Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by courtney View Post

I'll keep his family in my thoughts - especially his child. How awful for them all.
    I don't think he had any children.

A few folks have asked me about plans for a memorial service. I have no solid information as I believe Christine, along with John's family, are dealing with everything.

My general feeling though is that they would prefer a celebration-of-life service on Belle Isle once the weather warms.

John loved Belle Isle.

^^^ Yes, that would be fitting. I recall one of his last posts about being on the isle about the time of that wind storm we had. I'll miss his detailed posts about his adventures, etc. Thanks for keeping us posted G.

I want to stress that I in no way speak for those closest to Gannon; moreover, I do not want mislead anyone or to overstep my position. I want to respect the family's grief while they deal with this overwhelming loss.

Yet, in many ways you too are grieving and it is natural to want to do something to show how much you loved our friend.

^^^ Yes, absolutely. Thank you for your words and information.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-16-17 at 07:30 AM.

Terrible to hear. Though I never met the man, he would express himself about topics that reflected a rare facet of myself as I could see in his posts. I find less to connect with here, with his passing and the passing of others.

He was a true Detroiter.

Not to be discordant, but in keeping with Gannon's informative nature, I have these to add: as a former asthmatic, asthma medicines do cause terrible effects to the body. The ones I took did severe rotting damage to my adrenal glands over a course of time. Thanks to managing my blood sugar and deep-breathing exercises [[thank you, Paul Sorvino) I haven't had an asthma attack in 12 years [[due to a dog-hair heavy clean-up operation) and six years before that [[due to ingesting a popular brand of yogurt that had crushed up red-insect parts in it).

Someone asked about Berlioz: he was a 19th century French composer most renowned for his "Symphonie Fantastique" [[portions of which have been used in Stanley Kubrick films). Though Wikipedia states he is not Christian, he did a very good Te Deum [[Christian hymn of praise).

Quite saddened by the news. I was fortunate enough to meet him a number of times at various DY events years ago.

Wow. Horrible news. It seems that life is bringing us much more bad news than good news lately but I guess that's what happens in life when get older. He was always a nice guy and loved his posts. He will truly be missed.

My heart is broken for the Gannon family and really for all of us. Gannon was the father of so many insights and moments shifted paradigm. I can only cry out at our loss.

Gannon and I chatted by text message and occasionally FaceBook. I was looking forward to meeting him in person.

So sorry. John will be missed. Great guy. Maybe make a memorial piece for Belle Isle, maybe a rock formation like Django used to make

Quote Originally Posted by pgn421 View Post
    So sorry. John will be missed. Great guy. Maybe make a memorial piece for Belle Isle, maybe a rock formation like Django used to make
    ... and in the Old Miami on Cass Avenue. Amongst friends of Django and Gannon, that will get more visitors than Belle Isle.

So sorry to hear this. I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but his posts here at DYes have stayed with me through the years. As a long time member, his contributions never failed to light up a thread. My condolences to his family and friends.

I signed up today with my old handle so I could post in remembrance of Gannon. He's the only person from DYes I ever met in real life - I was at an event at Eastern Market ~10 years ago where he was in charge of the sound. I knew his name from the forum. He knew mine too, but his online presence here was far superior to mine.

I recall years ago that he pointed out that he was one of the only forumers who posted using his real last name. He stood behind every post. He was a good man.

Luvhifi, someday I'll run Grandma's Marathon in your honor.
    Last edited by machoken; April-20-17 at 08:39 AM.

What extremely sad news. I have been preoccupied with my own father's short terminal illness over the past few weeks, and now I return here to see this. As an asthmatic myself, I live in constant fear of the truly bad day and having something like this happen to me. So it just gets sadder and sadder. But, like my life-long Detroiter dad, I'm sure Gannon would prefer that we celebrate his life and our city than sit around feeling sorry for something that is out of the control of all of us.

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. I always enjoyed his posts. I also have to say I always thought of him when I heard the "hum" where I live; although I have never met anyone from this group in person. May he rest in peace. Bless you all out there - and sorry to hear that ErieDearie is gone as well.

Our deepest sympathies to John's family and friends. We met and talked with him a few times and always enjoyed our discussions! Hoping there will be a memorial service we can attend to pay our respects.

Don and Phyllis

ps: Sorry this took so long to post. I forgot the username and password because I hadn't posted in so long. Will try to remedy that!

Any update on a service or arrangements for John? Does anyone know his favorite charity?

I'm watching John's Facebook page as his sister posted there that the family is planning a memorial service once the weather gets warm. I keep checking every couple days to see if she has posted a date, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I'm watching John's Facebook page as his sister posted there that the family is planning a memorial service once the weather gets warm. I keep checking every couple days to see if she has posted a date, etc.
    Ok, thanks Kathleen.

Death notice in today's Free Press:
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/fre...5806&fhid=3228

No date yet announced for the celebration of John's life.

This just doesn't seem possible. Me sure. Not Gannon. The saddness his dad and family are feeling must be overwhelming.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    This just doesn't seem possible. Me sure. Not Gannon. The saddness his dad and family are feeling must be overwhelming.
    I was so looking forward to meeting John in person and spending time with him. I was hoping he would become as close a friend as Django had been for me.

John's sister Terri just posted this Save the Date on his FB page:
    "Belle Isle event date Thursday, July 27th, early evening 6 to 10 pm to celebrate my brother John's life. ... We would love to meet you and share happy memories of him. ...Live music and happy stories just like he would want"

I will post details as they become available.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    John's sister Terri just posted this Save the Date on his FB page:
    "Belle Isle event date Thursday, July 27th, early evening 6 to 10 pm to celebrate my brother John's life. ... We would love to meet you and share happy memories of him. ...Live music and happy stories just like he would want"

I will post details as they become available.
    I can't see any such details on John Gannon's FaceBook page. Can you supply the relevant link, if possible?

John and I were FB friends, but somehow we are not anymore. Maybe he had two FB pages and I was friended to him on his other FB?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast