explain that particular form of human interaction to my elementary school-aged son. You know, disco. [[Another worker their showed that the lighting at the store formed the underside of a Lego brick. That mean person. What is seen can never be unseen.)

c) We walked by the EB Games/Game Stop store. It was shuttered! Only to be replaced by a knick-knack shop. My son asked the security guard when did the store close. She gave the exact date the store closed, then proceeded to tell us where the nearest Game Stop was. Doesn't the security guard know she is supposed to be rude and unhelpful, especially to a preteen?

d) My wife stopped at a store to see if they had a spring jacket in stock. No, the store associate said the said jacket was popular and moves quickly. He suggested trying the store's web site. Why, oh why, didn't the associate just say 'tough kittens' or 'finders keepers, losers weepers' and send us on our way?

e) Lastly, we were getting ready to leave. First, we had to stop at the rest rooms before setting out on our long and arduous journey back to Royal Oak. Guess what? My son's sink was out of soap. There, that alone proves that the mall is really into its death-spiral.

Over the last 5 years, Somerset has become sketch to people like me. But I am glad you still enjoy it.
    The evidence is clear that "people like you" are not representative of the general population of Oakland County shoppers. I dislike Somerset and don't go there, but I know I'm not representative of the general population.

Last year on these forums after a robbery in Somerset:

Quote Originally Posted by 48091
    TO HALL ROAD!
    Quote Originally Posted by 313WX
    I guess it's time to abandon Troy and Somerset Collections now. It's too unsafe there now with Detroiters moving in.
    I am 99% sure that 48091 and 313WX were being facetious.

I agree with Bham1982 I do think you do not care for the mall and have this delusion that everyone else does not. Most everyone I know from Grosse Pointe shops there on a consistent basis, and they will not travel anywhere they are not comfortable.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; March-14-13 at 12:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I agree with Bham1982 I do think you do not care for the mall and have this delusion that everyone else does not. Most everyone I know from Grosse Pointe shops there on a consistant basis, as they will not travel anywhere they are not comfortable.
    Why should your observation be taken over his? Clearly he knows people who think otherwise and you know others who do not, isnt it possible th a t you all know two different groups of people?

m b v Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    As someone who worked loss prevention and was trained to detect shoplifting, I'm truly amazed at your skills to detect so many shoplifters.
    Thank you! But I can't say it took my degree from Ann Arbor to see two men running towards an exit with merchandise they forgot to pay for.

We went to dinner at Somerset last weekend, and wow! It took me forever to find a place to park. I had a nice hike in to J. Alexander's from the corner of Coolidge and Big Beaver. Dinner was wonderful, and the servers could not have been more helpful [[I found out they voucher for the valet parking, a nice bonus). After dinner, some of our party went window shopping and reported the place was packed with shoppers and they had lots of fun. I would say the days of parking your somewhat less fashionable vehicle far from the entrance and teetering into the mall in high fashion high heels to look more wealthy are past, but many people appear to be taking advantage of the great stores and pleasant surroundings.

Thank you! But I can't say it took my degree from Ann Arbor to see two men running towards an exit with merchandise they forgot to pay for.
    And, assuming the incidents are true [[I don't think you're telling the truth, BTW; I don't believe it would be possible to observe theft every time you enter a store), why would this anecdote lead to you to start this thread?

In the face of all the facts [[no vacancies, highest grosses, huge crowds, more and more upscale stores), what would cause you to believe that Somerset has serious competition in the area?

Most of the malls in Metro Detroit are in awful shape. There isn't a single downtown with substantial retail. Even the healthier malls can't hold a candle to Somerset.

Cited? no, claimed with no citations is more accurate.

malls were meant for loiterers, as hang outs, etc.

you witnessed two brazen crimes? what type? what did YOU do about it?

And, assuming the incidents are true [[I don't think you're telling the truth, BTW; I don't believe it would be possible to observe theft every time you enter a store), why would this anecdote lead to you to start this thread?

In the face of all the facts [[no vacancies, highest grosses, huge crowds, more and more upscale stores), what would cause you to believe that Somerset has serious competition in the area?

Most of the malls in Metro Detroit are in awful shape. There isn't a single downtown with substantial retail. Even the healthier malls can't hold a candle to Somerset.
    How do you know he wasn't there the days that the crime was reported by the newspapers?

Shollin Guest

How do you know he wasn't there the days that the crime was reported by the newspapers?
    I would start to find is suspicious if he happened to be there each time those incidents occured

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Cited? no, claimed with no citations is more accurate.

malls were meant for loiterers, as hang outs, etc.

you witnessed two brazen crimes? what type? what did YOU do about it?
    Did you miss the newspaper articles he posted?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast