Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Occupy Detroit

Hybrid View

Here are people being detained or arrested in New York for trying to close their Citibank accounts. See 1:25 in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=S6svA6Qvq1U

I encourage anyone with a Citibank account to close it today.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph C. Krause View Post
    Here are people being detained or arrested in New York for trying to close their Citibank accounts. See 1:25 in particular.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=S6svA6Qvq1U

I encourage anyone with a Citibank account to close it today.
    I closed my account from the "bank from hell" BOA back in July...

My neighbor almost lost his house to BOA back in July... he finally got some family members to cough up the $16K to bring it back to current. Right afterwards he got a statement from the bank... that the [[now replenished) Escrow account has $6000 in it... $3000 more than they need, so they're refunding him $3000.... So in essence he really needed to pay only $13K... but the bank made him go thru hell to get $16K... only to give back $3K right away... talk about idiots...

im not a huge supporter of the occupy movement but have no problem with people closing up their BofA, Chase, Citibank accounts.... this is the real way to make change... although they don't give a rats ass about one account with $1,000 bucks, once a good majority of people close their accounts they will feel the pain...... I closed my BofA account before the occupy movement started, mainly because of the $5 fee they planned to charge and also because they refused to issue a credit for an overdraft on an already closed account... they were just going to charge me monthly until the balance was out of control.... I actually had to pay to close it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    im not a huge supporter of the occupy movement but have no problem with people closing up their BofA, Chase, Citibank accounts.... this is the real way to make change... although they don't give a rats ass about one account with $1,000 bucks, once a good majority of people close their accounts they will feel the pain...... I closed my BofA account before the occupy movement started, mainly because of the $5 fee they planned to charge and also because they refused to issue a credit for an overdraft on an already closed account... they were just going to charge me monthly until the balance was out of control.... I actually had to pay to close it.....
    Goose, your story hit close to home.... my late mother [[passed away last year) had a BOA account... and my sister and I were on it. Well a similar situation happened with an account that just would not close. We too were surprised to learn that BOA would re-open a closed account if ANY transactions went against it. It took us months and months to finally close it.

BoA also has been refusing to close people's accounts. I closed mine several years ago because they were acting evil but I've forgotten the specifics. All of this makes me want to close it again somehow.

Oh, the National Review said that? Could you post a more irrelevant link? Maybe follow it up with some Beck or the biggest ass of them all, Rush? Yeah, that will inform your friends.

Really really really. Of all the dumb links, this one is the cake-taker.

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    Oh, the National Review said that? Could you post a more irrelevant link? Maybe follow it up with some Beck or the biggest ass of them all, Rush? Yeah, that will inform your friends.

Really really really. Of all the dumb links, this one is the cake-taker.
    Typical - ignore the discomforting facts and change the subject by attacking the messenger.

Taking your approach to its logical conclusion, then the Occupy Detroit protest must be "really really really" irrelevant, since there currently isn't any reporting on OD at the supposedly "relevant" sites like The Nation, the Wire, HuffPo, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Typical - ignore the discomforting facts and change the subject by attacking the messenger.

Taking your approach to its logical conclusion, then the Occupy Detroit protest must be "really really really" irrelevant, since there currently isn't any reporting on OD at the supposedly "relevant" sites like The Nation, the Wire, HuffPo, etc.
    Probably since there are hundreds of protests now, and more internationally. It makes sense that the only people who feel the need to talk about Occupy Detroit are those who wish to poke fun at it, since it's in a union town and it's not a huge protest at the moment. What's easier to write? A piece on the national scale of the movement, even as winter sets in, or a quick and dirty round of sh*t-talking about Rosa Parks getting robbed and DDOT running late, with little to no emphasis on anything the protesters have said? [[as Charlie Leduff did a couple days ago)
    Last edited by j to the jeremy; October-17-11 at 11:38 AM.

I'm also not surprised that no one has tried to defend CitiBank for having their own [[former) customers arrested. That'll get you some new accounts opened!

All this just makes me proud I've always been a member of a Credit Union. Does no one realize it's that simple to make a small change?

I was just on Facebook and saw an announcement that Occupy Detroit needs medical personnel to volunteer at one of their tents. Until now, my feelings about the Occupy movement were sort of neutral. But now they're pssing me me off! Those campers are already eating donated food and sleeping on donated blankets and now they want donated medical care??? If sleeping outdoors in October has given some of them the sniffles, why don't they just go home? I think it is downright shameful for those middle class people to accept freebies when the bottom one percent is a few blocks away in the Cass Corridor.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferL View Post
    I was just on Facebook and saw an announcement that Occupy Detroit needs medical personnel to volunteer at one of their tents. Until now, my feelings about the Occupy movement were sort of neutral. But now they're pssing me me off! Those campers are already eating donated food and sleeping on donated blankets and now they want donated medical care??? If sleeping outdoors in October has given some of them the sniffles, why don't they just go home? I think it is downright shameful for those middle class people to accept freebies when the bottom one percent is a few blocks away in the Cass Corridor.
    Part of the protest is envisioning what a real democratic society looks like. That would be one in which we, as the people, want the people to be cared for above all else. To say that they should not do this because other people need help too is borderline ridiculous. To complain about these have-somes not helping the have-nots is counterproductive when you consider the top 1 percent are the ones hosing us all.

Here's a thought: Maybe you weren't neutral to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Part of the protest is envisioning what a real democratic society looks like. That would be one in which we, as the people, want the people to be cared for above all else. To say that they should not do this because other people need help too is borderline ridiculous. To complain about these have-somes not helping the have-nots is counterproductive when you consider the top 1 percent are the ones hosing us all.

Here's a thought: Maybe you weren't neutral to begin with?

I was neutral enough that I considered going down there at one point. But the more I see and hear from the Occupy movement, the less I like it. The Tea Party had the exact same effect on me.

I was neutral enough that I considered going down there at one point. But the more I see and hear from the Occupy movement, the less I like it. The Tea Party had the exact same effect on me.
    Well, I'll just tell you what my mom told me. In 1968, she thought a lot of those kids protesting were awful, un-American, privileged and wrong, wrong, wrong. By 1974, she realized that those kids had been right all along...

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that they are doing a GREAT DEAL to assist the homeless by feeding them, clothing them, and providing medical assistance. They need help because a lot of people need their help. They are really putting a lot of effort into this.

I was just on Facebook and saw an announcement that Occupy Detroit needs medical personnel to volunteer at one of their tents. Until now, my feelings about the Occupy movement were sort of neutral. But now they're pssing me me off! If sleeping outdoors in October has given some of them the sniffles, why don't they just go home?
    Yeah! If something you care strongly about is hard and uncomfortable, why not just quit??? What a bunch of lazy...oh wait.

[[Seriously, who do you think is donating the food, blankets, and medical care? The same people camping out in the park and attending the general assemblies.)

It's a great relief to see people finally protesting the protesters. That indicates that the apathy tipping point has been crossed and that means the movement has entered "the genie is out of the bottle" stage—it can't be as easily put back.

The first week or so, no one noticed. Now it's noticed all over the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It's a great relief to see people finally protesting the protesters. That indicates that the apathy tipping point has been crossed and that means the movement has entered "the genie is out of the bottle" stage—it can't be as easily put back.

The first week or so, no one noticed. Now it's noticed all over the world!
    What are you talking about?

The UAW needs to stop bailing out the Democrats with the UAW giving millions of dollars to those democrats who allow this change to happen.

It means the people protesting the protesters are afraid of what it will become. That's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It means the people protesting the protesters are afraid of what it will become. That's progress.
    They never change. Right up until the end in 1941, Harry Bennett was calling the UAW "terrorists." Right until they lose, they keep saying it's nothing, it's a ragtag bunch of losers who; for some reason, despite their total disorganization, could destroy our way of life.

But also beware the Democrats trying to come in and "lead" this movement...

But also beware the Democrats trying to come in and "lead" this movement...
    No doubt there. Yet this time the activists are passionately resisting having any leader. It seems to be a lack of confidence in the very concept of leadership itself. This may well turn out to be a unique moment in history.

it's a ragtag bunch of losers who; for some reason, despite their total disorganization, could destroy our way of life.
    Which is what?

I don't want to put words in Jimaz's mouth, but I think she was trying to articulate what Gandhi said more eloquently as:

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win"

You guys are hilarious. You're so focused on unions and the democrats that you can't see that the corrupt people running Wall Street and raping the American economy own BOTH parties. Yeah, go on. Get all excited about the unions. Jeez ...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast