Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

"I read about a lot of bad stuff going down in the area between Seven Mile and Eight Mile close to the Chrysler Freeway. Based on my observations driving through there a few times, those rumors have some substance.[/quote]"

Thats heavy drug territory. The thing is, just a few blocks west of John R is Ferndale, and they really dont have a lot of major problems.It pretty much changes immediatly across 8 mile. One side has mostly stripped, boarded-up houses. The other side is intact and occuppied. Such a sharp contrast for just being a few blocks apart. Kinda eerie.

MLK and Third where all the homeless crackheads and head cases hangout. The people hanging out there can be extremely unpredictable, which scares me every time I roll through the area. I was riding my bicycle through there last summer and a guy grabbed this brick and threw it across the street at a pigeon 3 feet in front of me. I nearly pooped my pants.

And people wonder why everyone [[that can) want to move out of Detroit.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by paragon_belial View Post
    another friend of mine helped plant a garden at that corner that was pretty much destroyed within a week.
    Hate to play Blame the Victim, but whose idea was it to plant a garden on that particular corner? Anyone who's ever been there could have seen that coming.

The only real trouble I have ever had in Detroit was at Comerica Park and around there. From the begining of the 80's on, all of the places that I have stayed at in Detroit I have heard gun shots , either close by or off in the distance. As for the suburbs I would stay clear of Little Saigon in Inkster which I hear is bad AND I don't care to investigate.

And now that I think of it. When an ex girlfriend of mine lived at Lexington/Lafayette&Green. All I would hear from a co-worker was "Get her and the kid outta there". That came from the mouth of a person who lived in the Michigan/Livernois area.. While I sat on the porch at night most of the gun fire that I did hear came from the Northeast which was his neighborhood. Actually thanks to Cub, I have found some areas on the Eastside that I would not want to be at. But you have to remember anything can happen at any given moment.

Maybe someone with a bit of mapping ability can post a map of the best and worst neighborhoods. I had a thread on the old board about this and it was packed with responses- seems like an interesting topic.

dadeeo...46...white male....works from home.....can live anywhere....will be in town this week to tour condos, I WANT to live in Detroit....I love everything about it...good and bad

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I figure any area that a Detroiter is unfamiliar with will seem more dangerous than others.

As far as the suburbs? Now, THAT's where I used to be nervous... and I'm a lady! Growing up in CAY-era Detroit, I heard all kinds of things about being caught in certain communities after dark. Now I'm just fine -- still can't pay me to go "up North", though!
    Sorry English, I can't let that last comment slide. Were you to be stranded "Up North", you wouldn't find yourself in any danger. Your opinion of northern Michigan is unfounded. You would be assisted by folks who are genuinely helpful and caring. Don't paint everyone with the same brush.

A number of years ago, I was in a post-grad program at MSU. Some of the meeting locations were in various parts of the state. Some of the blacks in the program refused to travel into Northern Michigan. They were very vocal about this. I lost quite a bit of respect for them after that. After all, this girl from the north traveled into Detroit in order to fulfill the requirements of the program.

One more thing, when I returned to the city from the northern part of Michigan, I was worried I might say the "wrong" thing or might not be as knowledgeable about diversity. That fear was unfounded. I've never met so many racists as I have in the city and in surrounding areas. Many of the racists are black.

English, please don't make such a region or ethnicity, unless you've lived there.

Thank you.

How about recent crime reports.
    http://detroit.mi.crimeviewcommunity.com/wizard.asp

The most dangerous area That I've grew up in Detroit was... Wait a minute! every area in Detroit is the most dangerous.

Thanks for the link, NDavies.
    In the last ten days it looks like there have only been 3 auto thefts, 2 burglaries and a larceny [[reported) in the 7 Mile and Redmond area. I feel much safer now.

thanks for the link Davies.

Kelly -Hope you feel really safe - those are only the crimes people lived to report lol

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by S.P.A. View Post
    Wait a minute! every area in Detroit is the most dangerous.
    That is a statistical impossibility. It's like when Garrison Keillor says that all the children in Lake Wobegon are above average.

Bear -Exactly right - because there are no children IN lake wobegon - only fish- and they are all below average.

Ocean, some truth to that, sad to say.

It's one thing to feel safe when it's just you. In some ways it's a measure of courage ... or maybe brains.

It's a different matter entirely when you think you're putting your family or others with you in harms way. The bar is much higher then.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    Sorry English, I can't let that last comment slide. Were you to be stranded "Up North", you wouldn't find yourself in any danger. Your opinion of northern Michigan is unfounded. You would be assisted by folks who are genuinely helpful and caring. Don't paint everyone with the same brush.

A number of years ago, I was in a post-grad program at MSU. Some of the meeting locations were in various parts of the state. Some of the blacks in the program refused to travel into Northern Michigan. They were very vocal about this. I lost quite a bit of respect for them after that. After all, this girl from the north traveled into Detroit in order to fulfill the requirements of the program.

One more thing, when I returned to the city from the northern part of Michigan, I was worried I might say the "wrong" thing or might not be as knowledgeable about diversity. That fear was unfounded. I've never met so many racists as I have in the city and in surrounding areas. Many of the racists are black.

English, please don't make such a region or ethnicity, unless you've lived there.

Thank you.

Black Michiganders didn't just come up with the "don't go up North" mantra for no reason at all. You'd do well to learn a little history before you lecture me over a lighthearted, throwaway comment.

In that original post, I could have said more about "up North" from PERSONAL experience. H*ll, I could say more about what you've typed above, but I'll show you more respect than you've done for me and your classmates... and refrain. But thanks for confirming what we already know.

And by the way, you're quite welcome.

What about West Grand Blvd.? I hear thats a rough area too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocean2026 View Post
    thanks for the link Davies.

Kelly -Hope you feel really safe - those are only the crimes people lived to report lol
    Or didn't get bored waiting for the Police and gave up on filing a report.

Default DEROIT DANGEROUS ?? NO WAY People are dangerous

What ALL of you folks fail to realize, is that the detroit police are a sad state.
    It is their job to "Roust" these rats who would , throw bricks at you, call you names, try and rob, extort and cause the City it "EARNED" reputation.
    I want a Badge, and a Boss who wont Stop me, and Watch how much the City Gets More Safe !!
    What is Required is to let ALL the low life's know that the police WIL NOT let this continue, with NO APOLOGIES !
    If your a rat, Get out or Get Ready for BIG Troubles in your life !NOT A CUSHY jail cell, Just Shipped out of the state, Jus hasssled until you Cry uncle !
    Just made misable, Until you learn, on that same level as a dog does, YOu make Trouble, IT AINT WORTH IT !

Any particular areas you wouldn't want to get lost at?
    Yeah - 11 Mile and Main Street in downtown Royal Oak at about 2:10 am on a Friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMac View Post
    What about West Grand Blvd.? I hear thats a rough area too.
    WGB and what? Near the hospital it's pretty nice. Not bad all the way down near Fort Street either.

1) Northeast, N. Of Harper, East of Gratiot. That old precint at one time had the highest number of priority calls in the nation.

2) Dexter or Linwood, the further south the worse. An old supervisor of mine grew up there and said "Ha ha, Id like to see you try to go down there. Id pay to watch that."

3) 7 mile/8 mile and 75. Absolutely rotted. Over 1/2 the houses are boarded. Lots and lots of dopers and hookers.The vagrants at the 8 Mile bridge are the more desireable denizens there.They just want money, not to peddle filth. And it seems like every week, I see another house burned just within view from 75.

Lets be fair, the suburbs have some bad places too. Pontiac, much as I like that city, has multiple bad areas. Mt. Clemens, Walnut street north of downtown, Dickinson/Rathbone on the east end. The Norwayne area of Westland is kind of iffy. Im trying to be fair and not single out the city.

The Coleman A. Young Municipal Center City Council Chamber hands down!

Default Dangerous Areas

One time I talked to a guy who worked for Michigan Bell who collected coins frome the pay phones. He said Rosa Parks frome W. Grand Blvd. to Highland Park and the surrounding area was the worst in his opinion. At least in terms of robberies.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast