Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default disco's in the 70's and 80's in the metro detroit area.

Just wondering if anyone remembers going dancing in any of the many discos around the detroit area in the 70's and 80's. La'nottes disco on grosbeck in clinton twsp? The rare cherry disco on frazho rd. And gratiot. That later became the ritz. Cheeks dico i think was more west somewhere? Woodward had a few to. And vandyke and 24 mile had a small one. Also harpos adisco also. Does anyone remember standing in line at harpos on tuesday nights? Ladys night. I think it would be great to rent a hall and post and advertise a disco party for all to come from the good old dancing days .charge a small entrance fee.have the old dance tunes and a bar . I wonder how many people would show up! I bet we see alot of people from long ago. If we could get it out there . Post and pass the word. I think it would be alot of fun !

Quote Originally Posted by eastside gypsy View Post
    ... And vandyke and 24 mile had a small one....
    I think that one was a disco in name only.

The Lost Village of Disco

Default discos in metro detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    I think that one was a disco in name only.

The Lost Village of Disco
    Thanks for the info. Dont remember that one though. I remember the bar the frosty mug was next door. across the street was cafe piccorellis fine dining italian restaurant. And i think the frosty mug is now a taco place now.

Although I carried a DREAD card since 4th grade I have secretely liked disco.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Around 1975-76....

The Struttin Club....on Gratiot east of 8 Mile Rd.

The Library...on Groesbeck east of Metro Parkway.

Coral Gables in Taylor, Uncle Sams on Telegraph.

"Coral Gables in Taylor" .. was that on Ecorse rd.?

Quote Originally Posted by RaumVogel View Post
    "Coral Gables in Taylor" .. was that on Ecorse rd.?
    Yes, in the shopping center along Ecorse Rd. Went there many times as I followed my boyfriend [[now husband) to hear the bands he played in...Steppin, RPM, and New York Express.

What exactly qualifies as a "disco"?

We almost always went to hear a live band and while they might have played some true "disco" music, most of it was Top 40 dance.

How about Napoleon's in Plymouth? Frankie's in Westland? The Quarterdeck in Brownstown Twp? The 747 on Telegraph? The One on One on Telegraph?

Mr. Christian's in Royal Oak.

Trumpps on Harper near Whittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Trumpps on Harper near Whittier.
    Trumpps Jumps! hahaha went there many times and then they changed the drinking age to 21 on me!

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Trumpps Jumps! hahaha went there many times and then they changed the drinking age to 21 on me!
    We went there when it was Oliver's in the mid-70s. It's where my husband and I met! Later it became Trumps. Not sure we went there more than a couple of times as we started following the boyfriend around to all the clubs he was playing at.

"Although I carried a DREAD card since 4th grade I have secretly liked disco." A DY secret, from Django!
    I never liked it. A very attractive woman once talked me into going to The Hollywood Disco. which was the owner of the Red Carpet's attempt to eliminate paying bands. What I saw: Yes, there was only security and a DJ to pay, but a majority of the customers nursed their neon drinks all night. I think they spent all their money on clothes and cars, perhaps cocaine.
    He went back to the Red Carpet rock n roll thing, but never really recovered his former loyal, beer guzzling clientele. I miss the Red Carpet.
    Last edited by Bobl; February-24-15 at 09:23 PM.

Club Gay Haven, Jamie Coe & the Gigalo's, West Warren in Detroit 1960's Pre Disco then Disco...
    Great place for finding a date.....

Two Fingers Inn 696 & Ryan.

This thread has been moved by moderators from the Connections forum as it fitting of the better visibility of the Discuss Detroit forum.

There was Uncle Sam's/Nitro at 94/Telegraph, J.L. Seagulls at 6 Mile and Telegraph