Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default New car commercials

What's with the new Cadillac and other SUV commercials showing people driving like fools on snow covered roads with kids in the car ?

I've always hated car commercials and wondered who are they really appealing to with all that woke marketing.

This from a few years ago totally emasculates the man.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMR8zTsyphY

What an unappreciative bitch she is in this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bvrem8e9LHI

Married couples don't and should not behave this way and to your point, should not drive recklessly to prove anything.

Car commercials are where advertising creativity goes to die.

In fairness it's hard to advertise borderline useless, extremely expensive garbage. And the fact that you have to get a shady ass loan that doesn't even check your credit is like the rotten cherry on top

Ad agencies who do auto commercials should be drawn and quartered. Every one shows cars driven recklessly and endangering the rest of the world. Been my pet peeve for decades. Further, how do you drive a vehicle through a mud puddle and end up spotless at the end of the commercial?

Attention: Detroit area people who work for ad agencies: WAKE UP TO THE REAL FRIGGIN' WORLD, will ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    In fairness it's hard to advertise borderline useless, extremely expensive garbage. And the fact that you have to get a shady ass loan that doesn't even check your credit is like the rotten cherry on top
    Back around 1960, a book was written called "The Insolent Chariots"in which the author took to task the domestic automotive industry [[95% American at the time) and came up with the conclusion that the manufacturer-dealer-customer relationship was such that "car are made by oafs for thieves to sell to mental defectives".

Still better than all those tiresome ads with a group of dorks ohhing and ahhing over stupid JD Power awards.

Sounds about right. You can get a decent car for 3000 on Craigslist without a monthly payment and insurance is optional😉

Commercials aren't true, it's make believe with hocus pocus magic mixed in

^^^Fa Real? And here I was thinking the Puppymonkeybaby was real. Mountain Dew really got me with that one

Car commercials sell aspirations. Aspirations sell cars. Cars - literally - drive the economy around here.

Complaining about commercials is akin to complaining about rain. You don’t get food without it.

I'd love to know how many cars have been sold because of the "Real People, Not Actors" commercials. Thankfully for local ad agencies, we'll never know, since TV is virtually impossible to measure at a ROI level.

Quote Originally Posted by EGrant View Post
    I'd love to know how many cars have been sold because of the "Real People, Not Actors" commercials. Thankfully for local ad agencies, we'll never know, since TV is virtually impossible to measure at a ROI level.
    I believe John Wanamaker, the famous retailer, said, “I know I waste half of every advertising dollar, I just don’t know which half.”

Commercials are creatively derivative of other commercials. They are that way because they work. Every ad agency will swear they don’t pilfer but they have to because their clients are risk-averse. Rarely is an ad manager a creative guy/gal. They are accounting folks, or manufacturing folks or engineering folks and they are pulled kicking and screaming towards anything remotely creative.

But people love commercials. That’s why you drive that Jeep or that Cadillac or that Prius. You buy into the aspiration of being rugged or suave or granolatastic.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    But people love commercials. That’s why you drive that Jeep or that Cadillac or that Prius. You buy into the aspiration of being rugged or suave or granolatastic.
    Somehow I missed the commercials for my 12 year old Focus wagon. So I wonder what aspiration I bought into?

^^
    Complaining about commercials is akin to complaining about rain. You don’t get food without it.
    But can't we have a nice warm, even pleasant rain, instead of a cold in you're face rain ? Just sayin'

Yeah, really dumb, not like the good ones from the 1960’s showing pretty girls in GTO’s and wearing mini-skirts with white GO-GO boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWHO-3rBcU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hiwodBJiY
    Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  88.7 KB

I also wonder how many people bought these cars and drove like that and ended up upside down in a ditch. After all if you see it on TV it must be true.

Detroit is no longer ""driven"" by the automotive sector.
    The sooner people realize that hard fact, the sooner Detroit will heal.
    Last edited by O3H; January-24-19 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CassTechGrad View Post
    Yeah, really dumb, not like the good ones from the 1960’s showing pretty girls in GTO’s and wearing mini-skirts with white GO-GO boots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYWHO-3rBcU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8hiwodBJiY
    Name:  cars.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  88.7 KB
    I never knew that old of a Dodge Charger had a sunroof.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Somehow I missed the commercials for my 12 year old Focus wagon. So I wonder what aspiration I bought into?
    12 year old focus wagon drivers have no aspirations; they have accomplished all of life’s difficulties and are coasting on the interest off their hefty trust funds.

Everyone knows that.

But I was speaking about new car buyers; not decerning gentleman like yourself. You are motivated by other, more important, concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    While I agree in general, fact is for me though its not even close to usless, its virtually impossible to get by without. Even if price was equal I would still give up my phone, internet, and just about everything else besides my house before I could give up my car. Its funny though, one has to wonder how much one would pay for a car if they did not have car loans.

You should be driving a Kia, from summit place kia, summit place kia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNs11Eh1hSw

You should be driving a Kia, from summit place kia, summit place kia.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNs11Eh1hSw