Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 2 New Residential High-Rises to Overlook Comerica Park

"A new residential high-rise building with more than 20 stories is planned near Comerica Park, Crain's has learned."

Story says it would be east of Woodward, but no specific site is known.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article..._medium=social

I'm assuming the parking lots in front of comerica? it said they will overlook the stadium

From previous renderings that I've seen, that would go next to the GVSU Detroit Center/Barden Companies Building. But that's just my guess.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/7/21...arena-district

Of course these renderings and report has Ilitch is way behind on some of these timelines. No surprise there.

Name:  District.jpg
Views: 4398
Size:  131.2 KB

I recall somewhere reading that chris illitch was rethinking the 4-5 story heights on the woodward-fronting apartment buildings and that the project scope would be much larger. I think the height being on woodward + q-line makes the most financial sense for them

This makes the BS excuse for the demolition of the Park Avenue Hotel rather ironic now doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    From previous renderings that I've seen, that would go next to the GVSU Detroit Center/Barden Companies Building. But that's just my guess.

https://detroit.curbed.com/2014/7/21...arena-district

Of course these renderings and report has Ilitch is way behind on some of these timelines. No surprise there.
    You're right. It's hardly the 1st time this has been announced but the last article I remember for the sight next to GVSU was for a hotel.

I am guessing this will go on the southernmost lot right along Woodward. I don't think they are ready to block the view of the Fox from Comerica and I don't think they would go that tall behind the ballpark to ruin the view of the skyline we currently have.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am guessing this will go on the southernmost lot right along Woodward. I don't think they are ready to block the view of the Fox from Comerica and I don't think they would go that tall behind the ballpark to ruin the view of the skyline we currently have.
    Are you referring to the block defined by E. Elizabeth and Witherell?

Anything next GVSU would have to be say 4 or 5 stories high.

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    Are you referring to the block defined by E. Elizabeth and Witherell?

Anything next GVSU would have to be say 4 or 5 stories high.
    I am thinking the tower will be fronting Woodward and Elizabeth.

I looked into the company they are partnering with to potentially build this and they do "Live!" districts all over the country which combine chain retail and restaurants with a common spaces used for concerts and other things. I have a feeling that the tower will be on one block and the other block fronting Comerica will have one of these generic entertainment "things." It actually makes sense given all of the renderings and language they have been using for the district.

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    I am thinking the tower will be fronting Woodward and Elizabeth.

I looked into the company they are partnering with to potentially build this and they do "Live!" districts all over the country which combine chain retail and restaurants with a common spaces used for concerts and other things. I have a feeling that the tower will be on one block and the other block fronting Comerica will have one of these generic entertainment "things." It actually makes sense given all of the renderings and language they have been using for the district.
    Okay. Actually we are thinking the same. I was referring to what you posted.

It is the block of Woodward/E. Elizabeth/Witherell/E. Columbia.

IF it happens [[emphasis on IF), I like the 20 story high-rise concept if built in the correct location.

A bad location would be the wedge block south of Adams, next to Grand Circus Park [[site #1 on the illustration posted previously). I could see them doing it because then they would have 20 stories of apartments looking into the stadium, which would be easy to market. I hate the idea though because it would kill the skyline view from the ballpark, even worse than the Camden Yards Hilton did in Baltimore.

A great location would be on the block between Elizabeth and Columbia, or better yet on the south side of Elizabeth using the half block with Chelis & Central United Methodist Church.

Truthfully, I would love to see the block between Columbia and Montcalm remain open, ideally as a plaza, but even as a surface lot. I think leaving that block open provides a lot of great views, and as downtown rebounds, I think an effort has to be made to keep the great vistas in place. Obviously it would be great if development was built north of Montcalm and south of Columbia to surround this block, but a plaza there could be a really great addition to the city.

Memo to the Ilitch organization: How about practicing with the Eddystone Hotel and the United Artists buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by ParisianLesion View Post
    This makes the BS excuse for the demolition of the Park Avenue Hotel rather ironic now doesn't it?
    The excuse given was for a loading dock large enough to accommodate entertainers of all scale which was of course complete and utter BS

Quote Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
    A great location would be on the block between Elizabeth and Columbia, or better yet on the south side of Elizabeth using the half block with Chelis & Central United Methodist Church.
    I agree this would be a great slice of real estate to use. Here's the thing. The parking lot next to Cheli's is owned by the Stadium Authority.
    The lot behind Cheli's is owned by Central United Methodist Church and two parcels fronting Woodward are owned by Stadium Authority and the church.

The two large parking lots fronting Woodward in front of Comerica are owned by the Stadium Authority. The only lot Olympia owns is the one on Adams next to GVSU.

All information is from MakeLoveland.com

With a half dozen dining/drinking establishments already open on Park, renovations in progress at the Detroit Life Building [[which I assume will include a retail/commercial component), and the activation of Columbia Street with the new LC HQ and flagship store, I see a demand coming for housing in the greater Fox neighborhood. A 21 story building may be just the start in this area as far as large scale residential developments go.

Quote Originally Posted by Zads07 View Post
    I agree this would be a great slice of real estate to use. Here's the thing. The parking lot next to Cheli's is owned by the Stadium Authority.
    The lot behind Cheli's is owned by Central United Methodist Church and two parcels fronting Woodward are owned by Stadium Authority and the church.

The two large parking lots fronting Woodward in front of Comerica are owned by the Stadium Authority. The only lot Olympia owns is the one on Adams next to GVSU.

All information is from MakeLoveland.com
    Anyone know how the Stadium Authority is set up? Does Olympia have options on SA land? Or is there any mechanism to allow them to lease the land to build?

Ilitch already had plans to build on that property [[the 2 blocks in front of the Fox, and 1/2 block of the St. Johns Church). Ownership is probably just for tax purposes. The parking lots are available to the Ilitch's to develop as they please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Ilitch already had plans to build on that property [[the 2 blocks in front of the Fox, and 1/2 block of the St. Johns Church). Ownership is probably just for tax purposes. The parking lots are available to the Ilitch's to develop as they please.
    I would think the expression '99 year lease' might be applicable.

This is a big story but not an unexpected one. The idea of building opposite the Fillmore has been long assumed as Gistok indicates.

The only thing difference seems to be instead of two blocks of mid-rise residential buildings we know one block will be residential and and very tall.

And maybe instead of two blocks of mid-rises, the Ilitiches may have opted for one very tall building and open space, instead.

This project sounds like 2019 to me. The 2018 calendar seems full with projects already announced.
    Last edited by emu steve; January-30-18 at 03:18 AM.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/b...velopment.html

the times has a little more content regarding cordish companies' vision and what's happening in KC with Power & Light district

although tax revenue from the district is steadily increasing, it is not clear that enough will be generated to cover the debt service.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/19/b...velopment.html

the times has a little more content regarding cordish companies' vision and what's happening in KC with Power & Light district

although tax revenue from the district is steadily increasing, it is not clear that enough will be generated to cover the debt service.

Agree. Whatever legalisms for building on those lots was probably solved years ago and the last one, with St. Johns church, solved what two [[?) years ago.

I still maintain, to the dismay of some posters here, is that the Ilitches are trying to manage this District Detroit effort on a semblance of sanity. The arena and parking garages first, Ilitch school of business [[I know it is a WSU project but it still impacts construction), LC headquarters next, then previously announced housing developments in the arena area, etc. as announced, then this housing development, etc. etc.

As we've discussed many times, between what is happening in District Detroit and now with Gilbert at the Hudson's site, etc. there will be a lot of ongoing construction in the area taxing the supply of skilled construction workers.
    Last edited by emu steve; January-30-18 at 10:17 AM.

Well their "sanity" starts with slash and burn first. They're trying to raze the Cass/Henry block of 6 historic apartment buildings for parking... and in the same breath build anew somewhere else. They've not restored one building since the Fox Theatre 30 years ago.

And the area where they are building now once had the attractive 17 story Wolverine Hotel that they had razed... now they could have used it for a stylish rehab... right across the street from Comerica Park.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Linen-P...l#&gid=1&pid=1

Quote Originally Posted by emu steve View Post
    I still maintain, to the dismay of some posters here, is that the Ilitches are trying to manage this District Detroit effort on a semblance of sanity. The arena and parking garages first, Ilitch school of business [[I know it is a WSU project but it still impacts construction), LC headquarters next, then previously announced housing developments in the arena area, etc. as announced, then this housing development, etc. etc.
    Of course you do. Nothing will change about you EMU Steve, you clearly think of Ilitch as God as think he's the best thing to ever happen to the city of Detroit.

SANITY my ass, they do it for the money, not for damn sanity. If you even bothered to click on the link above, which I doubt, you'll see the timeline of the buildings is WAY OFF. Maybe you should stop praying to your Ilitch God and start looking at him in a different light. My goodness, it's insane on every thread you defend this guy. It's getting old, it's getting annoying.

Well their "sanity" starts with slash and burn first. They're trying to raze the Cass/Henry block of 6 historic apartment buildings for parking... and in the same breath build anew somewhere else. They've not restored one building since the Fox Theatre 30 years ago.

And the area where they are building now once had the attractive 17 story Wolverine Hotel that they had razed... now they could have used it for a stylish rehab... right across the street from Comerica Park.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Linen-P...l#&gid=1&pid=1
    Damn shame about the Wolverine Hotel :/
    I agree with most everybody on this thread that the Ilitches are far from perfect in their development history. At least they're not the Morouns lmao.

Contrary to what anyone says... it looks like the Ilitch's demolition derby of Detroit continues unabated.....

https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...ing-demolition

Dan Gilbert would have restored this.... Chris Ilitch will make sure it becomes parking... no they have learned nothing about making making ANY sanity out of Destination Detroit... until it looks like "Hall Road Neo-Classic".....

This terra cotta clad century old beauty will likely be more parking with future development far into the future.

In 1963 the New York Times had this to say of the continuing demolition of the glorious Penn Central Station... "we will probably be remembered more for what we have destroyed, that for what we have saved". Amen.

The Ilitch's are still destroying the historic fabric of the city... one block at a time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; January-30-18 at 10:10 PM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast