Condos rise above the Griswold parking structure located behind the Cadillac Hotel in Detroit
CAPITOL PARK'S DAY IN THE SUN

10 FUN THINGS TO DO IN DETROIT »



Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1

    Default Early 1950s bus routes

    I'm interested in early 1950s bus routes, especially those servicing Northwest Detroit. What I'd really like to get hold of is a 1951 or 1952 route map (any possibility??) but, failing that, there are two I'm really interested in, Hamilton and Second. Were the early 50s versions different from later? How if at all were these routes in 1951-2 affected by the Lodge construction?

  2. #2

    Default

    There is a group on Yahoo ( DSR-2-DOT ) that may be able to give you some answers. My father was a DSR bus driver from 1946-1976. he would have been 94 years old today. He died two years ago. The last job he had was operating the trolley downtown. Here's a picture of him.

    Name:  dad.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  33.3 KB

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    There is a group on Yahoo ( DSR-2-DOT ) that may be able to give you some answers. My father was a DSR bus driver from 1946-1976. he would have been 94 years old today. He died two years ago. The last job he had was operating the trolley downtown. Here's a picture of him.

    Name:  dad.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  33.3 KB
    How VERY cool! I probably met him riding the trolley back then.

  4. #4

  5. #5

    Default

    Thank you all so far. I know the above site and am on the list to receive posts from DSR-2-DOT--both excellent resources. What I've heard is that the Second and Hamilton routes were both in place in the early 1950s "pretty much as now," but haven't yet uncovered a route map. I'd love to find one! If anyone can post even a raunchy quality scan or photo of one, I promise to spend the time needed with Photoshop to restore it to the highest level possible and then repost!

  6. #6

    Default

    For those interested, my failure to try Google again in recent months resulted in my not seeing 1950 transit map that has been posted earlier this year:

    http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...eMap-1950.html

    I'm not sure if there's a direct link to it from "DSR years," but it's there.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tfrodent View Post
    For those interested, my failure to try Google again in recent months resulted in my not seeing 1950 transit map that has been posted earlier this year:

    http://www.detroittransithistory.inf...eMap-1950.html

    I'm not sure if there's a direct link to it from "DSR years," but it's there.
    The above link was the appropriate one on the website to show DSR bus routes from the early 50s.
    The problem with fulfilling your request was that the DSR didn't begin printing individual pocket schedules with route maps until the late 1950s. Even then, those pocket-sized schedules with maps were only printed for lighter service lines where wait times were 10-15 minutes or more. Although that becomes an inconvenience for those like myself into that type of information, there wasn't really a need prior to the late-1950s/1960s because most lines provided frequent (1-5 min) headways all day.

    However, DSR service maps that outlined the entire system routes (like the one in link) have been issued since the 1920s. They provided a detailed outline of the service along with a street-by-street description for each line. It also provided late hour (owl service) headway times during late-hour 24 hour operation and listed any short-turns in service during the hours of 2-4AM.

    If the above link doesn't answer your question I'll be more than happy to provide the street-by-street operation the DSR provided on the original map which I couldn't include on the website.
    Last edited by bc_n_dtown; December-19-12 at 02:20 PM.

  8. #8

    Default

    BTW--The Lodge freeway did affect the local Hamilton route south of Grand Blvd (Holden), which completely eliminated Hamilton street south of Holden. The initial Hamilton bus route used Holden and Third streets SB into town, while Temple and Hamilton were used outbound. Numerous re-routes (south of Seward) were used during construction (1949-53). The linked map was dated Sept 1950, after demolition work had begun south of the Blvd, and already shows Hamilton bus service along Hamilton and Holden streets being rerouted along 2nd and 3rd.
    Last edited by bc_n_dtown; December-19-12 at 02:08 PM.

  9. #9

    Default

    A little off topic, but I lived on Stanley a couple of blocks from Hamilton and remember when they started to tear down the buildngs to build the Freeway. We used to ride our bikes on the road when it was being built. My grade school was McKinley on the corner of Stanley and Hamilton was torn down for the freeway.

    That seems like so many years ago, but I do remember taking the bus on Hamilton when I lived there. Some of the homes they tore down were like mansions to me and I couldn't believe they would do that just for a rode.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bc_n_dtown View Post
    BTW--The Lodge freeway did affect the local Hamilton route south of Grand Blvd (Holden), which completely eliminated Hamilton street south of Holden. The initial Hamilton bus route used Holden and Third streets SB into town, while Temple and Hamilton were used outbound. Numerous re-routes (south of Seward) were used during construction (1949-53). The linked map was dated Sept 1950, after demolition work had begun south of the Blvd, and already shows Hamilton bus service along Hamilton and Holden streets being rerouted along 2nd and 3rd.
    Thanks for the invaluable information!

  11. #11

    Default

    I remember an old bus company that would travel the Hilton Rd/Campbell Rd corridor in Ferndale/Royal Oak with the bus terminal being where the Royal Oak Fish Market is now (where people buy octopi for the playoffs ) m the buses were red/blue and I believe they had a route going into Highland Park (late 50's possibly ) Martin Bus Lines

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Instagram
BEST ONLINE FORUM FOR
DETROIT-BASED DISCUSSION
DetroitYES Awarded BEST OF DETROIT 2015 - Detroit MetroTimes - Best Online Forum for Detroit-based Discussion 2015

ENJOY DETROITYES?


AND HAVE ADS REMOVED DETAILS »





Welcome to DetroitYES!
DetroitYES! is a free service that relies on revenue from ad display [regrettably] as well as donations from our members and audience to defray our expenses.

We notice that you are using an ad-blocking program that prevents us from earning revenue during your visit.

Kindly consider making a donation to support this site.  DONATE HERE»

Thanks you.
Ads are REMOVED for Members who donate to DetroitYES!