Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Accenture opens new corporate office in Detroit's downtown

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...wn/2161253002/

Dan Garrison, Accenture managing director in Detroit, said on Friday the company was located in downtown Detroit in 1997 when he first joined the business. A visit to Detroit last year motivated company officials to return."We were inspired by what was happening in Detroit," Garrison said. "It was visible that this was a different city, and a city we wanted to be more a part of."
    Moving downtown gives the company the opportunity to work with start-ups and many of its clients, Garrison said, as well as community organizations.
    "Part of us moving downtown and bringing this space to life is to retain the incredible talent we have and tap into the talent Detroit has to offer, talent that is hungry, imaginative, creative, that perseveres," Garrison said.

Nice.

"Accenture believes Detroit has the DNA to become known as the Silicon Valley of the Midwest, and we want to be here to write those future chapters of Detroit's history," he said.

I share their vision

Quote Originally Posted by SammyS View Post
    Nice.

"Accenture believes Detroit has the DNA to become known as the Silicon Valley of the Midwest, and we want to be here to write those future chapters of Detroit's history," he said.

I share their vision
    I'm as big of a Detroit booster as anyone, but to say that Detroit might become the Silicon Valley of the Midwest is a bit of a stretch IMO. We lack the deep tech talent pool of places like Silicon Valley, Seattle, Austin, and Chicago. And I'm not sure how we compare when it comes to venture capital deals and easy access to venture capital. That's another critical component of a thriving tech ecosystem. While it's nice to see local tech companies move downtown and invest downtown, we aren't drawing much in the way of outside [[national and international) investment. Something that is really hurting us is our lack of a functioning regional mass transit system.

All of that said, it's nice to Accenture, Tata, Microsoft, Amazon [[their regional office in 150. W. Jefferson), LinkedIn, and Google come to the city. Hopefully there will be more to come. But I think Chicago will rightfully have a firm hold on the title of Silicon Valley of the Midwest for many years to come. Their tech ecosystem DWARFS metro Detroit's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind field View Post
    I'm as big of a Detroit booster as anyone, but to say that Detroit might become the Silicon Valley of the Midwest is a bit of a stretch IMO..
    ^^^Quite possibly the biggest understatement ever.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Did you expect any of those mentioned tech companies [[with the exception of Amazon) to be in Detroit only a few years ago? I don’t think anyone did a I don’t think anyone is sure what’s coming.

Did you expect any of those mentioned tech companies [[with the exception of Amazon) to be in Detroit only a few years ago? I don’t think anyone did a I don’t think anyone is sure what’s coming.
    With exception to Amazon and LinkedIn, most of them were already in *Metro* Detroit. The fact that they're relocating downtown is the equivalent of shuffling a deck of cards.

But besides that, these are very tiny back offices with only a few hundred people at most. It would be great for a small town or suburb, but simply pales in comparison to the huge operation centers, regional HQs and even global HQs with thousands or even tens of thousands of employees in places like Chicago.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-02-18 at 08:33 PM.

^^
    Well, this could only draw other tech companies in. It’s how they poach talent from one another.

^^
    Well, this could only draw other tech companies in. It’s how they poach talent from one another.
    Detroit has a LONG ways to go before its ecosystem is that mature enough.

Something no one here wants to talk about; our weather is a major negative when it comes to attracting top talent from Silicon Valley; if you are an extremely sought-after engineer, would you rather live in Californa's climate, or trudge through slush for 6 months a year in Michigan?

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Something no one here wants to talk about; our weather is a major negative when it comes to attracting top talent from Silicon Valley; if you are an extremely sought-after engineer, would you rather live in Californa's climate, or trudge through slush for 6 months a year in Michigan?
    That doesn't seem to hurt Chicago, Boston, Toronto or even Minneapolis and Pittsburgh.

It's a straw that breaks the camel's back and it adds insult to injury, but only on top of Detroit's other numerous problems.

more tech companies should outreach Detroit's urban schools for talent development programs.

That doesn't seem to hurt Chicago, Boston, Toronto or even Minneapolis and Pittsburgh.

It's a straw that breaks the camel's back and it adds insult to injury, but only on top of Detroit's other numerous problems.
    I’d rather live in DT Detroit than in an incubator or my car in Silicon Valley

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/si...143222578.html

I’d rather live in DT Detroit than in an incubator or my car in Silicon Valley

https://sg.finance.yahoo.com/news/si...143222578.html
    That's *IF* [[big fat *IF*) you can find a job with comparable wages/office culture in DT Detroit and aren't concerned about long term career growth or living in an already vibrant location full of amenities.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-03-18 at 10:15 AM.

I don't agree that this is entirely implausible. Looking at what Detroit already has in terms of large/ growing businesses that could help win the title of "Midwest Silicon Valley" we have some good building blocks. Quicken was the 14th largest mortgage lender in the US in 2010, today they are sitting on top of that pile mostly due to technology innovation and dominating online lending. We also have the GM, Ford, and if they are successful in looking beyond their history and succeed in becoming "mobility companies" rather than car companies I think they will have a lot to do with bringing more tech to the region.

Comprehensive mass transit and strides in public education with a focus on STEM and skilled trades would go a long way to making this area all it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by K-slice View Post
    I don't agree that this is entirely implausible. Looking at what Detroit already has in terms of large/ growing businesses that could help win the title of "Midwest Silicon Valley" we have some good building blocks. Quicken was the 14th largest mortgage lender in the US in 2010, today they are sitting on top of that pile mostly due to technology innovation and dominating online lending. We also have the GM, Ford, and if they are successful in looking beyond their history and succeed in becoming "mobility companies" rather than car companies I think they will have a lot to do with bringing more tech to the region.

Comprehensive mass transit and strides in public education with a focus on STEM and skilled trades would go a long way to making this area all it can be.
    Problem is, when removing all of the facades, they're still not tech companies. They don't have nearly the amount of cash on hand to successfully compete with the real tech companies in Silicon Valley when it comes to attracting talent as well as building/marketing innovative products.

But I could be wrong. Maybe you'll be right with your optimistic expectations.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-03-18 at 02:48 PM.

Those areas aren't tech centers analogous to Silicon Valley, though. I don't doubt weather hurts.

Really only Boston is a serious tech center, and that's largely due to the universities and legacy of microcomputer innovation. The other cities aren't known for tech, at all.

Those companies are in every major metro. Firms like Google are everywhere. And a lot of bigtech staffing in Detroit is due to auto industry advertising. It isn't like they're hiring tons of software dudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Those areas aren't tech centers analogous to Silicon Valley, though. I don't doubt weather hurts.

Really only Boston is a serious tech center, and that's largely due to the universities and legacy of microcomputer innovation. The other cities aren't known for tech, at all.
    The point was those cities all have a more established and thriving tech ecosystem than Detroit and, compared to Detroit, they have less of a problem attracting tech talent.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    Have you been to San Francisco? Yeah their winters aren't as bad as here but the weather there generally sucks year round. It's never warm and rains a lot. The warmest month of the year there has an average high temp of 71.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    Have you been to San Francisco?...the weather there generally sucks year round. It's never warm and rains a lot...
    Que?

San Francisco

Average Yearly Rainfall = 23.65"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 69
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours = 3,062

Detroit

Average Yearly Rainfall = 33.47"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 55
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours =2,436

Yeah, I've been to San Fran many times. It has remarkably better weather than Michigan. Not even a discussion.

Que?

San Francisco

Average Yearly Rainfall = 23.65"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 69
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours = 3,062

Detroit

Average Yearly Rainfall = 33.47"
    Percent Possible Sunshine = 55
    Mean Monthly Sunshine Hours =2,436
    San Francisco only has one season, which would be similar to mid-April in Detroit. Everybody loves it in January and hates it in July.

However, Silicon Valley has much better weather than San Francisco itself. Silicon Valley has weather that is more similar to stereotypical California.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post

Yeah, Boston is the closest thing to a Silicon Valley in the east. I could see a case for Pittsburgh being a very, very, very distant second. But Pittsburgh is so distant that it is anyone's game.

Pittsburgh benefits from having the major universities actually in the city. Silicon Valley ended up where it is because Stanford is there. It has only been in the past decade or so that tech has meaningfully spilled out of the Valley and gone into San Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    However, Silicon Valley has much better weather than San Francisco itself. Silicon Valley has weather that is more similar to stereotypical California.
    Well of course.

It's in a valley [[compressional heating from downsloping) and also doesn't get an onshore flow as often as SF.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-04-18 at 01:31 PM.

Detroit's path to being the next Silicon Valley is to do all in its power to have the next big thing get created in Detroit. The way to do this is to create an environment to help out promising startups in all the ways that the city possibly can. Get all of the deep pockets in the region together to create capital funds focused on companies based in Detroit. Get the deep pocketed companies in the region to fund open and low cost work spaces.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast