Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Same Old Lions?

Default Same Old Lions?

Well, that positive spirit went away fast after the Lions blew this game in the second half.
    It will be interesting to see how Coach Caldwell handles this and many more defeats to come.
    Where was Calvin today?
    They hold him out of practice games to keep him fresh for the season and
    he's nowhere to be found.
    What happened to that big run stopper?
    Looks like another long season.
    I think 8-8 record is likely now [[if they are lucky). No playoffs.

This is the year.

The Lions win 7.

There's always hope. EMU thrashed Wyoming Saturday, so anything's possible.

It is the same old lions that cannot wrap their brain around the fact that a football game consist of 4 15 minute quarters. It is like they are unaware of that fact and just assume after one quarter the rest will be the same.
    Last edited by ABetterDetroit; September-13-15 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    This is the year.

The Lions win 7.
    I think that's fair. Their defense overachieved last year [[their secondary magically went from awful to excellent) and Suh, their best player, is gone, so the defense will be down.

Calvin, while still great, is in decline and no longer best in the NFL. Stafford remains average. No real reason to think they'll match last year's win total, especially with a tougher schedule. I doubt they'll make the playoffs.

If I was Caldwell I'd walk up and down the aisle and cuff up the side of the head anyone who fell asleep on the flight back.

Hear the marching
    Hear the drums
    Suppose they have a Lions game
    And nobody comes

That was one of the worst coached games I've ever seen. At one point, I seriously wondered if Caldwell, Lombardi, and Austin were having a pigeon counting contest, because they all made decisions [[or didn't make decisions) that were completely crazy.

Halftime adjustments? Nope.
    Getting their top two receivers involved? Nope. Let's play scared instead.
    Adjust coverage when the Chargers started picking apart the middle of the field? Nope.

The list goes on and on, and while the players are the one on the field, the generals are putting together the strategy, and there was no good strategy displayed yesterday after the first quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    Adjust coverage when the Chargers started picking apart the middle of the field? Nope.
    This is the one that got me. The Chargers literally ran the same couple of plays over and over again in the second half, and the Lions apparently did NOTHING to adjust for it.

Rivers goes 35/42 for over 400 yards. Keenan Allen gets a crazy 15 receptions, most of the them wide open over the middle. I know Levy was out, but that doesn't mean that the Lions were playing with 10 men, what the hell was going on with the linebackers? And, if the linebackers couldn't cover the middle, why didn't the defensive coaches make some sort of adjustment? How the hell does an NFL team get fooled the same way over and over again for an entire half+?

Same old toothless Lions, elite is something Stafferd will never be, 0-19 against winning road teams, maybe Traverse City or Grand Rapids will land an NFL franchise we can root for......

It was 1972. The DPD sent me for a four-week course on Traffic Law Enforcement at Northwestern University. My hotel room mate turned out to be a Captain from the Green Bay PD. We struck up an immediate friendship. For several years thereafter, he'd come visit me for the GB-Det game at Tiger Stadium, and I'd go to GB for the Lions away game. Along with many, many old-fashioneds and a lot of gin rummy, he converted me to be a Packer's Backer. And for that, I am truly grateful. [[Alas, poor Eli died some time ago, and is buried with his favorite putter.......but I digress..........)

Until the 9th week, I will not condemn the prospects of the team. But I want them to make the playoffs. I'm sick of "rebuilding mode" becoming an annual mantra.

Things are so bad we don't even have our regular Lion's thread.

Go Saints!!!

Stafford will in time cost Caldwell his job. The Lions hitched their wagon to a middle of the road QB who I feel won't be able to take the Lions deep into the playoffs. Its time for Stafford to be pushed at the QB position. As it is now if he got hurt the Lions season is over anyway

Bye week #10, fans will be demanding Caldwell to be sacked. Maybe Toledo or Windsor will obtain an NFL franchise we can support......getting rid of QB Kellen Moore was another blunder move.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Same old toothless Lions, elite is something Stafferd will never be, 0-19 against winning road teams, maybe Traverse City or Grand Rapids will land an NFL franchise we can root for......
    Lombadi is not the answer. Wasn't last year, won't be this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I think that's fair. Their defense overachieved last year [[their secondary magically went from awful to excellent) and Suh, their best player, is gone, so the defense will be down.

Calvin, while still great, is in decline and no longer best in the NFL. Stafford remains average. No real reason to think they'll match last year's win total, especially with a tougher schedule. I doubt they'll make the playoffs.
    I don't think Calvin is necessarily in decline. What do you expect from him, when he only gets 4 targets? Same with Tate. That is on Stafford and the OC. They need to find a way to get both of them more touches. It's mind boggling that the Lions probably have the best core of receivers in the NFL, and can't find ways to get them the ball. And the defense stayed on the field too long in 100 degree heat, because the offense couldn't stay on the field in the 2nd half.
    That in itself is a recipe for disaster when facing a gunslinger like Phillip Rivers.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; September-15-15 at 09:04 AM.

I hope Mr. Caldwell doesn’t end up being unfairly trashed as yet another placeholder coach who kneecapped the team during his tenure. Old man Ford can’t be blamed anymore. I doubt his widow is all that involved except maybe for select high-level administrative decisions, and most of that legwork probably is in the hands of Bill Ford, Jr.

Is all-pro wide receiver Calvin Johnson still a member of this team?

If the Lion's can't beat the Vikes on Sunday I'll be shocked. The Vikings looked completely DEAD last night. I cant believe the line is still three.

Even Jim Harbaugh's Michigan Wolverines can beat the Lions 45-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Even Jim Harbaugh's Michigan Wolverines can beat the Lions 45-7.
    Let's not get carried away Danny.......

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    And the defense stayed on the field too long in 100 degree heat, because the offense couldn't stay on the field in the 2nd half.
    That in itself is a recipe for disaster when facing a gunslinger like Phillip Rivers.
    Until Levy gets back it will be much the same. As much of a gunslinger as Rivers is, he had 0 attempts over 20 yards on Sunday. It's those crossing routes over the middle that exploited Detroit. Levy is the best cover LB in football, period. He almost led the league in INTS a few years back.

If the underneath throw is there, teams are going to take it all day to avoid Lions pressure. The Chargers found their "honey-hole" with Levy out. This wont be the case once he returns. Fingers crossed it's this week for that return.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    Until Levy gets back it will be much the same. As much of a gunslinger as Rivers is, he had 0 attempts over 20 yards on Sunday. It's those crossing routes over the middle that exploited Detroit. Levy is the best cover LB in football, period. He almost led the league in INTS a few years back.

If the underneath throw is there, teams are going to take it all day to avoid Lions pressure. The Chargers found their "honey-hole" with Levy out. This wont be the case once he returns. Fingers crossed it's this week for that return.
    They missed Levy for sure, still no excuse for not getting Megatron and Tate more targets. I mean what exactly did SD do to take them away? And why didn't the Lions make adjustments?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast